4k Ultrawide Gsync 120Hz+ or OLED TV alternative

FTL

FTL

Associate
Well make up your mind. People are asking for 120hz+ monitors with g sync and you are telling me that its fine to run below 60 fps so why are people wanting 120hz+ screens then? Who is going to buy these screens, even if they could, and run them at less than 30 fps with the current gpus?

There already are 60Hz monitors with g sync available now.

And yes vendors drop hints, new panels come out etc etc.

You do realise that normally it can be over a year after something is mentioned in the monitor world by the manufacturers before you then see the monitor at a show and then its another 6 months before you can buy one?

So unless a panel manufacturer announced a 5k wide screen 100Hz panel today, you will never be able to buy one before 2018 at the earliest and I haven't seen a whisper than any panel maker is about the announce one yet.

Exactly this - to put in perspective LG announced in June a 1440p 144Hz IPS Ultrawide which goes into production in Q1 2017, these are the kind of lead times we can expect, in fact it'll likely be Q2 when they even appear to consumers - so it could be very close to a year after announcement. It also shows you where Ultrawide screens are at the moment, its going to be while until we see a UHD version, 2018 at the earliest.

Caporegime
Exactly this - to put in perspective LG announced in June a 1440p 144Hz IPS Ultrawide which goes into production in Q1 2017, these are the kind of lead times we can expect, in fact it'll likely be Q2 when they even appear to consumers - so it could be very close to a year after announcement. It also shows you where Ultrawide screens are at the moment, its going to be while until we see a UHD version, 2018 at the earliest.

Bet it'll be closer to £1k than £500 though.

Caporegime
You do realise that I've been gaming at 4K for two years, don't you? I started with a 780 Ti.

So have I. Your point been?

We still dont have "affordable" cards to push 4k screens to over 60fps consistently never mind the "5k" wide screens people ar talking about on this thread and needing 120+fps for them

So the resolution is 33% bigger and we need double the framerate

Thats going to need a card that is 166% quicker than the titan xp.

now for a few years, each years gen has been a maximum of 50% faster than the previous gen so it will be the 3rd gen on from pascal which will have sufficient umph.

I dont even think that's on Nvidia or AMD roadmap yet so easily 2020.

And we are talking about the Titan having the performance not the mainstream cards which will be 50% slower so for mainstream it might be the 4th gen before we are there and 2021 onwards.

Of course if these 120Hz 5k wide screens existed now we could run them on lessor cards like I have done on 4k for the last two years before finally getting a card which can run the screen properly but its not ideal.

So really, people shouldn't be concerned about the lack 120Hz 5k screens since we don't have the hardware to drive them anyway and the two should coincidence by 2020 ish.

Of course neither will be cheap as I suspect Nvidia will want £2k for their Titan by then and monitor people will want £1500 to £2000 for the screen as well.

Soldato
Now that ASUS have announced a 4k 144Hz HDR panel, is there any sign of 4k Ultrawide?

5120×2160? No. Nor is there likely to be for a while. Never-mind that there is no GPU even remotely capable of driving that (not that this is stopping 8K screens being talked about), they simply haven't milked 3440x1440 enough yet, and definitely not 3840x1600 which we will see increasingly more of over the next year or so. These actually have great potential IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers drag things out so long, we will see people asking for 8K ultrawide before we ever see a 4K ultrawide screen come to market!

Soldato
@String. The only UW HDR I know of coming this year, is the Gsync version of the C34F791 which is normal 3440x1440.

And regarding the whole discussion subject, 4K curved HDR TV with HDMI 2.1 and Freesync are more plausible this year, and at much lower prices than monitors........
UW has small market imho to worth the investment.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Samsung gsync version of the CF791 will come out later this year.

Which is destined to be better than the Freesync version for no other reason, other than they did a major cockup with the adaptive scaler used.
Funny enough, the Korean Microboard monitor, using the same panel, is far superior with the freesync working better!!!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
@String. The only UW HDR I know of coming this year, is the Gsync version of the C34F791 which is normal 3440x1440.

The C34F791 is not HDR. Even the official Samsung site doesn't list it as such. It's Quantum Dot, but not HDR. Are you saying the G-Sync version is going to be made HDR? First I've heard if that's true, and I can't see it happening.

Caporegime
The Samsung gsync version of the CF791 will come out later this year.

Which is destined to be better than the Freesync version for no other reason, other than they did a major cockup with the adaptive scaler used.
Funny enough, the Korean Microboard monitor, using the same panel, is far superior with the freesync working better!!!!!

That's pathetic!! Can't tell that Samsung are new to gaming monitors then :D

Soldato
That's pathetic!! Can't tell that Samsung are new to gaming monitors then :D

80-100 fps is the freesync band, bellow that there is all sorts of hell loose with Freesync on.
And the 48-100 band, isn't that better either. People still experiencing issues bellow 80 fps. :/
Some issues can be resolved with proper DP 1.2 cable, not the one coming with the monitor, but not all.

But that happens when you have open standards :/

Caporegime
Hopefully Freesync2 will sort a lot of that out in the future!

I mean I can't complain, I'm set for a while now with the 38UC99 as it's v v sweet with a 10bit panel :cool:

I just need Vega and I'm set!

Back
Top Bottom