• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Had my msi ventus 4090 for 2 weeks now, there is noticeable coil whine with anything past 200 watts, undervolting and power limiting the card does nothing, whilst its not that obnoxious due to sitting 7ft away and the msi fans being quite loud at 1400rpm I can still hear it if I listen, pretty annoyed after spending £1350 on the thing and half tempted to return it.

£1350 seems a really good price for an MSI one? I presume its the Gaming X trio?

Looks like they usually go for £1500+

Sounds like its coil-whine behaves exactly like my 3090FE.... as soon as load is above 200W~ regardless of framerate, the whine starts. Undervolt just reduces it slightly... but after a while its just as annoying.

I hope the 50-series addresses coil-whine, but I wont hold my breath.

One thousand three hundred and fifty pounds is NOT a good price for a GPU. It's an insane price, regardless of performance. if you had that amount of cash, in notes, in your hand, you'd be wary of spending it on a GPU. Digital money has made people lose contact with the value of cash imo. Perhaps that's what they want, people to not think about money value.

One thousand three hundred and fifty pounds is NOT a good price for a GPU. It's an insane price, regardless of performance. if you had that amount of cash, in notes, in your hand, you'd be wary of spending it on a GPU. Digital money has made people lose contact with the value of cash imo. Perhaps that's what they want, people to not think about money value.

You could say that about the top end of any market. Do you really need a £1500 phone vs a £500 one? Or cars, or hifi, or tvs etc.

£1350 seems a really good price for an MSI one? I presume its the Gaming X trio?

Looks like they usually go for £1500+

Sounds like its coil-whine behaves exactly like my 3090FE.... as soon as load is above 200W~ regardless of framerate, the whine starts. Undervolt just reduces it slightly... but after a while its just as annoying.

I hope the 50-series addresses coil-whine, but I wont hold my breath.
it was the ventus one (lowest tier), am unsure if msi class coil whine as rma worthy so it went back unfortunately, its bad spending so much money on something like that.

Its a halo product, value doesn't come into it, as the above poster stated you can apply that to literally anything. In my eyes is a decent price given how much the 3090ti was and the performance boost received.

Last edited:
Are ASUS cards particularly prone to coil whine? I got an Asus strix 4090 OC yesterday and has noticeable coil while during gameplay and during loading screens.

Ordered another to ensure it wasn't just that card and exactly the same as the original one.

No issues with PSU it's an atx 3.0 1000W Asus PSU.

Are ASUS cards particularly prone to coil whine? I got an Asus strix 4090 OC yesterday and has noticeable coil while during gameplay and during loading screens.

Ordered another to ensure it wasn't just that card and exactly the same as the original one.

I've got the TUF 4090 and it's pretty bad when it comes to coil whine.

4080 TUF here and coil whine changes from game to game. Not just high FPS or anything. Quite random.
About the ASUS PSU, I ended up getting a Seasonic, as the Asus fan was annoying. Dual ball bearing fans. Was the noisiest thing on my system.

4080 TUF here and coil whine changes from game to game. Not just high FPS or anything. Quite random.
About the ASUS PSU, I ended up getting a Seasonic, as the Asus fan was annoying. Dual ball bearing fans. Was the noisiest thing on my system.

The PSU is silent for me, currently running a ASUS ROG Strix Aura Edition 1000W 80+ Gold at the moment so ruled out that being the cause, I did also run a friends MSI 4090 and that wasn't as bad for coil whine compared to the ASUS.

After all my 4090's I switched to try 4080's. My recent 4080 phantom had what I would consider to be faulty fans but I am told ball bearing fans sound like that, very annoying low pitched humming (like a fridge) at any rpm but the card had pretty much 0 coil whine.
Returned it for a 4080 gaming trio x(which apparently also has ball bearing fans) very quiet fans but a fair amount of coil whine. Im giving up and keeping the msi card, had too many by this point and am burnt out by it. This will probably be my last card unless later generations actually have a fix for it. Shouldn't have to play a lottery at any prices let alone the top end.

Last edited:

From my experience yes. I read earlier in the thread it has a chance to subside but have yet to experience this. I had 3 or 4 strix 4090 all had really bad coil whine. 1 strix 4080 that wasn’t as bad but loud ti compared to other cards, 2 suprim x’s with nasty coil whine but not as bad as the strix.

And zotac 4090, 4080, 4070ti and none had coil whine any of them. But I couldn’t get on with the 4090 fan noise. I have given up with ASU’s gpus. Shame really as they were the coolest and quietest (outside of coil whine) running out of them.

Not a 4080/4090 but my 4070 Ti gaming X trio exhibits zero coilwhine unless frame rates are above 300 I hear a slight yet bearable hum.. as I play at 4k I’ll never be hitting 300fps anyway :D

4090 Strix arrived and now installed. Worse than the 4090 TUF I had in Red Dead - just very loud as soon as it hits in game.

Coil whine is one thing, but the whole pitch change when you look around - it's just crazy. One pitch for grass, another for water, another for the sky...

There is no way I can cope with this. Sat around 40 cm from my PC, and it is just so loud. Looks like I might be waiting for next gen too.

Back
Top Bottom