<£5k Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sorry for another thread, but going mad trying to find something nearby.

I need a car fairly urgently, to replace my lease that goes back next week. New job, so want to get a cheap car for the next 6 months to see me into my new job before looking at a PCP deal etc.

Don't have a huge list of requirements, just not a total rust bucket. Needs to be reliable and comfortable enough for a road trip from Newcastle to Cornwall and back in a week's time, and most of my trips will be short hops between sites at work. I'm thinking for this reason a diesel is probably not right for me.

I onl;y have £4500 to play with, but could stretch to £5500 if necessary. Would rather go trade.

What would you recommend please?

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
At this price point, anything in reasonable condition with a long MOT. Saloons still outperform most smaller cars on the depreciation front but if you want something smaller, Focus isn't a bad shout.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. Just having a bit of a stressy mare, as I need to find something quick. No real requirements, just something that's big enough to chuck my RC helicopters in the boot with the seats down or our camping gear. I would just go for a £1k banger if we weren't commuting down to cornwall. I'm hoping that something around £4k will suffice for 6-12 months and not lose all its value completely allowing for a deposit later on.

It take it diesel would be a bad a idea?

Soldato
OP
being as its Short Term
how about a 1.6 ecoboost Focus for 4.5K ?

long term, then i dont recommend the 1.6 ecoboost
That's canny, but travelling for the car isn't feasible, as I can't take time off work and I have no weekends free before I start the new job. Has to be local to Newcastle :(

Soldato
Not got time to check if pricing is realistic on all of these but:

Ford Focus
VW Golf
Hyundai i30
Toyota Corolla
Skoda Octavia
Skoda Rapid
Vauxhall Astra

You get more refinement with petrol, but modern diesels are generally fine.

Soldato
Don't have a huge list of requirements, just not a total rust bucket. Needs to be reliable and comfortable enough for a road trip from Newcastle to Cornwall and back in a week's time, and most of my trips will be short hops between sites at work. I'm thinking for this reason a diesel is probably not right for me.

Maybe hire a car for your trip so you don't have to rush your purchase decision?

Soldato
OP
Maybe hire a car for your trip so you don't have to rush your purchase decision?
£550 for a week's hire :( But I need one for the new job which starts the day after I return, so I literally need to have something by next week. Been looking for weeks already :(

Soldato
OP
My family have an 08 Focus for about 12 years (and counting) and it's been solid. But £4k for one is insane, pretty sure you can get one for £2-3k.
Probably can, but with 100k+ miles and in poor nick. The used car market is entirely the property of the sellers right now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom