6 course posh-nosh dinner cooked by chef Adam Handling

Soldato
Just incase you are not sure who Adam Handling is

Handling started his culinary training aged 16 as the first apprentice chef at Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland. He then went on to work in London before heading his first brigade as Sous Chef at the Malmaison Hotel in Newcastle. He then moved back to Scotland to become the Fairmont group's youngest ever Head Chef at the Fairmont St Andrews.

Handling took on the role of Head Chef at St. Ermin’s Hotel in St James’s Park, where he led a team of 22. From there, he entered and became a finalist in Masterchef, the Professionals 2013.

In September 2014, Handling officially opened ‘Restaurant Adam Handling at Caxton’ in Caxton Street SW1, which has won three rosettes award from the AA.One year on from opening restaurant ‘Adam Handling at Caxton’, it won the title of ‘Best newcomer UK restaurant 2015’ in the Food and travel Magazine Awards.

In 2016, Handling started a range of olive oils and sherry vinegar called Olivia available to the hospitality sector.

In June 2016, Handling opened his first independent restaurant, The Frog in Spitalfields, London. www.thefrogrestaurant.com

Last night the menu was:

menu.jpg

First we were served a the snack item.

This consisted of a fried mackrel fishcake, a tomato cone with some form of cream cheese filling, and finally the black item which I was not really sure what that was. But it was seafood related.

snack.jpg

Next up was the Salmon and Peas. This was probs my fave course.
The Salmon was accompanied by a selection of pea puree, frozen (by liquid nitrogen) peas turned into a dust and a whole peas par-boiled and then liquid Nitrogen Frozen whole.

slamon%20and%20peas.jpg

Next up was the Quail. This was a quail breast and leg; seperated on the plate from each other, a soft boiled quails egg in a crispy coasting (cannot recall what was now), mushroom shavings, a mushroom sauce and a mustard type dressing. Serverd with asparagus. The egg was the best part of this dish for sure.

quail%20egg.jpg

Then onto the beef dish. This was some really top quality beef, it just melted in your mouth, it was slightly crisped on the outside, I believe using a blow torch. 2 Sauces were on the plate, however my picture doesn't show them, one was a sour cream type sauce, the other was a beef stock type sauce. There were some crisped onion shells and artichoke with it. The black dusting was his secret special ingredient, but he said that the dust was actual ash which took 2 days to prepare alone.

beef.jpg

Next up was the main dessert course. It was a Mango dish, I'm not a massive fan of mango in general, but the dish was quite nice with some coconut whip on top, the coconut flavour was none existant though (which was good as I don't like coconut flavour)

pud.jpg

We then had cheese and biscuits, I didn't take a photo of that, but it was just simple, a blue cheese, a brie and a soft cheddar with black grapes (seedless) and standard round store purchased biscuits.

Finally we had the Petit fours, they were amazing. We had a macron - fairly standard, a salted caramel boat, that had the perfect amount of salt, a very rich chocolate/fudge cube - highly induldgent for sure and finally the best part was the Turkish Delight - it was quite a sour taste with some sweetness as well, it was the best Turkish Delight I have ever tried.

afterpud.jpg

We finished off with a coffee and the evening was very much enjoyed by myself and my friend.

Soldato
That seems very reasonable for a 6 course meal. One thing though. Ash? He garnished the plate with ash?!

Maybe I'm being clueless here, but since when is ash food?

Soldato
Actually Mr Seabiscuit and I know the moat house well! Got married there haha :D
But yeah their menu`s have changed as we unfortunately found out last year for a 70th birthday meal. Yes it looks fancy but its not filling and its to us at least seems over the top. The ash in the above photo to me just looks awful, as if someone has scraped burnt toast all over it. I find they describe the dishes with words a normal person going for a special meal wouldnt have heard of e.g burnt ash!

Their menu used to be a little saner and more elegant than it is now, to me how they have changed does not fit the setting of the moat house.

Back
Top Bottom