• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X £960? Nah mate

Soldato
The 5600x may be expensive per core, but it's probably the best value for money of all the AMD 5x line other than maybe the 5800x, most people who are gaming just don't need the additional cores.

In any case that wasn't my point, I'm just confused as to why there is such a deviance from MSRP for the 59xx chips. It's not like they can be used for mining, they're also not fantastic value for money. As you say, even content creators will see fantastic performance out of the 5800x, so I can't see where the pricing is coming from.

The Ryzen 9 CPUs probably use much better silicon quality chiplets. The Ryzen 7 5800X probably uses lower quality chiplets,and the Ryzen 5 5600X is a die salvage. If you look at the Ryzen 9 5900X and Ryzen 9 5950X,the power consumption per chiplet looks to be lower,even though technically they do boost higher. I suspect the chiplets for the Ryzen 9 CPUs are also being stockpiled for Zen3 based Threadripper and Epyc CPUs.

Well if it's greed, I hope it's not the enthusiast community in general to blame. We seriously need to pull our heads out of our collective posteriors and start smelling the truth.
I'm getting concerned atm that the hate directed externally over GPU's and CPU's might not be entirely warranted.

Admittedly it could still be scalpers, but I expect them the get thrown under the bus soon, AMD has shown far more aptitude to stock the 5xxx CPUs than their GPU lines.

The community over the last 10 years did bring it on itself to some degree. Look what happened when Nvidia started making £1000 Titan GPUs,etc - within a generation £1000 GPUs were accepted.

Also the Zen3 CPUs use 80MM2 7NM chiplets and can sell from £280 upwards. A GPU uses much bigger 7NM chips,needs GDDR6,etc so AMD can make far more profits on Zen3 and its jacked up pricing.

Associate
It's simple supply and demand, there are fewer 5900x and 5950x CPU's (higher binned?) so prices go up. I'd rather AMD or a retailer like Overpricers do it than some scalper using bots. I managed to get a 5600x for £226, possibly a pricing error, it will do just fine until the 5900x is in stock for a sensible price.

Associate
I am assuming the quoted price was from OC? Not sure they are "scalpers" but to be fair basic economics says price is a supply vs demand curve.

It's staying 'in stock' here and elsewhere (for less) so I think you are right. OC's demand that we pay scalper prices seems to have exceeded the supply of people with more money than sense :cry:

I'll get my hat ...

Associate
OCUK isn't getting shafted by suppliers, it costs retailers in the UK less that £700 to buy a 5950x and that buy price hasn't fluctuated by more than £20 since launch, you can probably guess how I know that ;). What OCUK have done over the past few months on both CPUs and GPUs is shocking, every retailer is milking it but some "cough ocuk* are far worse than others.

It's ridiculous because you would expect they would want to keep there loyal customers happy and pull in new customers.

Quick profits never beats the long game.

Associate
It's ridiculous because you would expect they would want to keep there loyal customers happy and pull in new customers.

Quick profits never beats the long game.

Yeah but OC have tried to keep the prices down with various schemes in the past but this just results in a flood of wise guys clearing the shelf to resell on Ebay. Worse still they're not selling the quantities they used to due to supply shortages, I'm sure they would be keen to just keep customers, but not sure whats the best scheme here.

I'm a bit puzzled why the 5950/5900's are in short supply, any silicon manufacturer should be rather excited to sell silicon at £200 a chip even. When I used to work for a major Japanese asic foundry I heard the nordic division were chasing Nokia business at the time when they were massive business - the price per a chip was $3-$4 a chip with quantities in the millions. I'm suspecting AMD/TSMC must be having difficulties with their yields to explain the shortages.

Soldato
I'm guessing that the current OCUK stock is from some grey import source. Let's face it peeps, there is NO other uk retailer that actually have stock that you can order and have on your doorstep in the morning.
Is this a bad thing ? Actually i think it is in the long term, both for OCUK and us as customers. The reason being that if OCUK feel that they need to constantly go to the grey market to get stock, then maybe they should look in more detail at the relationship with the official channels.

Caporegime
Yeah but OC have tried to keep the prices down with various schemes in the past but this just results in a flood of wise guys clearing the shelf to resell on Ebay.
Sad, isn't it.

As unfortunate as it is, you're better off being scalped by a retailer than by a reseller. At least you still have your rights, such as right of return, with a retailer.

Associate
I'm guessing that the current OCUK stock is from some grey import source. Let's face it peeps, there is NO other uk retailer that actually have stock that you can order and have on your doorstep in the morning.
Is this a bad thing ? Actually i think it is in the long term, both for OCUK and us as customers. The reason being that if OCUK feel that they need to constantly go to the grey market to get stock, then maybe they should look in more detail at the relationship with the official channels.

Nope, stock is available and has been for a few days now. Seems things are changing. I've just had a very quick look around and found two reputable UK retailers with stock of 5900x and 5950x, one selling CPU boxed product, the other selling bundled with a motherboard. Both significantly cheaper than OCUK, but still quite a bit above RRP however.

Also I see that the 5800x has been dipping below RRP in some deals in the last few days.

Soldato
Any reason for this... I had a day 1 pre order for a while and gave up after months when I got a 5600x for MSRP... Thought to myself I'll get one when things calm down a little... I am not paying that though, that's £200 above the price I ordered at and my brother bought for.

No thanks. I guess OCUK got shafted by the distros again.

A 16c 32t chip will appeal to more than just home user/DIY PC builder. £1000 for a CPU is a pittance in some markets

Associate
Sad, isn't it.

As unfortunate as it is, you're better off being scalped by a retailer than by a reseller. At least you still have your rights, such as right of return, with a retailer.

Better off in that respect but it's poor practice. I mean come on, big high street retailers aren't marking them up. The 5900X is £540 at the big C. It's not in stock, but they price match as well.

People use the capitalism argument and yes, there is supply and demand, but other than having stock what are OCuk offering in return for scalping you that makes them any better than a low life on eBay? A warranty? They have to offer that by law as a retailer. It's not good will. A bag of sweets in the box? Yeah nice but for £210 I think I'd rather be patient.

Scalping is scalping. And it's low and it sucks. It doesn't matter who is doing it. If it's a guy on eBay who has 1 item and isn't a business or making a living from opportunistically taking advantage then it's not so bad. But OCuk is a business and they obviously feel that people have short memories and that making some fast cash now for nothing whatsoever to the buyer is worth more than integrity/optics.

Let's be honest, few people would bat an eyelid if they slapped an extra £50 in it. Maybe even £100, at a push. But hiking the price by over a third? That's just greedy.

There again they don't appear to be selling out too quick as they still have stock after >24hrs.

Associate
Better off in that respect but it's poor practice. I mean come on, big high street retailers aren't marking them up. The 5900X is £540 at the big C. It's not in stock, but they price match as well.
But they have it in stock.

I'm not willing to pay that much (for a 5900x, but still). But if I was, I could at least buy it. It sucks that this is the level of availability.

What use is another retailer who has no stock but an "honest" price? What's the bet that when they do have stock, the price jumps?

Associate
But they have it in stock.

I'm not willing to pay that much (for a 5900x, but still). But if I was, I could at least buy it. It sucks that this is the level of availability.

What use is another retailer who has no stock but an "honest" price? What's the bet that when they do have stock, the price jumps?

OCUK don't have a monopoly on stock for 5950x/5900x - they have been available from other reputable names for a little while now (and a quick check shows still available) and cheaper than here as well.

One retailer is even doing a 5950x + Motherboard bundle at £60 less than OCUK are charging for the CPU alone. Even if you threw the MoBo in the bin then you woudl still be better off !

Back
Top Bottom