• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950x Not POSTing

Associate
I have a speculative hunch that all these no post issues people are having might relate to a compatibility problem between zen 3 and micron memory, it's definitely been a common factor and I had issues too.
Could just be coincidence since micron is very popular, I think someone in another thread, had issues with a Corsair kit, so will see if I can find it and confirm what memory it uses.

Associate
OP
Interesting. Isn't the memory that RedTS mentioned built on Micron? Which would suggest it's not just Micron memory.

And sorry @faceman123 I missed your comment. Yes it's working with the 3600xt with this memory, I have some other Corsair 3000 sticks that I threw in to test with and that ended up with the same result.

Associate
Unfortunate, I've contacted overclockers to start the returns process.

Try a few different bios versions, use flashback to switch between them (you only need the 24 pin and 8 pin plugged in, no cpu or memory etc required). Asus has big problems with their 5000 series bioses on Crosshair boards at the moment, you'll find similar tales of woe on Asus own forum in the Crosshair beta bios thread as well as on HWBot and Overclock.net forums. I have 2 2 x 8gb good b-die kits that work brilliantly in my other motherboards yet will barely post in my Impact and give very similar errors to what you are seeing. Fortunately my 2 x 16gb b-die kit works (and overclocks) just great on the 2402 bios. The fact that you reach post cpu memory initialisation means the cpu has initialised fine and its the memory training that's failing. Don't expect the safe boot button to work either, AMD's own inbuilt recovery system conflicts with it and stops it working.

Associate
OP
Okay, I'll try 2311 and 2402 tomorrow, as I've already tried 2502 and I'm currently on 2702.

What memory did you manage to get it to post with? Guess I should get ready to maybe buy some more RAM in case it isn't the CPU or MoBo

Associate
If its any help I have CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory working with a 5950x and asus x570 i mobo.

Associate
I had/may still have issues with my 5950x & x570 MSI Tomahawk, yesterday and this morning whilst building/testing. Lots of black screen reboots, corrupted my windows install once, totally random, sometimes sitting idle on the desktop it would just reboot.

I ran it under OCCT for an hour with no errors. But when it did crash there is a WHEA "Cache Hierarchy Error" in the event viewer. The only bios change was setting my gskill 3200 ram at 3200, everything else default.

I was so tempted to RMA it, but now after i had a bad crash, had to clear cmos just to boot, and then i just did a load optimized defaults in bios and its been fine, but my ram is running at 2100 :(

I'm gonna wait to see if a updated MSI bios comes up (im on 7C84v151(Beta version)) if the next update doesnt let me run my ram at 3200 without issues then will RMA the cpu. The 2700x I had before with all these components was fine.

Associate
I've just installed my 5600x into msi b550m Pro vdh WiFi, and hit a few weird bits getting going.

When I enabled xmp2, I had all kinds of issues, not booting, not posting etc. Reset bios to default, and set the ram manually. Been fine since. Ran 3dmark, stress test and benchmarked in cpuz.

Might be worth a try

Associate
Actually i'm having memory issues with my 5950X too...

I have a 3900X ( now in the box ) with 4x8 Team Group Xtreem 4500 @3733CL14 without any issue.

When I installed the 5950x, I noticed that my aida64 bench performance was subpar ... super sub-par, getting 39k on reads ...
Then I was not able to get 1900IF ...
I decided just to try with 2 ram sticks ( the 4x8 are actually 2 different kits, and from different batches ... one is rev1 and the other rev2 )...

With 2 rams sticks of the newer batch, i can get 3800CL14 with super tight timings without issues ... i then installed the other ram sticks i can't even post ...

Something is a mess with these Zen 3 bios for sure... :(

Associate
Yeah im considering new ram myself, seeing as mine isnt on the QVL list anyway, but this is the first time I've had memory issues. My 5950x system is stable now but I'm holding off on new ram until hopefully a more stable bios comes out december. I could just get some 3200 listed on the QVL for the motherboard/5000 series but want to get something a bit faster, just worried my infinity fabric quality is sub par.

EDIT: I was an idiot and forgot my 2 GSkill 16Gb sets had slightly differents timings. One 16GB set is CL14 and the other CL16. My old 2700x didnt mind this but the 5950x does. At least now I can run at 3200 cl14-14-14-34 even it is half my ram.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for all the replies, unfortunately none of them have fixed it :mad:

I tried 2311 and 2402 and neither POSTed, it was either Q code 27 or 36, which again both fall under the "CPU Post-Memory Initialization" message. Overclockers seemed OK with me holding onto the RMA for a little bit longer dependent on any potential BIOS updates from ASUS, but I don't know how long.

@Paradiso Do you have a link to the QVL for RAM, I only seem to be able to find the Overclocked Memory list.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah I checked that when buying the MoBo, but I don't know if the memory is meant to be compatible with the CPU. I would have thought it is as it's currently working fine with my 3600xt.

Associate
Yeah I checked that when buying the MoBo, but I don't know if the memory is meant to be compatible with the CPU. I would have thought it is as it's currently working fine with my 3600xt.

I see what you're getting at but I'm not aware of any QVL list that would specifically relate to a processor rather than a motherboard. If there was such a thing, I'd be really interested in seeing it.

Associate
OP
Right, that's what I thought! But when my PC didn't POST and I started looking into what could be wrong, all the first responses to questions that match my problem say "Are you sure the RAM is compatible" (after the obvious "Are you on the latest BIOS")

Associate
OP
Apologies for bumping this semi-old thread, but Overclockers received my RMA and confirmed that the CPU they sent me is actually functional on the Crosshair VIII Hero on the latest BIOS. So that leaves me with the options of; incompatible RAM, Differences in the Hero vs Formula BIOS, or maybe the motherboard is ******?

Can anyone who reads this and has a working 5950x CPU let me know what RAM they have running? Not what you've OC'd it to, what it should be off the shelf, so I can actually find it :)

Cheers!

Associate
Apologies for bumping this semi-old thread, but Overclockers received my RMA and confirmed that the CPU they sent me is actually functional on the Crosshair VIII Hero on the latest BIOS. So that leaves me with the options of; incompatible RAM, Differences in the Hero vs Formula BIOS, or maybe the motherboard is ******?

Can anyone who reads this and has a working 5950x CPU let me know what RAM they have running? Not what you've OC'd it to, what it should be off the shelf, so I can actually find it :)

Cheers!

5950x working fine in a ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact x570MB. Latest 3003 BIOS. My memory is Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 3200 32GB (dual kit) model number CMW32GX4M2C3200C16. Not the fastest but working fine with XMP-3200 profile (or DOCP). This is a Ryzen Optimised kit and uses Samsung memory according to CPUID.

TomDD

Back
Top Bottom