• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5090 - is 32 GB necessary - is 24?

I don’t agree. It’s a gaming card first, which has other uses. All of Nvidia’s marking for the 3090/4090 suggest this, and they are marketed as GeForce cards. They are fundamentally gaming cards but their large amounts of vram mean they are useful for other purposes.
The huge of amount of vram alone is flying in the face of all of the other NVidias gaming line up which even skimps on it. They cannot do that in the workspace, but yeah they are catering to the gaming crowd also.

it has a bit, and it is nice to see ED making some small steps in the right direction after a nightmare 6 months.

The VRAM has been improved, great in the likes of the Huey or even the Viper, but the Apache still struggles with 12GB, and I'm not even going to try the Phantom.
As a closed beta tester it's good they're putting more attention(finally) to the core of the game. However it seems a lot of the VRAM or memory related issues is more about it actually getting released. With my Pimax Crystal and 4090(the former 'necessitating' the latter) I get pretty close to my 24GB VRAM limit and my settings aren't too aggressive.
Fundamentally DCS is just a poorly coded game, but client and server side, which is frustrating.

As a closed beta tester it's good they're putting more attention(finally) to the core of the game. However it seems a lot of the VRAM or memory related issues is more about it actually getting released. With my Pimax Crystal and 4090(the former 'necessitating' the latter) I get pretty close to my 24GB VRAM limit and my settings aren't too aggressive.
Fundamentally DCS is just a poorly coded game, but client and server side, which is frustrating.

They should give a call to Chris Roberts and port their game to Star Engine :)

Last edited:
I think I'll be jumping straight to the 32GB version. I've just run into the hardware limits of the AI stuff I was experimenting with and the current hardware is no longer a viable option for continued use at the level I use it at now. So with a new rig coming as well, it's 32GB for me even though it's way overkill as well for the secondary gaming use. Content creation is definitely where the VRAM is aimed at (if your use case can make use of it).

Back
Top Bottom