• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x high tempratures

Associate
hi guys,

so i tthink im having issues with my ryzen 7 5800x chip, i have a 360mm rad and a 240mm rad in a custom loop

i am getting tempratures of like 38-50 idle, 65-75 degrees in games

is this normal for a custom loop like mine? - ive checked the pump flow and it seems fine, ive also tried reseating the block so i doubt it is this

are these temps normal?

(i tried undervolting, this just seems to bring the gaming temps down to about 65 but idle still fairly high)

Soldato
for stock voltage on the cpu temps in the 75 degree range are actually pretty good on a custom loop as the auto voltage will spike upto 1.5v, but boost clocks will be almost 5ghz, you say you undervolted and noticed a 10 degree drop in games which again is very very good, the 5000 series of chips from amd will run fine upto 105 degrees, BUT its recommened not to exceed 80 for 24/7 use, what i would suggest is apply your undervolt again and enjoy load temps in the 70 degree region and if lower even better, try a voltage in the 1.2-1.275v range and temps should be a lot better

Associate
OP
i also noticed my radiators do not feel hot to the touch - possibly a dying pump? i can see liquid flowing but the rads are not warm at all

Soldato
Hi Lewis, I made a thread like this one yesterday. My 280mm AIO rad has the chip at 90C during Cinebench, like 2 seconds after hitting run. AFTER undervolting. Idles around 38C. It's like the chip puts out so much heat that it can't transfer it to the block fast enough for the big rad to make a difference. It's just a bloody hot chip.

Caporegime
Hi Lewis, I made a thread like this one yesterday. My 280mm AIO rad has the chip at 90C during Cinebench, like 2 seconds after hitting run. AFTER undervolting. Idles around 38C. It's like the chip puts out so much heat that it can't transfer it to the block fast enough for the big rad to make a difference. It's just a bloody hot chip.

Its the size and density of the chip's, they are tiny so very little surface area to transfer heat through.

this was when i was running a stress test and cpu was at 90 degrees and rads still completely cool

This is normal but you can reduce that temperature by running a negative curve optimiser.

Ignore the boost scaler, all you want is Overclocking > PBO Advanced > Curve Optimiser > All Core > Symbol Negative, start with value 10, or try 15, the higher the number the better, but too high and its unstable, unstable could mean randomly crashing while idle on the Desktop 3 days later....

https://youtu.be/GUtXMSD7Fsw?t=259

Last edited:
Soldato
this was when i was running a stress test and cpu was at 90 degrees and rads still completely cool

Which stress test did you use?, If cinebench r23 the rads won't get warm as that benchmark only last a few minutes and tbh it the worse case for any amd 5000 chips, my chip (5950x) can go almost 100 degrees if I run it even on my custom loop, I'd look solo at games as that's the real world case, if you do a lot of render work then the chip will run quite hot regardless as all cores will be 100% at some stage

Last edited:
Soldato
It's pretty normal for a 5800x.

Because they boost so aggressively, even something like steam downloading an update in the background can cause idle temperatures to go up to like 50c.

On mine, it goes up to about 75c in games, stock volts with PBO +150.

Idle temps vary.

Thats on a 360mm AIO cooler.

Associate
feels like every week there is a new topic "5800X too hot"
We need to sticky a 5800X FAQ

PS every time curve optimiser is suggested, but it does almost nothing to the fix the temperature issue. Yes, it lowers voltage for each frequency point, it improves efficiency. But CPU takes this improved efficiency and raises frequency until it hits power limits again.

Soldato
feels like every week there is a new topic "5800X too hot"
We need to sticky a 5800X FAQ

PS every time curve optimiser is suggested, but it does almost nothing to the fix the temperature issue. Yes, it lowers voltage for each frequency point, it improves efficiency. But CPU takes this improved efficiency and raises frequency until it hits power limits again.
This is why it needs to be used in combination with lower PPT TDC EDC to cap power limits lower than stock.

Associate
Just seen this post as I was about to post a similar thing. I have a 5800x and a kraken z53 aio and mine is idleing around 50-53 but does drop down to 38 and then pops back up to the 50s again. However when I have a few bits open ie discord, web browser, game it can be in 40s. Ive read a lot about it and it does seem to be "normal" but its a bit hard to not worry about it lol. I am going to change the thermal paste to the Kryonaut thermal grizzly as that seemed to make a difference on a previous cooler. When just gaming I see temps in the mid 60s which again seems normal and is quite stable.

Soldato
Just seen this post as I was about to post a similar thing. I have a 5800x and a kraken z53 aio and mine is idleing around 50-53 but does drop down to 38 and then pops back up to the 50s again. However when I have a few bits open ie discord, web browser, game it can be in 40s. Ive read a lot about it and it does seem to be "normal" but its a bit hard to not worry about it lol. I am going to change the thermal paste to the Kryonaut thermal grizzly as that seemed to make a difference on a previous cooler. When just gaming I see temps in the mid 60s which again seems normal and is quite stable.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d consider those fine.

Associate

I'd say that's exceptionally cool for an x5800. I've now had two of them, and both ran in the high 40cs idle, moderate load would go to mid 60s, and would climb to 90c on air at stock voltage on air. Undervolted (peak around 1.285v) and with a 240mm AIO, temps are still mid 40cs idle/high 70s load.

It's a volcano of a chip, probably should never have been released with its stock boost clock and voltage.

Soldato
This is over-simplifying a bit ...but these chips are designed to use 90c as a target temperature, they will (within certain parameters) ramp voltage and clockspeed upto the point where the chip will hit 90c which is the thermal design 'limit' that the boost algorithm will work with. So as I said, this is oversimplifying it but it's a good way to think of it at least. Most people can't realistically cool one of these chips to the point where it will still hit it's maximum performance at a lower temperature than 90c unless you start to play with the Curve Optimizer to alter the boost algorithm and TDC limits this way, even a 360MM AIO is going to see the chip hit 90c, it's just that it will do this at a sustained higher clockspeed than most aircoolers will. On a 280mm AIO I have tuned mine to sustain maximum clockspeed at around 82-84c ...I can actually allow it to boost higher than 4.8Ghz if I want to by using the remaining temperature 'allowance' if you will, this is what Curve Optimizer is for.

You really do have to change the way you think about CPU temperature somewhat with these chips.

Caporegime
This is over-simplifying a bit ...but these chips are designed to use 90c as a target temperature, they will (within certain parameters) ramp voltage and clockspeed upto the point where the chip will hit 90c which is the thermal design 'limit' that the boost algorithm will work with. So as I said, this is oversimplifying it but it's a good way to think of it at least. Most people can't realistically cool one of these chips to the point where it will still hit it's maximum performance at a lower temperature than 90c unless you start to play with the Curve Optimizer to alter the boost algorithm and TDC limits this way, even a 360MM AIO is going to see the chip hit 90c, it's just that it will do this at a sustained higher clockspeed than most aircoolers will. On a 280mm AIO I have tuned mine to sustain maximum clockspeed at around 82-84c ...I can actually allow it to boost higher than 4.8Ghz if I want to by using the remaining temperature 'allowance' if you will, this is what Curve Optimizer is for.

You really do have to change the way you think about CPU temperature somewhat with these chips.

Sort of yes and no.

The is a limit, that limit is 4.85Ghz on the 5800X, its 4.95Ghz on the 5900X and 5.05Ghz on the 5950X, other than core count its how AMD segment these CPU's.

The Curve optimiser doesn't have any effect on ST boosts because there isn't a cooler bad enough to thermal throttle a single core, but when you're running all 16 threads at 100% load eveything changes, the maximum volts you see are around 1.35v, in ST workloads its around 1.5v.

Even with temperatures under 90c, and yes actually i'm running between 75c and 80c at 100% 16 thread loads i'm still only boosting to 4.7Ghz, sometimes slightly more, 50Mhz or so... My PPT is around 100 to 110 Watts, with 142 available, so its not hitting the temperature limit, its no where near the socket power limit. and yet i'm still short of the maximum boost range.

So what is it? its the third aspect, its not going to pump 1.5v in to all 8 cores all at once even when it has the thermal and power range to do so, because doing that would probably burn the chip out prematurely.

what its actually doing is very clever, it has its thermal limits and its power limits, but, and this is an actual explanation of how this works, the CPU is monitoring its own stress load from one millisecond to the next (No BS actual time) and it knows how many volts and mhz it can push the CPU depending on how high the stress is on the CPU.

As it happens i have a Negative curve set to 7 and +150Mhz, that's a maximum boost of 5Ghz, with 100% load i get to around 4.7Ghz to 4.8Ghz, ST 5Ghz, but in games, even games that have all 16 threads loaded to some extent i get 5Ghz, sometimes dipping 50Mhz or so, and the volts in that situation are around 1.4 to 1.5v, a game, even a very stressful game is not that stressful so it will allow the CPU to draw more volts and high Mhz.

Zen 3 is possibly the first Smart CPU, it thinks for its self what's best for it.

Last edited:
Associate
I have recently built a system based around a 7-5800x with an old Noctua NH-14 air cooler and my temps haven't gone over 70 so far

Back
Top Bottom