• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700X3D and AM4 pricing

Soldato
Picked up one of these to replace my trusty 5600x. Has anyone tried undervolting one? Will it handle -30 on all cores?

no need to under volt most will do -30 and your good.
what cooler are you packing

edit lol AC Liquid Freezer II.. what size? not that it really matter your good

Last edited:
Reactions: Cob

Cob

Cob

Soldato
yer your solid buddy. the chips hit high 80's bench and stress in.. but game a lot better 60/70 your 280 will do just fine i had the same cooler its good

only problem now is you need a gpu upgrade obviously
Happy days. It will have an easy life running 10 year old MMO’s at 1440p.

Soldato
Recently got rid of my cpu/mobo and memory, and put together some spare parts just so there wasn't an empty space on the desk.
Asus B450M Plus, 16gb PC3200 and the ultimate CPU... A Ryzen 1400 :| I threw in my Arc A770 alongside, just so that I could go full CPU bottleneck.

Now that I've put this together, the 5700X3D is calling. I've heard many say that they are quite toasty chips, but how bad really?
The case they are in is quite small for MATX (13.8l ZZAW C2), but the Jonsbo CR-2200 seems quite happy with the overvolted 1400 at 3.9. I was sort of guessing that Zen 3 would probably run a bit cooler, even with more cores and the 3d cache?

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Recently got rid of my cpu/mobo and memory, and put together some spare parts just so there wasn't an empty space on the desk.
Asus B450M Plus, 16gb PC3200 and the ultimate CPU... A Ryzen 1400 :| I threw in my Arc A770 alongside, just so that I could go full CPU bottleneck.

Now that I've put this together, the 5700X3D is calling. I've heard many say that they are quite toasty chips, but how bad really?
The case they are in is quite small for MATX (13.8l ZZAW C2), but the Jonsbo CR-2200 seems quite happy with the overvolted 1400 at 3.9. I was sort of guessing that Zen 3 would probably run a bit cooler, even with more cores and the 3d cache?
Received mine today and have been benching it for a couple of hours now. I’m finding it to run at pretty much the same temps as my 5600x (which was clocked at PBO +100mhz). Sometimes 3-5c higher, but todays ambient temps here are 3-5c higher than when I benched my 5600x yesterday.

Currently testing an all-core PBO2 -30 and in Cinebench 24 and Linpack it’s dropping temps by a good 10c (like under 60c on the C24 multi-core test with the AC Liquid Freezer II 280mm).

Last edited:
Soldato
Deliberated for a bit and figured I'd just do it. Although it did feel a bit wrong buying a CPU for such an old platform, but I've got some better G-Skill memory I can pair it with. Should arrive for end of work on Friday, which is good timing.

Associate
Deliberated for a bit and figured I'd just do it. Although it did feel a bit wrong buying a CPU for such an old platform, but I've got some better G-Skill memory I can pair it with. Should arrive for end of work on Friday, which is good timing.
I think you are going to love it! Enjoy.

Soldato
It's mainly to sit on the desk, on the off-chance I feel like using it.
Every day I walk by my desk, and just think about the mismatch of A770 and AMD 1400, it made me feel wrong inside. :D

Soldato
Got this, and it performs fine but I’m really having issues with it just constantly keeping high clock speeds, it’s going between multiple states but it’s always above 3 to 4GHz which just doesn’t seem right. Initially I thought it was because I’d thrown it on an my old Intel 12400’s windows install, so I did a windows reinstall, clearing the CMOS beforehand. It’s still the same behaviour, on a fresh Windows 11 install with latest chipset drivers and a bit of time left for it to calm down.

I’m guessing this is just something to do with the Asus B450M Plus Gaming board. I did see it had a BIOS update in the last month or so, so that’s installed too. With no change... *Friends don’t let friends buy Asus!*
I’m not sure I will ever notice the difference between this CPU and my 12400 that was just allowed to turbo indefinitely, but it’s for sure a nice option for those with older AM4 boards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom