5w30 oils...all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi all,

Oil low light came on car and wife went out to get a top up, all fine until after sticking oil in I notice it is for fords.

Is all 5w30 oils pretty much the same? This is the halfords oil on offer at £10 at present, car is Audi A4 2.0 tdi.

Cheers

Soldato
The oil would have needed to be the right spec for your diesel engine, so you have got the wrong oil in there, but thats better than driving around with the oil light on

Take it somewhere to have the oil changed to put the right stuff in there

Soldato
It needs to be vw507.1 spec or something for audi. You can get it for about £10 / litre from a vag indy.

Out of interest, how much oil would be involved in an oil change for the engine the OP speaking of, If it is £10 a litre, how much oil is involved in a full oil change?

Soldato
Hi all,

Oil low light came on car and wife went out to get a top up, all fine until after sticking oil in I notice it is for fords.

Is all 5w30 oils pretty much the same? This is the halfords oil on offer at £10 at present, car is Audi A4 2.0 tdi.

Cheers

All oils have specifications which must be met for different engines.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...earch&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

You can see Halfords have different versions. If you open up each you will see they meet different standards. VW 504/507 oil is I'm guessing what you need?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_498809_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

Will it matter on a top up? I don't know but others may.

Soldato
But if it's been in there long enough to loose enough to put a warning light on, I'd just change the lot (unless you use oil at an epic rate

Associate
OP - I would suggest checking the oil level at least on a monthly basis for starters.

If the low oil pressure warning light has been coming on then you will have sustained serious internal engine damage. I'm not aware that these cars have "low oil level" sensors.

Soldato
OP - I would suggest checking the oil level at least on a monthly basis for starters.

If the low oil pressure warning light has been coming on then you will have sustained serious internal engine damage. I'm not aware that these cars have "low oil level" sensors.

Yes they do. My54 audi A3 did at least. You get a yellow warning then a red warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom