• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950X WHEA Cache Hierarchy Error

Associate
To be fair, I suspect patch D is really just another beta iteration. I think we still are waiting for the next iteration of the AGESA code, and some suggest that we won't see a proper new BIOS until early January 2021. That means all of us need to get a little bit better with going into the BIOS and playing around with some settings ourselves. :)
I think you might be right as there seems to be a lot of reports of Whea errors on many different types of motherboard and bios.

Associate
OP
So....

I have installed the new 3001 Asus bios on my ITX X570 Motherboard.

Initial tests are really promising, although please note that this is the strangest update I have ever had on an Asus board. The bios update itself restarted the machine 3 times to complete various update steps (inc the LED lights firmware).

Please note: Once updated, you will need to reapply PBO via Ryzen Master as the settings won't stick even if they were successfully applied before, so please do re-test and apply PBO if that is something you want.

My own testing shows no WHEA Windows Cache Hierarchy faults, and the machine does not do the strange idle reboots like it did before. XMP/DOCP also seems to work. Scores in Cinebench seem very good once PBO is re-applied (scores over 27K consistently assuming you kill most background programs). Boosts have gone up to 5Ghz, but not quite as good as when I set some voltages manually myself where I was closer to 5.1. CPU temps seem to range between low 50s and high 80s with my current cooler setup, but I am upgrading from a 240mm to a 280mm cooling setup in the next few days so hopefully that will help lower these. I believe AMD when they recommend an AIO for these new chips, although I suspect some of the high end air cooling solutions might also be good enough.

Those of you thinking AMD had messed up big time and that a bad batch of processors were sent out to a lot of customers really need to try these new BIOS that are starting to come out from the board partners, as they honestly seem to work. It was pretty obvious reading between the lines reading all the forums out there that a lot of this seemed to be down to the way voltages and other settings were being handled in the background, rather than fundamental flaws with a chip production batch. Obviously an hour or two of testing is not the end result, but I would say this is a massive step forward as I know the older bios would have had me blue screening in minutes on basic web tasks, let alone anything more creative.

The only thing that is still buggy appears to be the LED Aura settings which don't always survive a reboot. That's an issue that seems to be infected the last 2-3 BIOSes from Asus, and I don't see this as a deal breaker myself, although it would be good if Asus fixed this. it's clear Asus testing team are not always up to the task, but at least the more fundamental issues seem to be resolving themselves.

As always YMMV, so keen to hear what others think about these new BIOS versions and how positive (or negative) your own experiences are. Personally I am now pretty happy with this 5950X based on these updates.

Soldato
I installed the 3001 bios last night and have also had good results, my 3dmark and cinebench scores have improved. I never went passed the 2802 until it came out of beta and pleased i waited now.
Had no idle reboots or strange issues so far and happy to report im stable but no oc of any kind on the 5900x.

Associate
OP
I've had one blue screen although strangely it does not appear in logs. I also suspect it was driver caused rather than to do with this bios, and no WHEAs.

I doubt we are totally out of the woods yet, but I still see this as several steps forward.

Associate
OP
Since the new bios, the bad block errors have gone but I’m now seeing sporadic page fault errors. SFC and Chkdsk comes back clean. Any one else seeing these? Only seem to come up during boot or shutdown, and never during normal use.

The only other issue I am seeing is no sleep mode, despite seeing there being no requests that should stop sleep mode being activated. Monitor also does not switch off despite being set to do so. Any one else seeing this?

Soldato
really? i just swapped over the drives from my intel setup to amd, it booted up fine and only chipset drivers needed to be installed and its working great.
That’s quite risky. Somewhere down the line it might give you some blue screens. But all depend on how long that intel based windows has been up and running.
When I switched from intel to amd, my windows has been running for 6 years. So it needed to be a fresh install as it was just slow and sluggish.

Back
Top Bottom