4G Router Recommendations...

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I was going to go with them @platypus they quoted a fee of about £80 for the engineer to install that. I was only put off by even through their retentions they would only drop the monthly sim price to £32 with no router either.

The best and most stable signal will be had outside and high up. But as others have said the MR6400 does really well out of the box, it was great in my loft when I first moved into 4G LTE.

Caporegime
Ah I'd not thought of putting it in the loft. I might try that, though not yet sure how to get power up there.

Also, from the looks of it, I'm 2.5km from the O2 4g mast thats covering my new house and 1.1km from EE's, and both of them are going to have to get signal through solar panels. So perhaps that would interfere a lot? Its good that the mast is on the side of the house that my temporary office will be though, so I'll stick the router in the window and hope for the best. It'll be several months before our garden office gets done :(.

Caporegime
Well in a twist of irony, thats not particularly funny, due to a mess up with solicitors, our land line will now be active before we move in, so I don't need to rely on the 4G router at all :rolleyes: :p:.

Still having it as a backup won't hurt.

Associate
Tips from my experience:
  • Use cellmapper to find nearest mast(s) for your operator.
  • Test the mast with a cellphone at off-peak time to try and guess max speed, a lot of rural masts won't go above 150Mbps so it's pointless buying a 600Mbps LTE-A router.
  • Check to see whether 4G+ is available, if not then you will need manually select the best band on your router, also if only 4G available, don't bother buying an expensive LTE-A router.
  • Use an antenna (better speeds/stability), the Poynting ones are the best imo, omni if mast very close (full signal on high frequency bands), directional if within 5km otherwise dual yagi
  • Use network band selector on an Android phone to test signal strength of high frequency bands at place you want to put antenna, the higher frequencies give better speeds, a strong signal without selecting the correct band may give misleading results (800Mhz typically has good signal but very poor speeds).
  • The higher the antenna the higher the speeds (especially upload speed).
  • Keep the antenna cable as short as possible, with router as close as possible, you can then connect to it via LAN/WLAN.
  • I recommend Huawei routers as you can use a 3rd party PC/Android app to change band selection, very handy if in area with no (4G+) as you can lock it to higher frequencies.
  • If you install the antenna in the attic on a pole mount you can easily rotate it should a mast be under maintenance or you wish to switch provider.
With a good setup you should be able to easily outperform the average FTTC connection.

Caporegime
Tips from my experience:
  • Test the mast with a cellphone at off-peak time to try and guess max speed, a lot of rural masts won't go above 150Mbps so it's pointless buying a 600Mbps LTE-A router.
  • Check to see whether 4G+ is available, if not then you will need manually select the best band on your router, also if only 4G available, don't bother buying an expensive LTE-A router.
  • Use an antenna (better speeds/stability), the Poynting ones are the best imo, omni if mast very close (full signal on high frequency bands), directional if within 5km otherwise dual yagi
  • Use network band selector on an Android phone to test signal strength of high frequency bands at place you want to put antenna, the higher frequencies give better speeds, a strong signal without selecting the correct band may give misleading results (800Mhz typically has good signal but very poor speeds).
  • Keep the antenna cable as short as possible, with router as close as possible, you can then connect to it via LAN/WLAN.
  • I recommend Huawei routers as you can use a 3rd party PC/Android app to change band selection, very handy if in area with no (4G+) as you can lock it to higher frequencies.
  • If you install the antenna in the attic on a pole mount you can easily rotate it should a mast be under maintenance or you wish to switch provider.
With a good setup you should be able to easily outperform the average FTTC connection.
I might well go down this route if the fibre roll out takes longer than expected, thanks for the extra info!

Cellmapper reckons the fastest cell on the nearest tower only does 133 Mbps / 12 Mbps (max/avg)
so not that great.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pretty sure the masts around here (rural) won't go above 150mbps - probably one of the reasons the tp-link 6400 holds up well vs some of the more expensive kit.

Soldato
I'm in 2 minds on whether to go 4G and get rid of home broadband.

Currently get around 30/2 on fibre and around 30-50 and the same upload going from my phone.

I am around 1500m away from the mast but it's behind our house which is across open fields.

If I was to get a decent 4G router and mount in attic do you think I will see improved speeds?

Associate
Generally EE will provide the best speeds in most areas, they also tend to have 4G+ everywhere, on a 150Mbps mast you can usually get close to full speeds during off-peak from my own testing.

Beware that the MR6400 (LTE Cat. 4) doesn't support LTE-A or band selection, one upside is that it can be powered by USB 5V 2A a 5V->12V adapter.

Soldato
Or use something like Opensignal that actually shows the real signal strength and direction from a particular cell.

The A stands for aggregation. No single chain of mobile data can ever go above 150Mbps. You aggregate them to get you 300Mbps or 600Mbps or even 1200Mbps on a CAT20 device.

