50 - 55" TV for max £600 - possible? Recommend me!

Associate
As the title really, i'm looking for a new tv. Ideally i'd like at least 50" and the top of my budget is £600. Can you get a decent 50" set for that budget or am I dreaming?

A quick google brings up the Philips 50PUS6703 50 at £429 and reviews seem to suggest its pretty good?

Anything obvious I should be looking at?

Soldato
If you know someone in NHS/police etc you can sign up for a blue light emergency card, gets you access to the Samsung employee discount shop. I just bought the ue55nu8000 with free M7500 Blu-ray player for £650 delivered.

Associate
As the title really, i'm looking for a new tv. Ideally i'd like at least 50" and the top of my budget is £600. Can you get a decent 50" set for that budget or am I dreaming?

A quick google brings up the Philips 50PUS6703 50 at £429 and reviews seem to suggest its pretty good?

Anything obvious I should be looking at?

Hi, what did you pick up in the end?

Our trusty 37" Toshiba Regza from 2008 is about to die as it crackles, pops and sputters into life everytime I press the main power button.

I have a vanilla PS4, a 5MBit connection in semi-rural France and no 4K sources. I'm toying with the idea of a 4K screen, but might just go super-budget as a stop-gap until I actually get a 4K source or a better internet connection. Alternatively, I could try fixing the current TV, but I'll probably just brick it if I do.

Associate
Last week I purchased a Sony XF90 49" from the Sony Centre refurbished section for £629. When I received it, it was brand new and in perfect condition. If you keep checking the refurbished page each day there will be more added, they go fast so early morning is best.

The XF90 is pretty much the best mid range set on the market, only the OLEDS are better. For a FALD 120Hz TV you can't beat it for £629.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd

Soldato
The XF90 is pretty much the best mid range set on the market, only the OLEDS are better. For a FALD 120Hz TV you can't beat it for £629.

Good price, I would recommend the OP save a it more money if they can and buy one of these, it will be worth it in the long run. In the coming weeks as the new models are unveiled these should come down a bit more as well.

Soldato
Last week I purchased a Sony XF90 49" from the Sony Centre refurbished section for £629. When I received it, it was brand new and in perfect condition. If you keep checking the refurbished page each day there will be more added, they go fast so early morning is best.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd

I really want that TV it's a bargain but I would be worried about refurbs but then you do get 12 months warranty.

Associate
I really want that TV it's a bargain but I would be worried about refurbs but then you do get 12 months warranty.

When mine arrived apart from it being in a plain brown box it was in as new condition. It shipped direct from Sony UK, so they are being properly refurbished by the manufacturer.

Associate
OP
I ended up picking a Philips 55" pus 6703. It cost £470, from what I read it was a bargain at that price. Apart from the UI, which is a little slow, I'm blown away by it.

Associate
It's not that bad, and certainly not a deal breaker.

Thanks.

So you'd recommend this TV then ? How is picture quality on Freeview channels ? I mostly watch Freeview HD. And the biggest thing that puts me off modern TVs is how they handle fast action. My "ancient" 40" Samsung (60Hz panel, no fancy motion handling settings) handles football, F1 etc very well. A recent trip to PC World/J Lewis to look at a few 4K TVs left me feeling that my 8ish year old Samsung handles fast movement and camera pans better than most of the TVs I looked at. I did have a look at the 49XF9005, and it did seem one of the better TVs in this regard.

Soldato
And the biggest thing that puts me off modern TVs is how they handle fast action.
I agree .. have yet to see a tv review where they do not turn down the motion handling (intermediate frame creation ...) to a mnimum, on all brands

Sainsbury's seem to have a monopoly on philipps - it's strange.

Back
Top Bottom