• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
Got myself an Aorus master today and it's night and day difference from that awful strix coil whine. Really happy with it and it boosts to 2850 out of the box. You really have to put your head inside the case and listen to hear the coil whine. Certainly a keeper! Cannot hear it at all when case door is shut.

Last edited:
Soldato
4090 FE received today. Very-little coil whine - it's probably the quietest high-end card I've owned in 10+ years (and I've had a lot). As an added plus, the 4090 FE has to be the most beautiful graphics card ever made.

This was actually my third 4090 within past 2-weeks. I purchased a B-grade Zotac from a competitor which also had very-little coil-whine. Unfortunately the Zotac turned out to be faulty and was promptly returned (core clock would randomly drop to 300Mhz and stay there - even after restart). I then made the mistake of purchasing a "Reconditioned - Excellent" MSI Suprim X from a big electronics reseller on the big auction site. This arrived with a severely-warped PCB (obviously used without an anti-sag bracket), covered in dust and grime, no-accessories, and packed loose within a battered non-OEM box. I didn't even install this one - it got returned immediately. After being burned twice I did what I should have doen in the first place, bought a brand new one. I will only purchase new or from trusted forums (like OcUK) in the future. I think too-many B-grade and so-called refurbished high-end cards have had tough lives. People on here seem to look after their stuff. Tiny-rant over. Happy in the end.

My 4090 FE is the same, its really quiet. I've noticed a slight coil whine only during Starfield at low power consumption like 200-220w with DLSS and FG enabled. But then playing cyberpunk with everything maxed out pulling 450w+ it's whisper quiet, no coil whine at all. Got me abit baffled.

Soldato
My 4090 FE is the same, its really quiet. I've noticed a slight coil whine only during Starfield at low power consumption like 200-220w with DLSS and FG enabled. But then playing cyberpunk with everything maxed out pulling 450w+ it's whisper quiet, no coil whine at all. Got me abit baffled.
Probably a particular frequency that it vibrates at. You may find at 450W it's above the level you can hear it at?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Honestly the Zotac trinity (non OC) 4090 is the first GPU I have had from Nvidia in all history where I can't recall ever noticing coil whine whilst gaming, and taht's in the quiet fan VBOIS mode too where it's silent. It's been months since i have had this and couldn't be more happier.

Soldato
At first I thought my 4090 FE had coil-whine. Nothing too-bad, just a gentle whine under load. Today I had the case door off and decided to try to find whereabouts on the card it was coming from. I used a small decibel meter for guidance.

Turns out the card is silent apart from the (pretty-hushed) fans, and that the low-whine originates from my PSU. It makes me wonder how many other cards I thought had coil-whine, and it was the PSU all along?

So, if you hear coil-whine after installing a new GC, double-check whether it's actually coming from the GC.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 4080 FE and it has coil whine unfortunately. I bought it in December and I've always noticed it but recently I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and it sounds much louder.

The fans can get quite loud too when running a demanding game so I've capped the fans to the minimum (1100rpm) and undervolted my card. This makes the coil whine stand out even more though unfortunately.

It's my first PC since 2015 as i went back to console gaming for a while. My previous GPU was the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming. That card had really terrible coil whine so i was hoping things would have improved since then but sadly not.

Last edited:
Associate
I remember having coil whine on my 1080ti which vanished when I upgraded to a Seasonic PSU. Not saying that the PSU is the issue but it can cause all kinds of odd behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom