4790k & 1080ti Upgrade time..

Associate
Hi all,

As the title suggests, it's getting towards that time where I need to upgrade after close to ten years. I'm running (lightly) modded Skyrim, Cyberpunk etc.. and things are starting to struggle.

I primarily use my PC these days for gaming and surfing the web, nothing in the way of work outside of office applications from time to time.

One of my questions is how much of my current set up is worth keeping? My PSU, the case etc.. for example. I could replace elements little by little at a later date.

OR I start by getting a new case, PSU etc.. and wait for the new generations to release?

I've currently been gaming at 1080p. I'd like to improve this. A new monitor would be purchased separately.

I guess what I'd like to do is 'future proof' the bulk of the build as much as possible and then go for a 5* series GPU when released (or do I just wait?).

My current spec is:

Corsair Obsidian 450d Case
2 x 140mm Fans top and front, 1x 120 fan back.
EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 PSU
Intel i7 4790k CPU
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MoBo
Prolimatech Megahalems (2x 120mm push/pull fans)
Teamgroup Xtreem 16gb DDR3 RAM 2666
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

The budget would be in the region of 2500.

Associate
OP
What's the shelf life on the AM5 socket?

Thinking 5 years ahead, what sort of psu wattage might be best to get now?

Associate
OP
Is there any reason to not go for the comparable i7 (4700k?) over the 7800X3D, other than the socket longevity?

PCIe Gen5 seems to be a more readily available thing on Intel MB, with shelf life in mind if not very usable now outside of storage.

Rumours next gen for both Red and Blue will be announced next month is all, feeling like waiting for the news might be a better thing to do and decide then?

Associate
OP
Not really any reason to go with Intel. Heavy Linux user?
No, just windows.

Other than web browsing, gaming and occasionally watching Football on a second screen while I'm doing something, I won't be using it for any video editing or serious coding etc..

I'm definitely leaning more towards AMD, I've just always been Intel to this point so it feels odd. Definitely think I'm going to see what happens with Computex before deciding properly though.

In the meantime, I might buy a new case/fans, screen and PSU etc.. while i figure the rest out. Would also in theory mean I can add to the budget.

Associate
OP
I'd look at the Strix B650E-F.
Is there any reason to avoid the x670 boards, with longevity in mind?

I don't anticipate OC, just thinking of future CPU. The expected longevity of AM5 is what's attracting me, is all.

Also reading mixed reports about certain brands and either Bios or RTM issues. Feels like a minefield! You've recommended Asus boards, so assume they're a safe bet?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

So, based on advice and what I've been reading up on, the set up below should mean I'm good for a few years, have the opportunity to upgrade the cpu in future and PCIe 5?

Is there a particular m.2 that would work well with this?

Would likely be getting the Phantom 212.

The x670e-e was the other motherboard I was looking at.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £735.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

£290 (incl. VAT)
£270 (incl. VAT)
£420 (incl. VAT)
£315 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
Associate
OP
I'm thinking 1x m.2 for Boot, 1x m.2 for games and then 'x' number of standard ssd with additional storage or less frequently used games.

Possibly one hdd.

Associate
OP
So, if I understand this correctly..

With the B650e-e motherboard, if I use m.2 slots 1&2 then there is no negative impact on pcie lanes? It's only slot 3 that impacts things?

Meaning 2x m.2 and a gpu will work fine with no issues?

Associate
OP
OK, so I have everything other than the GPU.

Currently rocking my 1080ti while I get everything else up and running, installed etc..

Two questions:

1. Are any of the 4080 super prices likely to drop further anytime in the next few weeks? I realise this is probably a silly question..

2. Is there any reason not to get a founders edition?? Outside of looks, I mean.

I'm just on the fence with pulling the trigger is all. OC (and others) tend to be selling out of the 4080 super and 4090 prices aren't exactly dropping..

I'm kinda thinking I'd like to upgrade to the next gen in 12 months time.

Associate
OP
Wondering if a 4070 Super or a 7900 Gre is a decent enough stop gap for 1440p ultra on Cyberpunk, modded Skyrim, RDR2 etc..? To last me 6 - 12 months?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom