• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4960X gets tested

Shouldn't do as they should have soldered tops.

I keep seeing this, is it confirmed or wishful thinking?

Also are there any disadvantages to the older 2011 boards compared to the newer Haswell boards?

One more think, you gotta' love 8packs enthusiasm :D

edit: as below, the 3930K was easily the pick of the SB-E's, surely we will see a return of this gem?

Last edited:
Associate
Well now it's time to sit and wait and decide which cpu to get, at least I can start getting the other pieces for a new build, but fml, the wait will be murder.

Soldato
I keep seeing this, is it confirmed or wishful thinking?

Also are there any disadvantages to the older 2011 boards compared to the newer Haswell boards?

One more think, you gotta' love 8packs enthusiasm :D

edit: as below, the 3930K was easily the pick of the SB-E's, surely we will see a return of this gem?

It's all but confirmed, iirc some chap destroyed his 4960x es to find out. Fairly sure 8 pack has all but confirmed this on a few occasions too.

X79 boards have just about the same features as z87, if not more as you get quad channel as well as many pci lanes.

Soldato
Pretty pleased about this. I won't be upgrading straight away, Christmas 2014 I think I'll buy a 4960X to replace my 3820. By then 6 cores will hopefully be getting some real good wider use in gaming.

x79 platform was a good choice for me 3 months ago.

Caporegime
Any news on how IB-E overclocks? given that it is more power efficient it might be better... aside from that 1866Mhz memory support and official PCI-E 3.0 certification is about the only improvement?

OcUK Staff
6 cores are a lot more fun than 4 on Haswell, and for multi GPU setups it is a non contest with IB-E winning hands down. 4.3 or 4.4 on Haswell is not going to drive multi GPUs very well.

It will depend what your trying to achieve some benches even multi card will like Haswell more. Haswell is harder to bench for sure though with cold bug etc all a problem.

Quad channel strong memory controller will be great.

Soldato
I just put my new x79 3930K rig together yesterday. Glad to hear there are legs in the x79 platform, but it looks like the 3930K is still a good performer compared to IB-E. Be interesting to see if IB-E can do an easy 5GHz 24/7 though.

Permabanned
8 Pack is looking at them things from different angle.

I for starters care only about IPC and how many GIHAHERTZZZZZ i can get out of it on water cooling.

Haswell turned out **** for WC :/ So next thing would be Haswell-E if its soldered and if its DDR4 :)

Soldato
OP
Have you fell out with your iPad? :D

OT - did you get the Origin request

Fell out with it........

Hate the dam thing now! :D sick of bejeweled blitz! I want battlefield back :(

I will check on origin.
Edit: cant check origin as i need to download it, so dont know mate, i'll be back... Soon ;)

Edit : yeah got it, checked on battlelog app.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
8 Pack is looking at them things from different angle.

I for starters care only about IPC and how many GIHAHERTZZZZZ i can get out of it on water cooling.

Haswell turned out **** for WC :/ So next thing would be Haswell-E if its soldered and if its DDR4 :)

Did it??? All my Haswells are 4.9+ DDR2933+ :)

I am looking forward to my Ivy E arriving.

Soldato
OP
So when these new cpu's arrive i know that there backwards compatable with x79 but are new boards coming too??
And if you had a choice between a 4770 and a 4820 what would you pick?? At most there will be 2 gpu's in my system.

Back
Top Bottom