4 to 6 Bay ITX Nas cases

Associate
Hi,
You might have seen my post from a few weeks back saying that I was going to build a nas box with a Array R2 ITX case.

After reading some reviews of it, I have started to go more and more off the case.
- bad layout inside
- bad airflow
- price
- all aluminium case

So I was wondering what other cases are there?

I have googled a fair amount and i'm started to think a hot swop drive bay case would be handy but not essential.
A example of this would be CFI A7879 Mini-ITX but it looks a bit plasticy.

5.25" bays aren't necessary as I will probably use a flash type drive for the OS.

So what cases have people seen?

Soldato
The Lian-li Q008 will accept 6HDDs plus either an SSD or a DVD in addition.
Good airlow, big front fan, quiet, top fan and PSU fan also.
Have a look at my buildthread for pictures. (next thread down)

Associate
OP
Yeah I have looked at that case. It's nice. I was a bit put off by the 5.25 bay and the led ran on the front. Things that aren't big issues really. I would also want a low powered silent psu, as I will iust he running a atom mobo and then the hdds.

The thing is I am looking for a nice nas case more than a pc one.

Hi,
You might have seen my post from a few weeks back saying that I was going to build a nas box with a Array R2 ITX case.

After reading some reviews of it, I have started to go more and more off the case.
- bad layout inside
- bad airflow
- price
- all aluminium case

So I was wondering what other cases are there?

I have googled a fair amount and i'm started to think a hot swop drive bay case would be handy but not essential.
A example of this would be CFI A7879 Mini-ITX but it looks a bit plasticy.

5.25" bays aren't necessary as I will probably use a flash type drive for the OS.

So what cases have people seen?

Permabanned
They don't. But they're not supposed to. All that's in them is a PSU and back plate to connect the drives to. You then connect it to your machine via eSATA.

Soldato
Would have been pure awesomeness if they made a simple 6-8bay mini case for an itx mobo/ would make the perfect nas/storage/backup/htpc/xbmc box.

I starting too think since I may end up with so much storage like 4x2tbs that a CFI-B8283ER maybe the best bet and just run a long esata lead to it, why didnt they just make it an ethernet lead instead?

that way one could use ethernet electricity plugs or long cat cable around the house... would have made it 10x better ?

Permabanned
Problem is not many boards have that many sata ports on them. So you need to use an expansion card and then the cases suck too. Even the Fractal, that supports 6 bays gets bad reviews due to layout and poor cooling. So you'd need something like the Japanese Abee mini itx cases. Only board I've seen with 6 SATA is the Zotac H55 mini itx.

Soldato
Yeah im starting to think for future proof and ease an Fractual midi tower that one with like 8 bays is just gonna be easier/ rather put a mini itx or mobo with 8 satas+ and decent cpu, have it act as a hub.

Soldato
I've got the Chyang-Fun CFI case you refer to as plasticky!! Feel free to ask any questions. The metal is good and solid, looks to have good airflow and only the front is plastic. I think it looks tidy and understated. Ideal for a NAS/server box.

Mine has 2x2Tb with 2 more coming plus a 500gb 2.5" boot drive always on (so the data drives can spin down but the machine can still download or serve non-video files). All with an Atom D510UD mobo (4 SATA plus IDE onboard). TV card in PCI slot

Associate
They don't. But they're not supposed to. All that's in them is a PSU and back plate to connect the drives to. You then connect it to your machine via eSATA.

Could you connect this one SATA to an intel atom esata port? Not sure if the chipset supports port multiplication.

Associate
I've got the Chyang-Fun CFI case you refer to as plasticky!! Feel free to ask any questions.

It looks nice - but i've noticed on the back a really really small fan - presumably to cool the PSU? Why put that there when their is a huge fan next to it.

Looking to build a quiet 4 bay NAS (ITX Atom)

Right now I am considering:

CFI A7879
Fractal Design Array Mini-ITX NAS Case, Black, with 300W SFX PSU
Lian Li PC-Q08B Black Mini ITX Case
Chenbro ES34069 (ruled out because of 2 x 80mm fans)

Anything else worth considering?

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks nice - but i've noticed on the back a really really small fan - presumably to cool the PSU? Why put that there when their is a huge fan next to it.

Looking to build a quiet 4 bay NAS (ITX Atom)

Right now I am considering:

CFI A7879
Fractal Design Array Mini-ITX NAS Case, Black, with 300W SFX PSU
Lian Li PC-Q08B Black Mini ITX Case
Chenbro ES34069 (ruled out because of 2 x 80mm fans)

Anything else worth considering?

The PSU on the CFI isnt noisy (IMHO) but if you want total silence replace it with another. As well as external DC ones there is an equivalent one size wise which should slot in and is fanless.

Associate
The PSU on the CFI isnt noisy (IMHO) but if you want total silence replace it with another. As well as external DC ones there is an equivalent one size wise which should slot in and is fanless.

Would a pico 150w be sufficient? Which one are you referring to? The product isn't listed on CFI's website so it's difficult to get specs (e.g. wattage, fan rating, noise db, efficiency).

Also the racks - is there any kind of dampening (e.g. rubber grommets) or it just attach/screw in?

Associate
All with an Atom D510UD mobo (4 SATA plus IDE onboard).

I've just seen your blog and finally found a D510 mobo that doesn't cost a fortune that has 4x SATA ports.. :D

According to the specs of the PSU on the CFI it's 200W (75W DC output) but <45 db.

Any chance you post pictures of your build? Have you replaced the CPU fan? Does it have WOL?

Shame it's got a PCI slot, would have liked to add a DVB-T2 PCI-E card when it gets invented.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have some pics already.. as you've read my blog you'll see I am a Linkstation nut. Well I've found a new way to get the Linkstation to do all that this planned server would so I may just cancel the full build and sell it all. I'll try to dig out pics shortly tho.. as I thought theyd be helpful

Back
Top Bottom