• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900X won't POST - Incompatible BIOS?

Soldato
Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5900X
RAM: Team Group DDR4-3200

I've got all this built, but it won't POST. The motherboard cycles the Aura LEDs down one edge as soon as you apply power to the PSU (standby power) and on power-up, the RGB fans sync up but the DRAM Q-LED lights orange as soon as it has power. I've removed the GPU (to simplify) and moved the RAM about different sockets - initially all four and then different sticks in just the A2 socket recommended. Nothing helps. Before I drive myself nuts taking things apart, is it going to be that this board hasn't got a recent enough BIOS to even POST this CPU?

Don't have any other AMD CPUs I could use to check it, unfortunately.

Thanks guys.

Given that the Bios for Zen 3 were really only released in the past week I think the answer will be yes.

You will need to find a USB key and download and install a bios but it should be easy enough provided you put the usb key in the correct usb socket (check the backboard and the manual if the back isn't clear).

Damn, that's what I feared. As far as I can tell, it's only possible to flash the BIOS without a supported CPU if you have the BIOS Flashback feature....and this board doesn't seem to have that, only Crashfree BIOS 3.
Does it seem likely that the DRAM light would be lit rather than the CPU light? I suppose if the memory controller is in the CPU and the CPU isn't supported, it might.

ASUS boards might have a sticker on them near CPU socket to indicate what BIOS is on there - looks like it should boot with the AGESA 1.0.8.0 that wasnt released until August but If it doesn't have a flashback feature then maybe you can borrow a chip?

Given that the Bios for Zen 3 were really only released in the past week I think the answer will be yes.

You will need to find a USB key and download and install a bios but it should be easy enough provided you put the usb key in the correct usb socket (check the backboard and the manual if the back isn't clear).

also it's not even a proper bios release

I jumped on the Asus site and noticed the zen 3 bios for x570 is a BETA, yep all bios files are still in BETa testing

ASUS boards might have a sticker on them near CPU socket to indicate what BIOS is on there - looks like it should boot with the AGESA 1.0.8.0 that wasnt released until August but If it doesn't have a flashback feature then maybe you can borrow a chip?

Ah, cheers. There's a sticker and I think that "706023 - -5-57 - MB1180 - B05 1407" suggests it has the 1407 bios (only number that ties up with their releases. That dates to 10/4/2020 but the AGESA 1.0.8.0 doesn't appear until version 2607 in 17/8/2020. Well at least that looks like it confirms it.

I've had an offer from the only friend I know with an AMD chip....but it's a 200 mile round trip. There's the AMD offer of a boot kit but according the KB article they supply an Athlon 200GE and unless I'm reading it wrong, that's not on the list of supported CPU's for this board. Am I wrong there? Anyone know if it's worth asking AMD if they do a newer boot kit? Or can OCUK flash the board and send it back? (purchased from them, naturally).

Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5900X
RAM: Team Group DDR4-3200

I've got all this built, but it won't POST. The motherboard cycles the Aura LEDs down one edge as soon as you apply power to the PSU (standby power) and on power-up, the RGB fans sync up but the DRAM Q-LED lights orange as soon as it has power. I've removed the GPU (to simplify) and moved the RAM about different sockets - initially all four and then different sticks in just the A2 socket recommended. Nothing helps. Before I drive myself nuts taking things apart, is it going to be that this board hasn't got a recent enough BIOS to even POST this CPU?

Don't have any other AMD CPUs I could use to check it, unfortunately.

Thanks guys.

I have the same CPU and Mobo as you, I updated to the bios released on the 4th and I've not had any issue.

I did have a 3700x though so flashing it wasn't a problem.

I had to use Q Flash Plus on my Gigabyte x570 I (mini itx board) before I could POST with the 5900X. Plug in a FAT32 formatted USB stick with the BIOS on it, press the button, wait, job done. Tremendously awesome feature, and it doesn't even need the system to be on.

You could try nabbing a lowest end CPU from any site that does B stock or returns, that's what a friend did. I'd get him to send it on if he hadn't already.

Thanks all, much appreciated for confirming I wasn't going nuts. @ALXAndy Were it legal and I wasn't jittering with stress from multiple sources, I'd make a day of it. Appreciate the offer though.

This board doesn't have FlashBack. You can update or even recover from bios failure using a USB stick but only when there's a supported CPU in the socket.

Spoke to OCUK and they would flash the board for me if I post it back to them. I've just found an updated boot kit offer from AMD for the 5000 series though and I'm going to try that since it doesn't require completely dismantling the build - that obviously I impatiently put together before the CPU had arrived. If it's of help to anyone, the link is here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Will do. So far, I've had a "New Request Received" email and a "Global Customer Care Account Created" email but they're just notifications/confirmations - nothing that asks for any details yet.

Incidentally, having had to take the cooler off and clean off the (expensive!) gunk so I could read the serial number, I discovered that there IS a serial number on the box, it's just in tiny print and underneath the OCUK stock number sticker :-/
Later we shall play the game of "Is there enough Kryonaut in the tube to do another complete CPU?"! There's been at least two so far and it wasn't the extra-large tube.

I did find a comment on an article from 11/1/2019 relating to this process but for the 3000-series. I can but hope that it's better this time but I have to say that it doesn't fill me with hope:

It's a terribly slow process. Called Monday, directed to webpage. 3 days later get email response to send info like lots of pics and receipt (I should have been asked for all that in the initial request). Further waiting, It's Friday, and still no response from AMD. I call every day (squeaky wheel gets the grease), but nothing still (so for me it's a week and it hasn't shipped). They claim 14 working days to send it out, and that's after a week or more to even accept the request. I have read users takings over a month for their boot kits. I think AMD is purposefully slow in order to exhaust the return window on their products.

I'm wondering if it would be quicker to ask OCUK to flash it but I'd feared (with no basis for that, just figured they'd be busy) that may take longer than waiting for AMD.

I can put away my rain coat now :D

I would say post it to me, but then I have to take my board out. I don't have any test gear at my flat any more. It all went over to mum's in about four large chunks.

Back
Top Bottom