£50 to spend on Steam VR Games (Vive)

Associate
I'd start with the free stuff first. See what floats your boat.
Some people hate wave shooters but I like the well done ones. Space Pirate Trainer is a great one to just jump in for a blast.

Associate
Tough one, depends on what genres of games your into. For me I would grab the free ones first and then I recommend.
•bullets and More- small player base, even for a VR title, but it’s the jack of all trades multiplayer shooter, and the battle Royal on the new map is brilliant too. My favourite VR online FPS, and has the best guns and weapon attachments too.
•pavlov- another FPS, bigger player base than Pavlov, but much faster gameplay, with an active modding community with a good selection of user made maps.
•Onward- Last VR multiplayer FPS title, and the darling on the VR FPS community, the game is highly regarded and you will read the term ‘Onward locomotion’ on various reddit posts about upcoming games. It has the largest community of any VR FPS title, and has a great community, people refer to it VR Arma due to its realism, but in truth It plays more like R6 Siege with its 1 life per round gameplay.
•SuperHot VR- it’s short, and not worth the full price because of how short it is, but my god, does it make you feel like a badass, more so than any VR title I have played to date
•Dirt Rally- the best VR racing game in VR
•Elite Dangerous- still yet too play it, but for £4.99 it’s worth the punt
•Fallout4 VR- expensive and will take up the majority of your credit, but it’s fallout, in VR.

I have a Rift and as such most of my titles are tied to Oculus Home, but any VR owner owes it to themselves to take a look at Echo Arena, it’s free on Oculus Home, use a free tool called Revive to use Oculus Home with a HTC Vive.

*Little rant inbound* Hopefully one day Oculus opens its doors an natively supports other headsets, VR needs to be open, it’s a peripheral, not a platform.

Last edited:
Associate
Just spent a few more hours in Fallout4. It really doesn't seem like a VR game. I can play that one just like the pancake version...for hours!
But I have held back from recommending it:
1. Because it appears to run badly for a lot of people and
2. It's a tad expensive (especially if you've already bought it once in pancake)
3. The best movement is sliding but that doesn't sit well with a lot of people that have yet to develop their VR legs.

Soldato
*Little rant inbound* Hopefully one day Oculus opens its doors an natively supports other headsets, VR needs to be open, it’s a peripheral, not a platform.

For Oculus to Natively support other headsets, Other headset manufacturers would have to allow the Oculus software to run on their headsets. I believe HTC said no to this already.

Associate
For Oculus to Natively support other headsets, Other headset manufacturers would have to allow the Oculus software to run on their headsets. I believe HTC said no to this already.
Have they? I havnt read that, I thought it was that Oculus being stubborn. Didn’t realise it was a two way street

Permabanned

That would be interesting since HTC just do the hardware? What about Pimax, or any other hardware vendor using the OpenVR spec?

It already feels like HTC are dead in the water with Oculus taking the affordable for many price point, while Pimax take in the nutters. I think the 'exclusive' deal with Bethesda, and maybe Rockstar, are what kept them going through the holiday season.

Associate
OP
Tough one, depends on what genres of games your into. For me I would grab the free ones first and then I recommend.
•bullets and More- small player base, even for a VR title, but it’s the jack of all trades multiplayer shooter, and the battle Royal on the new map is brilliant too. My favourite VR online FPS, and has the best guns and weapon attachments too.
•pavlov- another FPS, bigger player base than Pavlov, but much faster gameplay, with an active modding community with a good selection of user made maps.
•Onward- Last VR multiplayer FPS title, and the darling on the VR FPS community, the game is highly regarded and you will read the term ‘Onward locomotion’ on various reddit posts about upcoming games. It has the largest community of any VR FPS title, and has a great community, people refer to it VR Arma due to its realism, but in truth It plays more like R6 Siege with its 1 life per round gameplay.
•SuperHot VR- it’s short, and not worth the full price because of how short it is, but my god, does it make you feel like a badass, more so than any VR title I have played to date
•Dirt Rally- the best VR racing game in VR
•Elite Dangerous- still yet too play it, but for £4.99 it’s worth the punt
•Fallout4 VR- expensive and will take up the majority of your credit, but it’s fallout, in VR.

I have a Rift and as such most of my titles are tied to Oculus Home, but any VR owner owes it to themselves to take a look at Echo Arena, it’s free on Oculus Home, use a free tool called Revive to use Oculus Home with a HTC Vive.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I have got Fallout 4 VR free with the Vive which is nice. I'm a big Elite fan so will definitely pick up Elite Dangerous.

I have a friend with a Vive who plays Onward, so that is probably a no brainer for me, especially as I like military sims anyway.

Superhot VR seems very cool!

Associate
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I have got Fallout 4 VR free with the Vive which is nice. I'm a big Elite fan so will definitely pick up Elite Dangerous.

I have a friend with a Vive who plays Onward, so that is probably a no brainer for me, especially as I like military sims anyway.