4G+ is EE’s name for carrier aggregation, so yes, no point in buying a multi-chain CAT4 or better device if your carrier doesn’t support aggregation. But only EE call it 4G+.

Why would you have a dual-Yagi if you don’t have more than one chain? CAT3 (no carrier aggregation) only uses one antenna. Single Yagi. CAT6 (2 cables) needs a second antenna to allow diversity and carrier aggregation. Poynting is a South African brand selling pretty ordinary amplified antennae for a lot of money. All Yagi are directional (think TV antennae all point in the same direction)

Higher frequency = theoretically higher speeds (you send more data per second) and the penetration power of the higher frequency signal through objects is less. Think 5GHz wireless LAN vs. 2.4GHz wireless LAN.

Line of sight trumps everything. What your elevation is giving you is probably better line of sight. You want as few obstacles in the way as possible. Even trees blowing about in the wind play havoc with wireless broadband signals.

If the antenna cable(s) are properly terminated then you should lose no signal over a few hundred meters.

I use only Mikrotik and Teltonika. There is nothing wrong with Huawei gear for simple consumer use and if that’s all you want then TP-Link are every bit as good as Huawei and will save you some money.

Putting the antenna indoors massively reduces the effectiveness. Do this only if you want to permanently compromise your system.

You’ll get something that’s respectably quick but frustratingly variable. A cabled connection will always be more reliable and consistent.

Man of Honour
Line of sight trumps everything. What your elevation is giving you is probably better line of sight. You want as few obstacles in the way as possible. Even trees blowing about in the wind play havoc with wireless broadband signals.

True but with a home setup just trying to get it higher generally trumps messing about trying to finesse line of sight, etc. as an exercise. Signal propagation can be really weird - where I get best signal the combination of structure layout of the building/room itself and a nearby barn roof seems to have something akin to a parabolic effect at a guess and trumps any setup with better line of sight.

You’ll get something that’s respectably quick but frustratingly variable. A cabled connection will always be more reliable and consistent.

Yeah at peak times for instance sometimes even when download speeds are decent an image heavy page you can see each image load in vs same speed or even lower on FTTC they just load in an instant. And the latency just isn't there on 4G - with my current setup on EE I get a solid 30ms latency, little fluctuation or packet loss but it is noticeably different to a low ping cabled connection.

We had a brief but intense rainstorm couple of days ago actually knocked out both the 4G and FTTC at one point (guessing something affected the backhaul for both) but the 4G performance was degraded throughout dropping the signal quality by ~75% - generally though weather hasn't affected my 4G much - a stormy night with the trees blowing around normally only reduces the quality stats by 2-5%.

Man of Honour
I've not had much luck with the MR6400 and external antenna - seems like any length of cable to them actively works against any gain in signal from a guess. It seems highly optimised for the stock ones.

Soldato
True but with a home setup just trying to get it higher generally trumps messing about trying to finesse line of sight, etc. as an exercise. Signal propagation can be really weird - where I get best signal the combination of structure layout of the building/room itself and a nearby barn roof seems to have something akin to a parabolic effect at a guess and trumps any setup with better line of sight.

What you are describing is the Fresnel effect. It’s entirely predictable and one reason you should buy gear from proper experts. One of the guys at LinITX used to work for “the government” and he can reliably pull in signals other folks just can’t get near. It’s all in the knowledge apparently.

Soldato
I've not had much luck with the MR6400 and external antenna - seems like any length of cable to them actively works against any gain in signal from a guess. It seems highly optimised for the stock ones.

I need to check but I think the antennae on the MR6400 are WiFi only and the 4G antenna is inside the case. My experience of TP-link is they work really well taped vertically to the inside of windows with the antennae sticking out like Bunny Ears. The main benefit with TP-link is they just power up and work. No-one else seems to have got that bit quite as 'right' as TP=Link.

Associate
I need to check but I think the antennae on the MR6400 are WiFi only and the 4G antenna is inside the case. My experience of TP-link is they work really well taped vertically to the inside of windows with the antennae sticking out like Bunny Ears. The main benefit with TP-link is they just power up and work. No-one else seems to have got that bit quite as 'right' as TP=Link.

Depends which version of the Router.
V4/V2/V1: 2 Detachable 4G LTE Antennas
V3/APAC: 2 Internal 4G LTE Antennas

As stated before, We get absolute zero signal with EE at the caravan.
Used a Vodafone payg sim, WiFi calling, and it has not missed a beat all season. Great router.

Man of Honour

The first one I bought has 4G antenna on the board itself - I did mess about and modify it so as to have a external "diversity" antenna but ended up buying a newer one with the removable antennas in the end which AFAIK doesn't have internal antenna and behaviour when changing the external ones suggests they act as 4G antenna but I've not opened it up to check.

This is my V3:

Fy8kXdg.png

Back
Top Bottom