4gig or 8gig??

Associate
Hi all
I'm going from 2 gig memory to 4 gig is it worth going the whole hog and getting 8 gig as memory is so cheap at the moment, this pc is only used for gaming… whats your views..
Thanks, Martin

Why not get 8gb while prices are low though? Vista x64 would manage fine with 8gb, filling it up with cache, imagine even remotely used apps (or even games? Dont know for sure though as no Superfetch expert.) will start instantly.

Unless you want to encode HD-Pr0n in less than real time I would go for 4GiG, if you buy 8GiG it wont last forever as there will always be better ram comes out be it faster speed or tighter timings and DDR3 is year or so away from mainstream.

helmutcheese said:
Unless you want to encode HD-Pr0n in less than real time I would go for 4GiG, if you buy 8GiG it wont last forever as there will always be better ram comes out be it faster speed or tighter timings and DDR3 is year or so away from mainstream.

What helmut said ;)

I've yet to have used up all of my 2gb so 8 sounds like a waste of money to me...

Buy 8gb. Its cheap and if your gaming you can create upto a 6gb RAM drive. Very quick loading and still keep 2gb back for system memory.

Currently have COH installed on a 6gb RAM drive and on every internet game I am first to load. Typically I still wait for other peeps to load!

Very easy to back up. Install game> save as image on your hard drive and simply flick between games as you wish.

With the slow move over to DDR3 now beginning I wouldn't go too overboard on memory right now no matter how cheap it is.
2GB will do most people fine, yes, even in Vista.
4GB can be had for a good price, but I really wouldn't go for 8GB.
It's just more memory to off-load once you look into DDR3 - which you will at some point.

stoofa said:
With the slow move over to DDR3 now beginning I wouldn't go too overboard on memory right now no matter how cheap it is.
2GB will do most people fine, yes, even in Vista.
4GB can be had for a good price, but I really wouldn't go for 8GB.
It's just more memory to off-load once you look into DDR3 - which you will at some point.

Agreed 100%.....4GB is ok if you got money but 2GB is fine atm. Wait till ddr3 becomes mainstream.

BAMBI said:
I cant believe you guys are even discussing 4GB yet alone 8, is Vista really that much of a mem hogger? Ive never used up all of my 1GB yet!

4GB will be mainstream........

Bill Gates in 1981 said..

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"

Now........ Answer that......... ALSO

in 1996 Bill Gates said..

"Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM."

lolz......... its logic talk.... future proofing buys to an extent when memory is cheap!!!! and then not a lot of loss in money on new buys...

Well you obv did not enjoy game at a high res and full eyecandy because there is enough reviews on the web from back then to show it was one of the 3 games to use 2GiG of Ram and a 512MB Vid card to good use, obv the game wont use all the ram as Windows needs some to run other services.

There was even tweak guides for users who had less hardware power and were trying to run it.

Anyone here thats a gamer will know 2GiG in XP is rec and so is a 512MB card, for modern games and high eyecandy, it does not mean you can not run game without that though.

PhillyDee said:
I use 4gb in Vista x64, and its always about 1.5gb full. Ive never used more than 3.0 tbh. So unless you do photoshopping and want a load of image memory, i wouldnt bother.

1.5 gb full? U get over 2 gb of usage with CoH on ultra textures in xp, never mind vista.
Vista i got 95% Ram usage when running CoH, and when not gaming, the ram is always around 40% full of real usage, and rest is used for cacheing, in fact, I never have more as 50 mb free, regardless if i use 2gb, 3gb , or 4.

You say you have 1.5 gb full, then your vista is malfunctioning, it should use all the rest for cache.

As for the ppl saying 1gb is fine : Try running bf2 on high textures, coh on ultra textures or fear on max textures, the game will grind to a halt the 1st 5 minutes (in fear&bf2. And coh will grind to a halt when rotating the camera/view) , and even once its smooth, try quitting the game, will take about 3 damn minutes because it unloaded windows stuff from the ram, no thanks but i prefer a game to be smooth intstantly, wich needs min. 2 gb, and once i shut a game down, I want to be in a usable windows within 5 seconds...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom