50 pound notes !!

Transmission breaker
Don
I have never ever had a problem paying for anything with £50s. I don't do it that often but the thought never even crossed my mind somewhere would not accept it?
I guess perhaps at a market stall or something where a cash float might be small, but in a shop, I would be pretty annoyed if they turned me down for trying to pay in legal tender!

Soldato
Oh, here is another thing about getting money from another country. Apparently, a 2000 yen note (about £15) is very rare and not something is used inside Japan and normally reserved for foreign exchanges. If you bring one into the country and then use it in a shop they all get very surprised as most people would've never seen one before.

I had something similar in Morocco. You couldn't buy Dirhams outside of the country so I bought some off ebay. I turned up at a fuel station wanting to pay gave them a 100 note. (worth about €10 at the time) to my surprise it was refused but guy at the pump offered me 120 dirham for it. Turns out it was a rare note with different portrait of the king on or something.

Soldato
Just go into a bank and ask them to change them for you. I don’t believe any in the UK doesn’t have a few hundred quid in twenties.

We'll have none of your sensible suggestions round here please. That's far too easy.

Seriously, go into a bank and ask to do this. Make sure you have some time on your hands, as it'll take them quite a while to stop laughing before they say no or for you to talk your way out of being detained for money laundering!

Associate
Ohhh it's nowhere near 1k :)
Only a few hundred quid.

I'm wondering if bureau de change will do like for like exchanges if I explain I'm scared of 50s? Hahah
Give them 2x50 and get 5x20 back?
Dunno?
Unlikely?

Used to work for one and we'd swap £100 free of charge no problem. Larger amounts there would be a percentage charge, but you won't have any trouble shifting - or spending - them.

Soldato
Coming from China you will be shocked that we don't take WeChat as payment I bet. Contactless/Apple Pay/Android Pay is pretty common and most places take it now with no minimum spend limit.

(I put most in italics as no doubt someone will point out their corner shop doesn't...save you the trouble)

My Google Pay wouldn't work for over 30 quid in PC World. Or Aldi, or Tesco?

Man of Honour
Seriously, go into a bank and ask to do this. Make sure you have some time on your hands, as it'll take them quite a while to stop laughing before they say no or for you to talk your way out of being detained for money laundering!
Exchanging a few hundred quid in £50 notes for £20 notes is not money laundering :p

Do you understand what is meant by laundering money? It's not a literal cash exchange...

Permabanned
I got a couple of Scottish £100 notes a bit ago. No local place wanted to know so I ended up exchanging them for £20's at my local bank. I am not sure how acceptable these things are north of the border, but most locals thought it was akin to Monopoly money and just laughed? That said I would like more, lots more :)

I don't have an issue with £50's being acceptable round here, although most places have a good look and feel of them, or run one of those pen affairs across them.

Associate
Saw someone try to pay with a £50 note at our local Tesco a while ago and the self service machine wouldn’t take it. Even if they did it wouldn’t be advisable as they only seem to give change in 5p coins or smaller.

Soldato
Exchanging a few hundred quid in £50 notes for £20 notes is not money laundering :p

Do you understand what is meant by laundering money? It's not a literal cash exchange...

I understand very well what money laundering is. Try doing this transaction in a bank and see what their reaction is. For added bonus lols, try a bank where you don't have an account.

Back
Top Bottom