Superhot VR seems very cool!
FWI, SuperHot VR is only £7.99 for the next 3 hours on Oculus Home, using revive, it’s a good way of saving your self a few quid, and whilst your there get Echo Arena, it’s free, and is one of the best multi player games not only in VR, but I’m general, it’s a free spinoff from the incredible Lone Echo (also a must play)

Soldato
Have they? I havnt read that, I thought it was that Oculus being stubborn. Didn’t realise it was a two way street

See below :)

That would be interesting since HTC just do the hardware? What about Pimax, or any other hardware vendor using the OpenVR spec?

Oculus have a platform, Oculus Home. Do you think Pimax or Vive want Oculus home running on their headsets? And do think Oculus would want other headset vendors access to the Oculus home without any mention of Oculus? Something that they have invested heavily in and are continuing to expand and improve?

Permabanned
Oculus have a platform, Oculus Home. Do you think Pimax or Vive want Oculus home running on their headsets? And do think Oculus would want other headset vendors access to the Oculus home without any mention of Oculus? Something that they have invested heavily in and are continuing to expand and improve?

I think a system that is supported on both store fronts is a no brainer, a system that is supported only on one is in trouble. I doubt Pimax care where their user base buy games as long as someone buys their headset. Hence, I am surprised to hear that HTC do not want their user base being able to play Oculus store games.

Very few people would buy hardware from Oculus if that meant that they were restricted to the Oculus store.

Soldato
I think a system that is supported on both store fronts is a no brainer, a system that is supported only on one is in trouble. I doubt Pimax care where their user base buy games as long as someone buys their headset. Hence, I am surprised to hear that HTC do not want their user base being able to play Oculus store games.

Very few people would buy hardware from Oculus if that meant that they were restricted to the Oculus store.

There is a system that's supported on both and that's Steam. Oculus have their own exclusives that they spent time and money developing. I am still not sure why that is a big deal to some people. Look at the Xbox and PlayStation for example. They both use exclusives to sell consoles.

And I am not sure you are understanding what I mean. The Oculus store is tied into the Oculus SDK. For it run on other headsets, Oculus would need pretty low level access to the HTC/Pimax headsets. Which is something I don't think Vive were willing to do. But, even if that wasn't the case. Do you really think HTC or Pimax want a storefront heavily promoting a competing headset?

Associate
See below :)

I can’t see why Oculus couldn’t just release a separate client for non Oculus users, and distribute there games that way for Vive and WinVR users, in the same way way EA and Ubisoft does with Origin and Uplay. More revenue for Oculus, there now knocking the ‘walled gardern’ That they get accused of, so good PA, and everyone gets to enjoy there games, which are arguably the best available in VR imo

I get what your saying, I really do, but isn’t PC about being open? What we currently have is console esq ecosystem brewing on PCVR, even Rockstar, a non VR company actively LOCKED out Rift users recently from LA Noire, sure it’s an easy bypass, but it was still locked. For VR to thrive, and it should do, I bloody love it! This ******** needs to end, on all parties

Last edited:
Permabanned
There is a system that's supported on both and that's Steam. Oculus have their own exclusives that they spent time and money developing. I am still not sure why that is a big deal to some people. Look at the Xbox and PlayStation for example. They both use exclusives to sell consoles.

At what point did you think I thought differently?

And I am not sure you are understanding what I mean. The Oculus store is tied into the Oculus SDK. For it run on other headsets, Oculus would need pretty low level access to the HTC/Pimax headsets. Which is something I don't think Vive were willing to do. But, even if that wasn't the case. Do you really think HTC or Pimax want a storefront heavily promoting a competing headset?

All Oculus would need to do is provide a API hook such as Revive as part of the Home software bundle. I think HTC are in a terrible position, while Pimax really don't care as their main objective is to sell as many HMDs as possible.

Soldato
All Oculus would need to do is provide a API hook such as Revive as part of the Home software bundle. I think HTC are in a terrible position, while Pimax really don't care as their main objective is to sell as many HMDs as possible.

Why would Oculus do that though? If they built a hook, like what Revive does, then they would be responsible for their games not working right on competing headsets. And it would still have the same problems as Revive does with performance not been as good as the games on the Rift.

But, all this doesn't change anything. It's back to your rant about Oculus opening it's doors to support other headsets natively. It's still back to the same thing, for native support the Oculus SDK would have to run on the headset. So when you want to play an Oculus game, it would open Oculus home. Just like when you want to play a steam game you need to open Steam VR.

Would you, as a headset manufacturer, really want a competing headset's software running on your system?

Associate
If the Vive could implement the Oculus sdk. Would it be possible that the Vive users would start buying their games from the Oculus store instead of Steam as the performance and desktop visuals are a step better? Costing Valve a lot of money in games sales, so maybe they have an agreement with HTC that it won't happen. revive atleast gets Oculus some games sales without the responsibility of making sure the games work on two configurations.

TBH, i'm not sure the situation with GearVR. But i'm sure it uses ocululs sdk and that is not an Oculus headset, it is made by Samsung. Maybe I don't know some important information, but does that show that Oculus are open to fully supporting other manufacturers headsets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom