• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4800+ Dual Core worth it?

Soldato
i need a quick power boost for my pc, i see the 4800+ dual cores are going nice n cheap at the moment, will i see a nice boost over my 3700+ SD?

Soldato
It depends what you're running on your pc,obviously any multi-threaded software will run significantly faster,video encoding for example will receive a huge boost.

If you are a gamer,don't expect much improvement yet,as most gaming code is still single thread,but some games do already benefit from dual core and the number will inevitably increase in time.

The 4800 is clocked 200mhz higher than your 3700+ so if you are currently running at stock speeds,then the extra clockspeed is significant enough to make some difference.

All in all if you multi-task and video encode a lot,then the 4800+ is a good buy indeed,but if you are primarily a gamer then you'd be better off either sticking with your current cpu and overclocking it(should be good for 2.8ish)or go for one of the current 4000+'s which are around 100 quid and generally clock to 3ghz+.

Soldato
unless you multitask or run software that is designed to take advantage of dual core I don't think your jaw will drop at the difference.

Having said that the future is multi-core so replacing your san-diego with an x2 will add some useful life to your existing system.

I went from a P4 Northwood with HT, to a 146 Opteron, noticed it was faster but I missed the multi-tasking from my previous P4 so I quickly jumped on the Opteron 170 bandwagon and haven't looked back.

Associate
I was just going to post the same question.

After reading these posts and considering my 3700+ can got to 11 x 270=2970mhz at stock volts on air i may aswell keep it!

In about a month i still think there will be a few x2 4800s knocking about at much less than the £199 they are going for now!

Cheers :)

Soldato
I have a 3700+ SD at just over 2.8GHz coupled with a X800XT and they both runs games fine at 1680x1050 with enough eye candy to keep me happy.

A 4400+ looks like a suitable upgrade, but it won't have much of an impact unless multi-tasking/encoding. Even then, i bet a single core CPU will suffice.

All this talk about Conroe, yeah it's great, but a neccessity for your average joe, at this point in time, hardly.

Associate
Kaiju said:
I have a 3700+ SD at just over 2.8GHz coupled with a X800XT and they both runs games fine at 1680x1050 with enough eye candy to keep me happy.

A 4400+ looks like a suitable upgrade, but it won't have much of an impact unless multi-tasking/encoding. Even then, i bet a single core CPU will suffice.

All this talk about Conroe, yeah it's great, but a neccessity for your average joe, at this point in time, hardly.

My thoughts too :)

Cheers :)

Soldato
OP
Well i have a shuttle so if i upgrade to intel i will need to change my entire system. I have decided to leave it for now as I am gonna just save up and get a new intel system in 6 months. Seems like AMD have gone the way of the dodo recently.

Cheers for the advice.

Associate
Get X2 4400+.

adv4400cdbox is best variety, will at least clock aswell as a 4800+. If you are lucky or can arrange it get a CCBIE variety. Will clock to 2.9Ghz plus on air.

Mine does 2.8 at stock volts and will do 3Ghz at 1.525V.

Russty

Associate
El Jimben said:
I've seen other posts on here saying that the x2 4800s aren't clocking that good anyway so I'd go for a x2 4400, overclock it and save yourself some cash!

have you seen this, stepping: CCBWE 0604TPMW -

x24800fx62_v2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom