400,000 graduate jobs

I still beat you because I was accepted at number 6 and went to 22 then went to 62
Turned down Imperial for KCL! WTF!
Hi there,

With that it's good to look at the rankings of departments, though. I saw LSE was 66th, and was like, ":|"... but then looking at the rankings for it's departments and it was 4th for social sciences... and it's the fact they're small for sciences which drags them down.

It depends very much on what you want from your time at uni. I you just want a decent job at the end, it might well be better to look at overall rankings than subject specific ones. If your after post grad study / a job in the specific area your studying then subject specific tables are best.

In more positive news, the company I work for is still hiring graduates.

A minimum of a 2:1 BSc degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience e.g. Software, Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, etc. Knowledge of C/C++ would be a distinct advantage.

A bit too techy for most of the people in this thread but I thought I'd post it anyway. Closing date for applications is the 31st January 2009.

Oh, and let me know if you want to apply. Forward them your CV and put in a good word. ;)

Last edited:
The Times/Guardian university tables count for very little.

Indeed. Measures of universities are about as useful as IQ tests. Nevertheless, RAE is a pretty good measure.

I was aiming at the course rankings not the university rankings for one and just showing that it is reasonably easy to judge universities (even if you don't used the times and guardian tables).

And as someone else said you can also use the employment tables (although I've never really taken them as much use as employment can mean Tesco...)

So the main thing I should be looking at are entrance requirements? Are research quality and graduate prospects not important?

Bad idea, go look at the actual uni, it may be a brilliant university but you may decide you hate the course or just not click, and fail/leave because of it. I was accepted conditionally for Warwick in engineering but decided I liked the course far more at Plymouth so came here, even if that meant I may not have got quite as "good" a job as going to Warwick.

Problem is most of the world have never heard of any of those other than Oxford and Cambridge. Even LSE is ranked something like 70th in the world.

It's the same with US universities in the UK though, I can think of 4, Yale, Harvard, Princeton (and Brown, only because I watched The OC). Doesn't mean everything else is no good.

It's the same with US universities in the UK though, I can think of 4, Yale, Harvard, Princeton (and Brown, only because I watched The OC). Doesn't mean everything else is no good.

I agree, I was not bashing on those Universities I was just saying outside of the UK they're unheard off. I'm sure you've never heard of UPenn arguably one of the best business schools in the world or even Columbia. The point is if you plan to work anywhere other than England you need to go somewhere with an international presence.

Im on course for a first class masters in mechanical engineering and have over 360 UCAS points and am yet to find a job after 5 months of searching so far

I feel your pain, 1st class masters in mechanical engineering from a Russell group uni, 340 UCAS points. No job so far :(

Back to uni to do a PhD for me, hopefully the job market will be re-started by the time I finish.

Bad idea, go look at the actual uni, it may be a brilliant university but you may decide you hate the course or just not click, and fail/leave because of it. I was accepted conditionally for Warwick in engineering but decided I liked the course far more at Plymouth so came here, even if that meant I may not have got quite as "good" a job as going to Warwick.

So provided there's nothing really to choose between the two based on location and course itinerary, I should go on entry requirements?

Back
Top Bottom