• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900X won't POST - Incompatible BIOS?

I don't understand why AMD needed to release this 5000 series without any support - not a single board that supports the new CPUs out of the box, as is?
So amateurish, so painful to watch or try to explain. Just plain stupid and anti-user. :eek:

I don't understand why AMD needed to release this 5000 series without any support - not a single board that supports the new CPUs out of the box, as is?
So amateurish, so painful to watch or try to explain. Just plain stupid and anti-user. :eek:

It would delay them by months if they did that as it would take time for updated stock to reach retailers. Also, retailers would need to flash any existing stock, which is not feasible.

They could have pulled an Intel and change the socket every 6 months.

Yes I agree would have been better releasing new motherboards with new chipset :p

It would delay them by months if they did that as it would take time for updated stock to reach retailers. Also, retailers would need to flash any existing stock, which is not feasible.

They could have pulled an Intel and change the socket every 6 months.

Changing sockets is a completely different topic. They could have started adding the new IDs/strings to the much older BIOS versions.

It's not like the 5000 series fell down from heaven two weeks ago.

No hassle getting mine up and running tonight. Used the Flashback BIOS feature on the Asus board, flashed with the latest beta bios. Then popped the CPU in and here I am. Couldn't have been easier if I'm being honest. :)

Nowadays you can flash bios without CPU installed :eek:
Only if your motherboard supports USB FlashBack....which is only on the ROG series of the Asus boards (and probably other manufacturers, I'm just dealing with an Asus board). You can tell those that do as they have a bios button on the I/O panel.

Only if your motherboard supports USB FlashBack....which is only on the ROG series of the Asus boards (and probably other manufacturers, I'm just dealing with an Asus board). You can tell those that do as they have a bios button on the I/O panel.

I agree with you and am really sorry for this inconvenience.
Installing a new CPU has to work like Plug&Play, not after reading dozens of lines of instructions how-to-do it and praying that won't breach the board.

I did and they'd be willing to do so if I posted it back. I didn't ask how long that would take though and didn't overly want to dismantle to everything after I'd tamed all the cabling with colourful language and zip ties.
I think the plan now is to buy a 3900X. Use that to flash with and then build it into a system with parts for a friend as they come on offer. I'll let you guys know what I hear from AMD though.

Further proof that some people will complain about anything and everything.

Morning all. I've not heard anything from AMD yet beyond the acknowledgements of filling in the form. Thought I'd let you know that a 3900X installed in the board gives exactly the same orange LED and a sinking feeling of dread......and then springs to life after just long enough that you've started to headbutt the desk.
Bios update takes the better part of ten minutes and then follows up after a reboot with "BIOS is updating Led firmware" and resets again. I know you're going to hate me but I've been commanded to go to work so I haven't got time to test the 5900X in the board this morning but I'll get on it asap. All looks promising though!

Spoke too soon. Had this an hour ago from AMD. Just to give those thinking of this route an idea of response times and requirements for the next phase.

AMD said:
Thank you for your request to loan a boot kit from AMD.

Before approving your request, I would like to verify that you have tried to contact your motherboard manufacturer or their local authorized service provider, and they have established that your motherboard requires a BIOS update, and were not able to help you perform that update.

Please provide a summary or copy of your communication with the motherboard manufacturer to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

NOTE: Some motherboards are designed to support “USB BIOS Flashback,” which allows for BIOS updates from a flash drive even if the current BIOS on the motherboard does not have the software code to boot a new processor. Such motherboards feature special hardware to enable USB BIOS Flashback, and every manufacturer has a unique procedure to execute USB BIOS Flashback. Check your motherboard’s user manual to see if USB BIOS Flashback is supported. If it Is supported, follow the steps described in the manual or support documentation to perform the BIOS update.

If the motherboard manufacturer is unable to assist, and your motherboard does not support USB BIOS flashback, AMD is in position to be able to provide a short-term loan of a Boot kit, such that you can Flash the BIOS yourself.

To qualify for this service, AMD will require a picture of your Ryzen processor that clearly shows the Model number and Serial number plus a copy of your purchase invoice.

Please Note: A picture of the retail box is not sufficient

List of qualifying parts:

Ryzen 9 5950X
Ryzen 9 5900X
Ryzen 7 5800X
Ryzen 5 5600X
Ryzen 9 3950X
Ryzen 9 3900X
Ryzen 7 3800X
Ryzen 7 3700X
Ryzen 7 2700X
Ryzen 7 2700E
Ryzen 7 2700
Ryzen 5 3600X
Ryzen 5 3600
Ryzen 5 3400G
Ryzen 5 2600X
Ryzen 5 2600E
Ryzen 5 2600
Ryzen 2500X
Ryzen 5 2400G
Ryzen 5 2400GE
Ryzen 3 3200G
Ryzen 3 2300X
Ryzen 3 2200G
Ryzen 3 2200GE

Please can you also provide a picture of your motherboard clearly displaying the make and model number.

* By submitting these details, you agree to the attached terms and conditions of AMD’s Boot Kit loan.

Once we receive this information, we will be happy to review your claim to establish legibility for a Boot Kit loan.

If you no longer require this service, no response is required.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Markus

AMD Global Customer Care

No, in the ASUS range, it's almost exclusively the ROG boards that support Bios Flashback.
When you download the bios it even gives you instructions about what to name the file for flashback but if you follow the link for how to do it, it's not on the list of boards that support it. There's also no button on the I/O panel (or on the board) for flashback.

Quick splash of acetone, swap of CPU, scrape the bottom of the Kryonaut barrel and......she LIVES! She's a nat's toasty at times on a 240 AIO with the speeds turned down (curve favouring peace and quiet) but I guess that's what happens when you suddenly turn all 12 cores up to over 4.5GHz. This isn't an overclock - all at stock - it's boosting to 4.5 on all cores and I've seen a couple hit 4.95. Shove a decent custom loop on there and you'd be laughing. Definite warm breeze wafting out the front from the rad though - even at mainly idle.

Firecuda 520 (512 GB) hit 5GB/s by 2.5GB/s on a 1GB test in Crystal DiskMark 7.

Quick splash of acetone, swap of CPU, scrape the bottom of the Kryonaut barrel and......she LIVES! She's a nat's toasty at times on a 240 AIO with the speeds turned down (curve favouring peace and quiet) but I guess that's what happens when you suddenly turn all 12 cores up to over 4.5GHz. This isn't an overclock - all at stock - it's boosting to 4.5 on all cores and I've seen a couple hit 4.95. Shove a decent custom loop on there and you'd be laughing. Definite warm breeze wafting out the front from the rad though - even at mainly idle.

Firecuda 520 (512 GB) hit 5GB/s by 2.5GB/s on a 1GB test in Crystal DiskMark 7.

What temps idle and load on 240?

Back
Top Bottom