3d printing Show us your Prints.

Soldato
Soldato
Hello guys,

Looking at buying a 3D printer. What is the best "cheap" printer? I am looking at the creality ender 3 pro ~£250.
I am experienced in CATIA V5 so modelling etc is not a problem for me.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Filled out the form, the link to Slack doesnt work.

Only have PLA so not sure what use i will be.

Did you get the email to confirm your email address for slack? Slack is fine for me.

Also PLA is fine. PETG is prefered but PLA is fine. I have PETG on order but printing in PLA at the mo.

Hello guys,

Looking at buying a 3D printer. What is the best "cheap" printer? I am looking at the creality ender 3 pro ~£250.
I am experienced in CATIA V5 so modelling etc is not a problem for me.

Thanks

I have the normal Ender 3 and can't fault it. I'm sure you'll be happy with that.

Soldato
Soldato
Did you get the email to confirm your email address for slack? Slack is fine for me.

Also PLA is fine. PETG is prefered but PLA is fine. I have PETG on order but printing in PLA at the mo.

I have the normal Ender 3 and can't fault it. I'm sure you'll be happy with that.
Thanks. I use a prusa i3 at work but just looking for something at home.
I assume it is OK with printing TPU, PLA, PETG etc?

Man of Honour
Yes will be fine. I have printed PLA and a flexible filament, I think TPU or similar. I have PETG on the way and haven't used it yet but I know people do with success based on the slack channel for the masks.

Associate
Can any 3D print experts tell me what material would be best to print some RC car parts out of, and how to go about finding someone to print some things for me?

thanks in advance

Soldato
Can any 3D print experts tell me what material would be best to print some RC car parts out of, and how to go about finding someone to print some things for me?

thanks in advance
PETG would be suitable.

Plenty of people online. I also do commission work.

Associate
PETG would be suitable.

Plenty of people online. I also do commission work.
Is it as easy as saying PETG is good for all RC car parts? I would imagine the material and printing technology is dependant on the part and the properties required by it - a double AA kids toy is likely to need different parts to a li-ion brushless beast.

If its a plastic clip, battery holder etc then sure, a FDM part would be fine. But, if it's part of a wishbone then you probably want a printing technology with a more uniform strength like SLS (depending on the car's weight, speed, forces, etc). Or, even further if it's a turbo-nutter nitro or brushless car and the original parts are metal (I would imagine something like the drivetrain gears), then you probably need to look at direct metal laser sintering...

For some reason I have it in the back of my head that PETG is hygroscopic, so will that be dimensionally (or structurally) consistent if the RC car is used outside and gets wet regularly? (just thinking out aloud)

Then you need to think about bearing faces and critical moving parts - 3d printed parts (especially FDM) aren't renowned for their dimensional longevity as location features when also used as a bearing surface (holes soon become oval). In the past I've had to use POM (or even Oilite) sleeves/bushings in 3d printed parts, to keep holes true when supporting quickly rotating shafts.

It's basically a "how long is a piece of string" question without explicitly stating the part and its requirements (and the material of the original part, if there is one). (which I why i originally walked away from answering ;))

Man of Honour
I've done 1500 now.

And I've had to stop.

I slipped with the knife when separating a stack... Severed a tendon in my left hand.

Opps
Eeek, bad luck. Hope you quickly get back to normal.

Printer isn't playing ball for me, getting all kinds of spaghetti.

Back
Top Bottom