• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X WHEA Cache Hierarchy Error

Associate
Recently received my brand new 5950X which I swapped out my 3800X for in my Asus I-Gaming X570 motherboard.

Running the board in full defaults mode causes no issues, however if I attempt to use an XMP/DOCP profile, all hell breaks loose (cache hierarchy errors + corrupt files + constant spontaneous reboots), despite the RAM being fine. Strangely running memtest86 for a few hours whilst in XMP/DOCP mode shows no errors, but I am unable to reliable run Windows 10 like this. The reboots only take place when the machine is in relative idle.

Currently going back to defaults mode in order to keep a stable system. I've also stopped PBO, but PBO did not seem to be the triggering factor. For safety however I have turned it back off, although processor seems to happy to spin up a single core to over 5Ghz in some workloads even without PBO enabled.

Currently on the 2816 bios and have a feeling this might be BIOS rather than CPU related.

Any suggestions out there? Putting machine in full default mode and running any stress tests yields no issues whatsoever, but default memory is around 2129 Mhz which does not really do this CPU justice.

Thoughts most welcome, otherwise I guess I will need to do an RMA. Technically my RAM will run to 3600 Mhz, and even putting it back to 3200 does not help. The system just keep rebooting.

Associate
Quick ? Did you reinstall windows after putting in the new CPU? I had very similar issues (crash/reboot when idle) and had to do a full reinstall to get a stable system. Has been ok for over a week now.

TomDD

Associate
Recently received my brand new 5950X which I swapped out my 3800X for in my Asus I-Gaming X570 motherboard.

Running the board in full defaults mode causes no issues, however if I attempt to use an XMP/DOCP profile, all hell breaks loose (cache hierarchy errors + corrupt files + constant spontaneous reboots), despite the RAM being fine. Strangely running memtest86 for a few hours whilst in XMP/DOCP mode shows no errors, but I am unable to reliable run Windows 10 like this. The reboots only take place when the machine is in relative idle.

Currently going back to defaults mode in order to keep a stable system. I've also stopped PBO, but PBO did not seem to be the triggering factor. For safety however I have turned it back off, although processor seems to happy to spin up a single core to over 5Ghz in some workloads even without PBO enabled.

Currently on the 2816 bios and have a feeling this might be BIOS rather than CPU related.

Any suggestions out there? Putting machine in full default mode and running any stress tests yields no issues whatsoever, but default memory is around 2129 Mhz which does not really do this CPU justice.

Thoughts most welcome, otherwise I guess I will need to do an RMA. Technically my RAM will run to 3600 Mhz, and even putting it back to 3200 does not help. The system just keep rebooting.

it is indeed bios related - I had the same experience onmy 5950x on X570-E.

You can solve it in two ways:

1: Revert to latest non BETA bios
2: Manual edit voltages in bios as follows:

Cpu Soc Voltage 1.1v
*Vddg iod 950mv
*Vddg ccd 900mv

Rock solid for me since adjusting voltages.

Cheers

C

Associate
OP
Quick ? Did you reinstall windows after putting in the new CPU? I had very similar issues (crash/reboot when idle) and had to do a full reinstall to get a stable system. Has been ok for over a week now.

TomDD

Absolutely. Changing processor architectures in my mind does mean a full rebuild.

Cpu Soc Voltage 1.1v
*Vddg iod 950mv
*Vddg ccd 900mv

Cheers

C

Not sure I want to go down the non-BETA path as posts on other forums including ASUS, MSI and Reddit all seem to suggest the older BIOS versions also have issues. Basically from what I can gather it is a bit of a mess. I'd prefer to tinker with voltages in the BIOS rather than go backwards, especially as I know we are waiting for a new AGESA code to be included shortly anyhow. My guess is that AMD and the motherboard partners have some work to do. Just surprised the reviewers out there are not finding these issues and it's just people like me complaining on forums.

Associate
OP

Cpu Soc Voltage 1.1v
*Vddg iod 950mv
*Vddg ccd 900mv

Cheers

C

Thanks for the tip. Not seen those exact voltages listed anywhere before. I've put them into the BIOS and the good news is that I have been able to run DOCP/XMP and the machine seems stable. Nothing strange in the logs at all. In fact I am quite tempted to rebuild again just in case as I have not been able to keep the machine anywhere near this level back at auto.

Cheers!

Associate
Those with Gigabyte boards getting WHEA errors (CPU interconnect mainly) check the Motherboard page. Iv just got the new F11n for my B550 Pro and it seems to have solved the problems (so far so good - with f11i it was instant WHEA errors)

So worth checking that out.

Associate
OP

Cpu Soc Voltage 1.1v
*Vddg iod 950mv
*Vddg ccd 900mv

Cheers

C

FWIW, those settings did not work when setting up windows. They work fine once everything is set up, but need to go back to full defaults for initial build.

If anything, it shows these new 5000 series processors certainly seem to be a little touchy on the voltages.

Soldato
however if I attempt to use an XMP/DOCP profile, all hell breaks loose (cache hierarchy errors + corrupt files + constant spontaneous reboots), despite the RAM being fine.

A recent video by Gamers Nexus highlighted that XMP / DOCP on Ryzen 5000 platforms wasn't setting memory settings correctly - particularly voltage.

Associate
OP
Another thing I have noticed is that I get random bad block entries in my System Logs. Strangely if I then do a chkdsk, sfc or look at SMART data, no issues are to be found. Again I suspect this is all down to voltage related issues (ID=7). Keen to see if others out there are seeing these entries too.

I think after this morning's latest crash which was back on full defaults, I am going back to 2802 as a BIOS as this instability is really driving me up the wall. I don't mind limping along for a few weeks on lower settings, but I really hope they sort this out.

Associate
It's the Agesa that's the issue, a new version is due soon as the current one is causing varying issues with 5000 series cpus all over.

Associate
This has been some interesting insights I'm still waiting for my chip but have a gigabyte x570 board waiting for it, I will have to check my settings when it arrives

Associate
OP
Still keen to see if others out there are seeing ID 7 errors in their Windows system logs (bad blocks) which seen totally spurious and (thankfully) false. I am running a WD SN850, so not sure if that is a big factor in this however. :)

Associate
OP
I've also made a few other changes to ensure stability.

I've moved back to the 2802 bios and applied the following with PBO & XMP/DOCP:

SOC = 1.1V
IOD = 0.950V
CCD = 0.950V
DRAM = 1.37V

Seems I have finally achieved some much needed stability (for the moment). Obviously keen to move back to auto defaults with XMP/DOCP + PBO2 when everything settles down. Still watching out for those strange ID7 bad block issues, but will need to wait as these seem to be generated at unexpected moments. I have had one crash, but it was before I enabled XMP and PBO and was with default voltages on the non-beta BIOS, so even the non-beta is not 100% stable.

Associate
I'm on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro F30o BIOS, seems the best for me so far, no stability problems so far!

on all older ones I was getting WHEA errors all the time if my memory was set to anything above had to run at 3200Mhz and 1600Mz FCLK, until this BIOS, now running stable at 3666Mhz and 1833Mhz FCLK

Last edited:
Associate
OP
nice cant wait to see this in action

To be fair, I suspect patch D is really just another beta iteration. I think we still are waiting for the next iteration of the AGESA code, and some suggest that we won't see a proper new BIOS until early January 2021. That means all of us need to get a little bit better with going into the BIOS and playing around with some settings ourselves. :)

Back
Top Bottom