• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** 48HR SPECIAL: AMD 3700X ONLY £259.99 !! ***

Associate
Up to £109 for 2 extra cores and threads with 200mhz speed bump over a 3600 not that impressed tbh.

If I didn't have a 8700k I would've put my money down for a 3600, I may even side grade and wait for a Ryzen 4xxx.

Edit: I have to really commend AMD on their pricing and CPU deals have been really great.

It might not be impressive from the 3600, but if you are in the market for a 8c16t then it is very impressive compared to the competition.

Soldato
the 3600 will drop to the 2600 prices we have now and the 3700 to the 2700 prices with the release or just after of the new 4000 series. the 3700 is too much. its about 10 percent faster than a stock overclocked 2700 yet it costs x2 more. its pretty easy to see its over priced for what it is. its a great cpu but like the 3600 too dear. 3600 is basically a 8700 that does about 4ghz. for £160. thats okay i supposed. the low all core genuine speed is not great . i dont get how amd can get away with it really.

advertise a chip that is 4.2 yet in real use its lucky to get 4ghz stock. surely thats false advertising.

so the real start at the moment is actually the 2700 cheap cpus for £120. 3700s will drop down to 200 in 3-4 months. which they realistically should be at.

None of that is logical to releasing a new product. Reality isn't close to what your saying. You don't sell a chip a really low price because a previous chip that has been replaced has massive reductions to clear old stock.

That 2700 also came out at at £300 also and offered about 10-15% over the 1700 and yet that wasn't an issue then.

The 3600 is the chip against the latest i5 9700 and still suits in actual games benchmarks and similar. Why you comparing it to an old Intel chip.

You're honestly coming at this from a really odd place and trying to bring metrics in that don't even fit with reality.

Associate
Just copped, couldn't pick between the 3600 on a value basis and the 3700X for the extra cores, the price drop just swung it in favour of the 3700X!

Associate
Give it a couple more weeks and this will be the standard price in the UK. You haven't really missed anything.

What ever people are pretending about Zen 3 not being this year, it's total claptrap.

AMD have the foundry space booked for 7nm EUV, and it ain't all GPUs. Unless TSMC's fabs burn down, Zen 3 is coming this year, and on desktops (mobile / TR / server aren't coming first as they all launched later).

Coronavirus and its fallout could push Zen 3 & Ryzen 4xxx beyond the intended Computex launch and likely July availability, but it has always been planned to release then, and neither the design nor the process are a problem.

Prices on Zen 2 aren't going up again, because new product is coming, and they now have a significantly larger wafer allocation of 7nm DUV than they did at any point last year, so supply isn't tremendously constrained. Hence why stock is mostly always in now, but sales are much higher than at any point previously (look at sales stats released by the big German retailer for the last few weeks).

Associate
Give it a couple more weeks and this will be the standard price in the UK. You haven't really missed anything.

What ever people are pretending about Zen 3 not being this year, it's total claptrap.

AMD have the foundry space booked for 7nm EUV, and it ain't all GPUs. Unless TSMC's fabs burn down, Zen 3 is coming this year, and on desktops (mobile / TR / server aren't coming first as they all launched later).

Coronavirus and its fallout could push Zen 3 & Ryzen 4xxx beyond the intended Computex launch and likely July availability, but it has always been planned to release then, and neither the design nor the process are a problem.

Prices on Zen 2 aren't going up again, because new product is coming, and they now have a significantly larger wafer allocation of 7nm DUV than they did at any point last year, so supply isn't tremendously constrained. Hence why stock is mostly always in now, but sales are much higher than at any point previously (look at sales stats released by the big German retailer for the last few weeks).

According to AMDs road map, Milan production is starting end of Q3, and going on history Zen CPUs release on desktop about that time. From that I'd expect end of Q3 release.

Associate
According to AMDs road map, Milan production is starting end of Q3, and going on history Zen CPUs release on desktop about that time. From that I'd expect end of Q3 release.

If nCV doesn't scupper it, it'll be same time scale as Zen 2. But I don't think AMD, let alone anyone else, knows what's going to happen with that yet. MWC in Barcelona got cancelled today .. that's a huge trade show.

It's unlikely to be in between Zen 2 timing and end of Q3, as that would coincide with people's summer holidays. By the same token, lead up to launch would be during summer holidays for an end of Q3 launch. They will want to avoid such a major product coming out to coincide with a period people often take holidays during - not so much consumers and media, but their own guys.

Also, for anyone still in doubt as to whether Zen 3 is coming this year, lowest EU prices for the 3900X have now dropped to £375-380 ...

Caporegime
Poor Gibbo. He either gets grief from forumites for fibbing or grief from his bosses for not shifting Zen2 stock.

hes a salesmen a good one its what he does. this price as already said by others will be the new norm soon and even lower. i think down to £200 by 4000s launch which obviously will be this year probably at the end of it. 570 boards are dropping really quickly aswell. so its also obvious that newer boards are coming aswell so they getting stock out ready for new stuff. all you have to remember and its not complicated is each new cpu is just replacing the last old one in its market sector. so the prices will drop to the same as the last previous cpus. 2600s now for eg are £100 this is where 3600s will go to. 2700s just to get rid of the last ones are £120 which is a steal. 3700s just replaced them. 2700s were holding around £200 thats where 3700s will be by 4000 launch. remember the next cpus are supposed to be 15 percent upwards in performance again. so there will be big drops on the current gen before release of the 4000s.

as for logic of getting a 2700 over a 3600. if you on a budget the 2700 will probably serve you better over 3+ years because of the extra cores. also you wont lose as much money vs a 3600. also anyone on older platforms of 4 and 6 cores a 2700 will be a upgrade to them in the future. its nothing but pure logic.

the only reason to pick a 3600 over a 2700 cheap chip is you want to game on it now and have the best performance for the year you keeping it before upgrading to 4000 chips and dont mind losing money for that period. which is fine but most people build pcs for 3-5 years of service before touching them again.

the real reason most people hold off on the 3700 and 3800s is the allcore speed. not doing 4ghz or low 4ghz is not great for gaming or as good as it should be. if they did what they advertise 4.4ghz and so on you wouldnt able to keep them in stock. hopefully the next lot of 4000s cpus do what they say on there tin and we get the amd cpus we dream of. then gibbo wont need to sell em they will allways be gone.

Back
Top Bottom