4K OLED or 4k Mini/Micro LED 32" to 42"

Soldato
What do you think of these for everyday use? Any good?? Which has best picture quality?

32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G8
32" Dell U3223QE
32" Samsung LS32BM801UUXXU - M80B
Samsung Odyssey isn't just curved, it's bent double by far arse of Samsung's marketing.
Anything with clear geometry content is going to look distorted, including lines of text.
This covers that:
https://youtu.be/go1qsBetgV0?t=188
Especially this part demonstrates distortion well:
https://youtu.be/go1qsBetgV0?t=265
That high curvature would simply need taking into account during rendering to correct geometry.

Dell would be nice on contrast without local dimming.
Though price is super high for otherwise very standard monitor with retro 60Hz, no VRR...
And response times are apparently rather bad, maybe as price for that higher native contrast limiting other usability:

As VA Samsung LS32BM80 has even higher contrast.
But otherwise it seems to be quite basic panel by modern standards with mediocrish colour gamut and especially slow response times.
And VA's black crush shows on dark forum themes etc.

When you remove marketing BS, state of monitor market/development is just miserable...

X32 FP? Can’t wait to hear your thoughts! I see that it’s available in the UK now.
No idea when strike ends, so getting monitor might go to next week. (and then I'm back to work from holiday)

Associate
OP
When you remove marketing BS, state of monitor market/development is just miserable...
100% CORRECT!

Looks like its going to have to be one of these.....price are stupid for what you get, I cant find anything decent.....

By now the standard should be at least 75+Hz standard for standard monitors......... Which would you pick and why?

PG42UQ - OLED ------------------------------------ £1399
Samsung LS32BM801UUXXU - M80B-32"---------- £535
Dell U3223QE---------------------------------------- £900
LG C2 TV----------------------------------------------£900

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Finding it difficult to choose a "decent" most bang for buck monitor......prices are stupid high for what you get, anyone reccomend anything better then those below?

From these, which would you buy and in which order?

BenQ PD3220U-------------------------------------- £1000
LG C2 TV----------------------------------------------£900

How much do you think its worth buying the LG C2 for righ now, considering the LG C3 will be out at the end of next month, early april?

Last edited:
Associate
LG C2 on Amazon is £850, they were doing a 10% discount earlier this month too

I don't pay VAT so that's £710 for me, for a 42 inch OLED that's really cheap brand new!

Less than half the price of the new LG 45 inch and the PG42UQ

Associate
OP
LG C2 on Amazon is £850, they were doing a 10% discount earlier this month too

I don't pay VAT so that's £710 for me, for a 42 inch OLED that's really cheap brand new!

Less than half the price of the new LG 45 inch and the PG42UQ

I know, it does look tempting, if it was £700-£750 would be more appealing.

What about the Samsung QN90B QLED as a monitor? Is it better than the C2?

Associate
What RTings have to say about the C2 and QN90B

The LG C2 OLED and the Samsung QN90B QLED are both impressive TVs, and the best one depends on your viewing conditions. The LG is a better choice for a dim or dark room, as it has much better contrast and no blooming around bright objects in dark scenes. The Samsung TV, on the other hand, is a better choice for a bright room, as it gets significantly brighter.

Associate
OP
What RTings have to say about the C2 and QN90B

The LG C2 OLED and the Samsung QN90B QLED are both impressive TVs, and the best one depends on your viewing conditions. The LG is a better choice for a dim or dark room, as it has much better contrast and no blooming around bright objects in dark scenes. The Samsung TV, on the other hand, is a better choice for a bright room, as it gets significantly brighter.

Just seen a couple of vids on youtube, the text on a TV will never be as good as on a monitor, so I think I'm going to stick to trying to find a monitor, rather than use a TV as a monitor.

Finding it difficult to choose a "decent" monitor most bang for buck monitor......prices are stupid high for what you get, anyone reccomend anything better then those below?

From these, which would you buy and in which order?

Soldato
Just seen a couple of vids on youtube, the text on a TV will never be as good as on a monitor
Problem isn't in being TV.
Problem is in being OLED and with WOLED's very nonstandard subpixel layout.

