4gig or 8gig??

anybody have any benchmarks of gmaing in vista, 2gb vs 4gb?

im concidering another 2gb, but only because i'm a keen 'shopper and editing a few raw files does eat up memory pretty quickly. i've not concidered more memory for gaming at all.

chaparral said:
Benchmarks will not really show the difference went it comes to ram...

stuttering affects framerate. on the extreme end, not enough memory means more paging. more paging definately affect frame rate. if 2gb isnt enough to the point where its affecting gaming that badly, then 4gb would sort that, right? failing that, has anybody actually seen a difference with 4gb?

chaparral said:
From looking at your sig....You be much better off spending your money on a 8800gts/gtx or 2900xt GPU card...
As that ATI XT1950XTX will be really holding your system back....

Graphics cards will be on the way, will have to change the psu as well..

chaparral said:
I hardly did any gaming with 2GB in vista (i only had vista installed for about a week before i upgrading to 4GB)

Hi just wondering what Ballistix memory you are running, i would have to put pc8500 to go with the pc8000 as i cannot get pc8000 memory anymore :(

Wonder if this will cause a problem?? pc8500 & pc8000 in the same pc???

mrh2019 said:
Hi just wondering what Ballistix memory you are running, i would have to put pc8500 to go with the pc8000 as i cannot get pc8000 memory anymore :(

Wonder if this will cause a problem?? pc8500 & pc8000 in the same pc???
Well at best it'll run at 8000 speeds, at worst there'll be compatibility problems

james.miller said:
:) what about when you're actually gaming?

i only play cs source so ihavent even bothered installing any of the other 20+ games i own to test them also but i dont think the ram makes that much of a difference in vista, it uses the ram much more effiicently than xp, but im sure i will need it for crysis, everything runs smooth as, 4gb, e6600, x1900xt, asus p5b deluxe, vista home premium 64 bit, x-fi fatality

with my e6600 at stock with speedstep enabled i get

110 fps @ 1360 x 768
75 fps @ 1680 * 1050

everything on max

im sure with my e6600 pushed to 3.6 ghz which it can do easy i could get a much better fps but i dont need it yet

so i owuld stick to 2gb with vista until you really need it, because no doubt by then ddr3 will be out

4GB is far enough to run Vista - no need to use 8GB that too much also waste of money... i already installed 4x1GB with Corsair Airflow fan that my max RAM. in the future it may push up more than 4GB but that would take years - only 2GB or 4GB are enough to use Vista.

braveheart said:
4GB is far enough to run Vista - no need to use 8GB that too much also waste of money... i already installed 4x1GB with Corsair Airflow fan that my max RAM. in the future it may push up more than 4GB but that would take years - only 2GB or 4GB are enough to use Vista.

Yep i agree, by that time anyway DDR3 would have been estabalished.

I have a 3.2 Ghz single core processor, and a sweet 7600GT, which in the whole scheme of things are just about respectable, but I have 1 gig of DDR 400 MhZ RAM, which is really very very average now, and I run FEAR on full spec, 16X antialiasing at 1440x900 and it looks pretty sweet, ocassionally if I've just loaded or a lot's happening then it jumps for a split second, nothing bad, I'll probably tone a couple of settings down though..

Back
Top Bottom