• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4k resolution = bad draw distance and rendering.... still in 2021

Soldato
image resolution has no affect at all on draw distance

Well it kinda does, I understand what you mean but when you think about it the higher resolution makes the image more clear and then you see pop in more easily.

1080p to 4k that much image quality improvement you definitely will see more of the unwanted pop in.

Associate
AC games such as Valhalla, are just badly ported console rehashes. Ubisoft what do you expect?

With no RT, no DLSS and lacking even basic optimisation for PC.

They are designed to run at 60fps on 1440p on a console.

Associate
AC games such as Valhalla, are just badly ported console rehashes. Ubisoft what do you expect?

With no RT, no DLSS and lacking even basic optimisation for PC.

They are designed to run at 60fps on 1440p on a console.

100%
Console ports should NEVER be the benchmark for pc comparisons and gpu performance.

I very rarely play so called 'AAA' titles as they are invariably just poorly optimised ports.

Honestly the whole subject needs to avoid the comparisons of console hardware completely and this forum would be all the better for it.

Man of Honour
Well it kinda does, I understand what you mean but when you think about it the higher resolution makes the image more clear and then you see pop in more easily.

1080p to 4k that much image quality improvement you definitely will see more of the unwanted pop in.

Cyberpunk 2077 is horrid on 4K in that respect - at 1440p I largely don't notice that some of the building textures used for long distance are like original Xbox resolution but in 4K you can't avoid noticing it - especially on a 43" 4K display.

Associate
Cyberpunk 2077 is horrid on 4K in that respect - at 1440p I largely don't notice that some of the building textures used for long distance are like original Xbox resolution but in 4K you can't avoid noticing it - especially on a 43" 4K display.

43" 4K thats way to big for me. 32" max or you just lose to much pixel sharpness

Man of Honour
43" 4K thats way to big for me. 32" max or you just lose to much pixel sharpness

I have a 28" 4K panel but it is too laggy for gaming really and largely relegated now. Mostly use my 1440p 144Hz Dell but also got a Philips Momentum 43" (great for stuff like racing games with the wheel).

Soldato
Thanks, I think I mistyped, it's being worked on for games behind closed doors.

That still makes zero sense. The engine being worked on is what you meant for engine release end of year time is what you trying to say? Cause no games are releasing on UE5 this year and certainly nothing that would be native UE5 so at least 3 years away before we see the impact from that tbh. Epic is moving Fortnite to UE5 mid this year prior to official engine release, literally the only game known currently to be doing so and I expect they will be re-writing a lot of code to bring the new features to show it off which isn't something most devs do.

Caporegime
Battlefield v is bad for pop in especially when using scopes. On some maps pieces of geometry will be totally missing then reappear once you scope in.

Soldato
I’m an Unreal Engine developer. Unreal Engine 5 is not “out”. The current version is 4.26... We have a few preview features, but the main features of UE5 such as Nanite aren’t coming til the end of Q1...
Is there a potential that "special" customers could already be using it to develop games?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I would be in this mindset too. Maybe it will change but I think once you go to standard TV on the wall size (>42") it becomes too big to sit and use on a standard desktop arrangement - no?

That’s why I sit on the sofa. 65” LG C9. :p

Sod sitting too close to that!

Soldato
Draw distances can be really short in games, I agree should be a slider. I see many games have a shadow thats barely one step in front of the character.

Soldato
That still makes zero sense. The engine being worked on is what you meant for engine release end of year time is what you trying to say? Cause no games are releasing on UE5 this year and certainly nothing that would be native UE5 so at least 3 years away before we see the impact from that tbh. Epic is moving Fortnite to UE5 mid this year prior to official engine release, literally the only game known currently to be doing so and I expect they will be re-writing a lot of code to bring the new features to show it off which isn't something most devs do.

Yuck this is why I hate tech forums.

Edit: Yuck this is why I love tech forums but hate commenting on tech forums in case I get a slightest thing wrong and some alpha-dog jumps down my throat.

Back
Top Bottom