Vs. IPS...

Samsung "QLEDs" issue is again lame "we install panels upside down" BRG subpixel layout, which is reverse of standard and not all renderers can take that into account.

Associate
OP

Thanks, so am I right in that the 42" A90K OLED has clearer text than the LG C", but by no means anything close to an IPS such as LG 27GP850-b?

So narrowed down to:-

Dell U3223QE---------------------------------------- £900 or maybe the 27" version with higher PPI

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Samsung G70NC out soon, 43in miniLED UHD. Might be an option (£899 iirc);

Just came across the Samsung Viewfinity S9 5k...and Viewfinity S8 4k. They look very nice but 60Hz! Anyone know when this will be coming out?

Dell U3223QE---------------------------------------- £900 or maybe the 27" version with higher PPI
Samsung LS32BM801UUXXU - M80B-32"--------------- £535

Going to buy one of these two, and later upgrade to S9 5K infinity hopefully if price is reasonable.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you expecting everyone to do the research for you? There is a comparison feature on Dell's website.

I did the research myself, even Dell sales didn't know what the difference was and took their time to tell me they have different panels! I know you can compare them, but that doesnt always tell you every single difference, but they still looked very similar, the other 2 have different panels apparently and the newer one has upgraded features..........Are you volunteering to do the research for me? :)

Caporegime
You're popping different monitors off left and right. I don't think anyone on here barring @Baddass will be able to tell you every single difference :cry:

Your budget is all over the place from £500 to £1400 by the look of things. I think you need to dial down the must-haves and then go from there.

Are you even going to game on it? As your initial post states “general productivity and watching content” but numerous gaming monitors have been mentioned.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You're popping different monitors off left and right. I don't think anyone on here barring @Baddass will be able to tell you every single difference :cry:

Your budget is all over the place from £500 to £1400 by the look of things. I think you need to dial down the must-haves and then go from there.

Are you even going to game on it? As your initial post states “general productivity and watching content” but numerous gaming monitors have been mentioned.
I have too much money and use it as toilet paper sometimes!!!! But just didn't really want to pay more than £1500 for a monitor.

The must have was a nice looking small bezel monitor with the best possible picture quality for the least amount, for long term.

This is the problem with this forum, 90% on here seem to be gamers, everything seems to be gaming related, when you post a thread, it's all gamer related reply's, there are many induviduals who do not game on here, and may be professionals in the different industries and also just general PC/tech enthusiasts ......... and new to the PC building world! The only gaming related monitor mentioned is the PG42UQ, that was because it was an OLED.... just because something is marketed as a gaming monitor, does not mean you are not allowed to use it for anything else!! :)

Caporegime
This is the problem with this forum, 90% on here seem to be gamers, everything seems to be gaming related, when you post a thread, it's all gamer related reply's, there are many induviduals who do not game on here, and may be professionals in the different industries and also just general PC/tech enthusiasts .........
It has been and always will be tbh, some gamers love to have the best available. Maybe go out and find a more suitable forum/reddit channel etc for your needs?

Associate
I have too much money and use it as toilet paper sometimes!!!! But just didn't really want to pay more than £1500 for a monitor.

The must have was a nice looking small bezel monitor with the best possible picture quality for the least amount, for long term.

If it's the best possible picture quality you're after, then OLED is the only option.

LCD regardless of type of panel (va, ips etc), or technology (fald etc) will have worse contrast than an oled panel, and contrast is one of the most important parts of image quality. I also really can't tolerate any sort of backlight bleed, blooming etc.

Depending on viewing distance text will look absolutely fine. Slightly different use case scenario for me but I use a 55" oled and sit a couple of meters away with a wireless keyboard, and I've never had any issues with text not looking right.

If you have a 42" monitor with the appropriate viewing distance everything will look great.

If it were me and I was wanting a monitor in a traditional sense, i.e sat at a desk, then I'd be picking up the Dell Alienware Oled. It's a decent size, great image quality and not too overbearing. 42" unless your viewing distance is right could be too much. The dell is a proper monitor too with appropriate connections, higher refresh rate and proper gsync support.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom