400,000 graduate jobs

Soldato
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7821629.stm

what is your opinion if your in your final year or penultimate year or even you graduated last year.

i mean i can picture it a long queue of people with degrees waiting for their job seekers.

what annoys me. is that they said Microsoft and barclays have signed up. but they already have this scheme setup. and big corporations tend to have internship and graduates schemes already in placed. people with 300 ucas points and a decent 2:1 wont have an issue getting a placement.

the problem lies with people with 2:2 or 200 ucas or less

Last edited:
Man of Honour
More than being a product of the downturn, this is, IMO, a product of **** and ****-easy degrees in stuff that won't allow anyone to move into any kind of career. In addition, too many people going for the same thing and avoiding 'proper' degrees.

There may also be a kind of snobbery too. People no better than manual work deciding they don't want to do it, and want to do something 'better' when they're not good enough to make it.

Soldato
Well, I'm not worried about it all. I think getting a graduate position has always had lots of competition, and the best candidate wins (or should do).

I think that it's also a result of the Labour reign encouraging people to go to uni (a good thing in general btw). Now everyone wants uni and lots of people who shouldn't be in uni are. I feel as though the value of my degree has been debased due to the dilution of candidate quality and the enforcing of 'equality' in access to learning.

I feel confident that I will be able to secure a job after university as I believe that for the jobs which I truly want to do, I am good enough to do.

However, I don't know how secure any graduate job will be this autumn so I will probably do the safer thing and stay in education until the storm blows over.

Associate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7821629.stm

what is your opinion if your in your final year or penultimate year or even you graduated last year.

i mean i can picture it a long queue of people with degrees waiting for their job seekers.

what annoys me. is that they said Microsoft and barclays have signed up. but they already have this scheme setup. and big corporations tend to have internship and graduates schemes already in placed. people with 300 ucas points and a decent 2:1 wont have an issue getting a placement.

the problem lies with people with 2:2 or 200 ucas or less

surely if you get a 2;2 or less you shouldn't be complaining if you don't walk into a nice cushy job afterwards? ;/

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;13282064 said:
Thats what I decided to do. Looking for jobs whilst I'm doing it. Just seemed like a more constructive use of a year.

Struggling to find a flaw in that plan, so long as whoever is doing it remains self-sufficient or has other means of feeding and homing themselves.

int

int

Soldato
These days everyone and their mum has a bachelors degree, you need more than that for a decent job. One of the reasons I'm doing a PhD and I'm lucky enough to have a secure job for the next 3 years.

Soldato
OP
These days everyone and their mum has a bachelors degree, you need more than that for a decent job. One of the reasons I'm doing a PhD and I'm lucky enough to have a secure job for the next 3 years.

yes its what i explain to my friends, a degree is becoming a oyster card. everyone is going to have one. you have to differentiate yourself from everyone else especially if your doing a generic degree like "business management" (no offense).

people who have more skills, such as additional languages or higher qualifications such as masters or PHD, gives you a greater chance of employment because your in a niche

Permabanned
Simply not enough jobs to go around for the type of stuff people are doing at Uni, the amount of mates i know who have gone to Uni and done crap degrees the only one I know who has a decent job is working as a teacher in school earning £25k, other than that they are all in jobs that never required a degree.

Uni is not what it once was. I feel sorry for the people who have gone and spent all their student loan on going out and PS3s, 360s and uber computers. They are going to come out with huge debt and no job prospects

Soldato
OP
people. that do a 3 year degree course and decide to become a policeman. ffs. could have done that without a degree.

most peoples failsafe is. ill just become a teache. explains why when i was in college, the teachers i had were very young. im guessing they wernt able to get their first preference job.

Soldato
people. that do a 3 year degree course and decide to become a policeman. ffs. could have done that without a degree.

Thing is graduates tend to be fast tracked through promotion in the police/army etc.

I choose not to go to university, mainly because i didnt need to. Also i would have studied something like physics which wouldnt have helped me at all in the job i want

Back
Top Bottom