1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3d printing Show us your Prints.

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Dazboots, 18 Sep 2018.

1. Kiyoshi

Wise Guy

Dear god. I can guess the answer, but is any of this stuff recyclable?

2. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

No, i print mine and throw it directly into the sea.

3. V F

Capodecina

That's pretty cool!

4. Skidder

Man of Honour

Thanks for the recommendation. I took the plunge with the ender 3 and very happy. So far have printed about 50% of OpenRC F1, couple of models for the kids, some key rings and stuff. Great bit of kit.

5. Uncle Petey

Capodecina

Nice job!
    I'll probably make a start on this model over the weekend. He's gonna be a big boy!

6. Kiyoshi

Wise Guy

I'll take your avoidance to form an adult answer as a no they're not recyclable, as I thought.

7. Skidder

Man of Honour

Don't let being wrong stand in the way of your indignation. PLA is recyclable and can even be composted.

8. Em3bbs

Soldato

Isn't it pretty obvious that it is recyclable? It's literally and visibly a material designed to be heated up so it can be formed into a new shape.

9. bulb66

Wise Guy

Rather than post a image (as I'm on my phone) can I just direct you to my Instagram, link is my signature or if you have signatures off www.instagram.com/jays3dadventure.

J.

10. Haze

Mobster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dazboots

Wise Guy

My life size T800 over 500 hours printing and 2 weeks air brushing.

Added blue lights just for fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Feb 2019
  12. Efour

Caporegime

500h hours? err wow? lol

13. Puzzled

Sgarrista

Very nice work.

Have they made 3D printers yet that can print without the "layered" look? I know it is laid down in layers so hard to avoid but would sanding finely down or applying heat even out the finish?

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

Depends on the filament a bit - some the layers are very obvious others less so - I have some fake marble stuff (I think it is PETG but not 100% on that) where the layers are almost invisible. You can use various processes to smooth it up a common one IIRC uses an acetone vapour bath but very easy to overdo and spoil the print if you aren't careful.

On some prints I lightly sand and use a primer and a couple of other finishes to smooth it out.

Also how fine you print will make a difference - some of the pictures above look like they've been done at 0.15-0.2mm - 0.06-0.1mm will help to minimise the striations - but takes a lot of time and more filament and especially on bigger models.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2019
  15. Puzzled

Sgarrista

Very interesting, thanks for the reply.

I'm sure it won't be long until you can't even tell that it has been 3D printed.

16. bulb66

Wise Guy

Have you seen prints from a resin based printer? We're already at that stage, lol.

17. hyperseven

Sgarrista

Another Pangolin. This time it's for my mum as she loves the ones I already have.

Made using Amazon's glow in the dark PLA as it was all I had left :D Came out rather well.

[​IMG]

18. Haze

Mobster

Pic of it at night would be cool

19. Skidder

Man of Honour

I did my daughter a glow in the dark cutesy rabbit which she has in her room, she loves it and it glows pretty well to be fair.

20. Luke

Soldato

Not many pics of the printers themselves!
    I got my Ender 3 at Christmas, the wife complained about the noise so I made an enclosure using Ikea Lack tables. Keeps her happy!
    A handful of add-ons and upgrades, tubing and fixings, bed and springs, relocated PSU, control panel and SD reader. Next mod is to relocate and upgrade the motherboard and maybe install the levelling tool. Wifi camera is in there so I can monitor prints.
    [​IMG]