• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5090 - is 32 GB necessary - is 24?

For gaming? No. But **90 series Nvidia cards have never been "necessary" for gaming either.

There are other use cases for GPU's though so expect it would be aimed at those users rather than your average gamer.

4K with ultra graphics, especially if a game has an actual worthwhile ultra level, can exceed 16GB. Pretty much nothing needs 32GB now though.

These are a professional card that also games well so I would say yes if you use it for work, but it doesn't seem like there will be much option this time 32 or 16gb.

The gulf between 5090 and5080 is huge this gen it's basically like running sli

Aren't the xx90 series the Titan replacement? So they're kind of aimed at the prosumer market. There's definite uses for that much vram for people at home, but not for gaming.

I would buy whichever card came with 24GB. Seems odd that there isn't a 24GB offering.
Running the 3080Ti at the moment, and DCS (flight sim) has been developed in a way that it wants more VRAM than the 12GB on the 3080Ti. So having been caught out once, I'm not prepared to take a chance on 16, so 24 is the minimum I'm considering for my next GPU card (4090 or 5090).

I've used>21Gb in game@4K no mods.

IF there was~>16gb from 70 series up gaming would be soooooo much smoother.

However GPU companies make far higher profit from imposing software solutions (that impact gameplay in one form or other) rather than supply more vram on ever increasing hardware.

If you truly had 'plenty' of vram you are far less likely to upgrade gen on gen.

I would buy whichever card came with 24GB. Seems odd that there isn't a 24GB offering.
Running the 3080Ti at the moment, and DCS (flight sim) has been developed in a way that it wants more VRAM than the 12GB on the 3080Ti. So having been caught out once, I'm not prepared to take a chance on 16, so 24 is the minimum I'm considering for my next GPU card (4090 or 5090).
As an aside - the last DCS update has improved the VRAM usage apparently.

Nate

As an aside - the last DCS update has improved the VRAM usage apparently.

Nate
it has a bit, and it is nice to see ED making some small steps in the right direction after a nightmare 6 months.

The VRAM has been improved, great in the likes of the Huey or even the Viper, but the Apache still struggles with 12GB, and I'm not even going to try the Phantom.

Aren't the xx90 series the Titan replacement? So they're kind of aimed at the prosumer market. There's definite uses for that much vram for people at home, but not for gaming.

Of sorts. They are GeForce cards first and foremost. Titan cards had specific functions beyond additional vram.

Spent waaay too much time looking for this again :))
Believe what you will (1:06:47 in case the time stamp doesn't work).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom