• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950x Not POSTing

Associate
3003 is the latest BIOS for the Crosshair VIII Formula, and that is what I am running.

Man, that's literally the RAM I have I except mine is in white...

They might be different under the hood. I have seen corsair ram with the exact same product numbers but different chips, some samsung BDie, others from micron. To confirm it's best to check with Thaiphoon Burner. it sucks this even matters, but seems this is an issue with the BIOS for your board.

Associate
OP
They might be different under the hood. I have seen corsair ram with the exact same product numbers but different chips, some samsung BDie, others from micron. To confirm it's best to check with Thaiphoon Burner. it sucks this even matters, but seems this is an issue with the BIOS for your board.
Thanks for the suggestion, Thaiphoon says the DRAM Manufacturer is Samsung, while the JEDEC Raw Card Designer is Micron, So I'm not 100% sure who is the suspect party. I'll try 1 and 2 sticks again when I get the CPU back from Overclockers, see if the new BIOS helped any.

Soldato
I had/may still have issues with my 5950x & x570 MSI Tomahawk, yesterday and this morning whilst building/testing. Lots of black screen reboots, corrupted my windows install once, totally random, sometimes sitting idle on the desktop it would just reboot.

I ran it under OCCT for an hour with no errors. But when it did crash there is a WHEA "Cache Hierarchy Error" in the event viewer. The only bios change was setting my gskill 3200 ram at 3200, everything else default.

I was so tempted to RMA it, but now after i had a bad crash, had to clear cmos just to boot, and then i just did a load optimized defaults in bios and its been fine, but my ram is running at 2100 :(

I'm gonna wait to see if a updated MSI bios comes up (im on 7C84v151(Beta version)) if the next update doesnt let me run my ram at 3200 without issues then will RMA the cpu. The 2700x I had before with all these components was fine.

Any chance you got a bios yet that's sorted your issues? Having the same problem (Idle reboots, WHEA Cache Hierarchy Errors) with my 5950x and Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro. So far, same as you, running ram at default is the only thing that's given a semblance of stability (XMP 3600 is a no go). TBH reading around, feels like I'm seeing way too many cases of this to be the cpu. Just seems crazy there would be *that* many defective units. Though maybe that's just me trying to convince myself to avoid the idea of RMA'ing it :D

Associate
Any chance you got a bios yet that's sorted your issues? Having the same problem (Idle reboots, WHEA Cache Hierarchy Errors) with my 5950x and Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro. So far, same as you, running ram at default is the only thing that's given a semblance of stability (XMP 3600 is a no go). TBH reading around, feels like I'm seeing way too many cases of this to be the cpu. Just seems crazy there would be *that* many defective units. Though maybe that's just me trying to convince myself to avoid the idea of RMA'ing it :D

I'm still on the latest 151 beta bios from MSI. I think for me the thing that fixed it was turning of xmp and using the MSI bios Try It Memory! setting for my 3200 CL14 memory. I recently turned back on C-States (which i thought may be causing it) and have had no idle crashing or WHEA errors for about 2 weeks. It seems to be a memory issue which a new bios will hopefully sort. You may need to set memory manually and slacken the timings slightly.

EDIT: Had to disable C-States again as I did get an idle crash the next day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still on the latest 151 beta bios from MSI. I think for me the thing that fixed it was turning of xmp and using the MSI bios Try It Memory! setting for my 3200 CL14 memory. I recently turned back on C-States (which i thought may be causing it) and have had no idle crashing or WHEA errors for about 2 weeks. It seems to be a memory issue which a new bios will hopefully sort. You may need to set memory manually and slacken the timings slightly.

I updated to a beta Gigabyte bios that seems to have fixed my issues. I've been running my ram at 3600 for the last week or so and seems to be all good :)

Back
Top Bottom