• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5090 - is 32 GB necessary - is 24?

If it’s correct then it’s a lot but imagine you keep that card for 5 years then it’s 500 a year investment in gaming or other hobby and interests.

I don't think the kind of person who would be buying this for gaming are going to be keeping a card for that long. I am just basing that on my own experience.
Have to strongly agree with this ^

Nobody spending £2000+ on a GPU is really worried about value.

Also, the 5090 is going to be scarce as I’m sure that all the AI companies have already pre-ordered thousands of units each.

Have to strongly agree with this ^

Nobody spending £2000+ on a GPU is really worried about value.

Also, the 5090 is going to be scarce as I’m sure that all the AI companies have already pre-ordered thousands of units each.
100% agree with this. I’m expecting these will be snapped up at distribution before they even get to retail. That’s why I’m expecting them to be 2.5k minimum probably a lot more.

The question is not the upfront cost but rather total cost. For a lot of people having the 4090 since launch proved to be great value as card still good, residual value high etc.

But honestly give me enough vram and I Don't care. Have 64gb over two cards would be excellent for my purpose.

I would buy whichever card came with 24GB. Seems odd that there isn't a 24GB offering.
Running the 3080Ti at the moment, and DCS (flight sim) has been developed in a way that it wants more VRAM than the 12GB on the 3080Ti. So having been caught out once, I'm not prepared to take a chance on 16, so 24 is the minimum I'm considering for my next GPU card (4090 or 5090).
I'm in the same position, same card. With a Quest 3, DCS has to have the ground textures on low to keep the VRAM usage within limits but that doesn't look great flying the Apache at low level. If the settings are higher, particularly textures I eventually see stuttering and pixelated corruption.

Last edited:
Personally I liked it when cards came in multiple VRAM variants.

Was it the 8800 that came in 320MB and 640MB options?

Depending on your res you could choose which made most sense for you.

There are plenty of people who will want a 5090 for the chip, but might have wildly different VRAM requirements.

I doubt it would happen though.

Personally I liked it when cards came in multiple VRAM variants.

Was it the 8800 that came in 320MB and 640MB options?

Depending on your res you could choose which made most sense for you.

There are plenty of people who will want a 5090 for the chip, but might have wildly different VRAM requirements.

I doubt it would happen though.

Yep, was the 8800 GTS that had 320 and 640 options.. then later the G92 version with 512mb came out and made the other 2 models obsolete by being so much better :p

For 3D work i'll take as much ram as you're willing to give me but for the prices I've seen floating about so far I'm not sure it'll see much uptake. They're getting priced out of even the prosumer and lower end professional market - just going to be more fuel for the AI fire.

Last edited:
Yep, was the 8800 GTS that had 320 and 640 options.. then later the G92 version with 512mb came out and made the other 2 models obsolete by being so much better :p
Didn’t Nvidia changed the bus interface too? They also had the 8800 GT 1gig model if I recall? I think I owned one.

The 512 mb GT was a legendary midrange card for the money.

Didn’t Nvidia changed the bus interface too? They also had the 8800 GT 1gig model if I recall? I think I owned one.

The 512 mb GT was a legendary midrange card for the money.
If the 5080 is indeed 16GB, then I can imagine a world where we get a 5080Ti with 20GB or some BS like that.

Back
Top Bottom