£625m more for the Premiership

Associate

Just listen to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6273617.stm

The winner of football's Premiership will net an extra £50m from next season after the league agreed a new £625m deal for overseas television rights.

Income from the deal means even the team finishing bottom of the pile will claim £30m - about what current title holders Chelsea won last season.

The money adds to income from domestic broadcast and internet contracts.

"This deal really does take us on to another level," league chief Richard Scudamore told the Daily Telegraph.

Overseas appeal

BSkyB and Setanta are sharing the domestic television rights for Premiership matches from next season.

The rivals were successful bidders in an auction to show top-flight games, beginning in the 2007/8 season.

The domestic TV rights auction generated £1.7bn ($3.1bn) for the Premier League, with BSkyB paying £1.3bn for its four packages of games and Setanta £392m for its two.

Setanta broke Sky's monopoly and has rights to 46 live matches a season, while BSkyB has won the rights to 92 live matches, including the "A" package of games on late Sunday afternoons.

The Premiership's appeal overseas has gone from strength to strength, thanks to high-profile players and the league's reputation for excitement.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose said that the big winners of the new deal would be top-flight players and their agents, with supporters and lower league sides unlikely to see any real benefits.

The EPL is already the richest league in the world and this is going to take it up another notch! :eek:

The team finishing at the bottom will pickup what the winners of last year did! Just :eek: simply :eek: staggering! :eek:

Associate
OP
Well, anyone getting relegated is going to suffer an incredible bump, because the gulf between the EPL and the Championship financially is going to get wider. I certainly expect the number of English players to dwindle yet again.

Soldato
Those figures don't sit right with me. Currently the League takes in 1.7bn from domestic rights yet this deal increasing that revenue by only 1/3 is somehow going to nearly treble the amount of money the league winners get along with similarly large increases for all clubs.

That suggests to me that only a small proportion of the money from the domestic rights is gonig to the clubs compared to the money from this deal. So where does the rest of it go?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
kaiowas said:
Those figures don't sit right with me. Currently the League takes in 1.7bn from domestic rights yet this deal increasing that revenue by only 1/3 is somehow going to nearly treble the amount of money the league winners get along with similarly large increases for all clubs.

That suggests to me that only a small proportion of the money from the domestic rights is gonig to the clubs compared to the money from this deal. So where does the rest of it go?

Agents and players mainly.

Soldato
The way the FA and premiership clubs treat the lower league clubs is a disgrace, when barnet got relegated out of the football league we had to ditch our youth academy, at the time we were the only london team outside of the premiership that had one, it wasn't about bringing up great players as only local kids were allowed to join, it was just a community thing.

The shamefull thing is it cost a fraction of your average premiership players wages to run on a yearly basis, yet no help was ever forthcoming, and so hundreds of local kids were told their weekly matches were cancelled from then on.

The only top flight teams i respect are arsenal and spurs, who play their reserve games at barnet and stevenage and in turn give them pre-season friendlies with all the income to the club. David Dein often talks about helping smaller clubs because thats where the roots of the game are.

The FA are only interested in money, they're an obsolete old boys club who have run their course.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
kaiowas said:
I know that's where most of the money from the clubs ends up. It just seems that a large chunk of the money from the domestic deal is going elsewhere before it even gets to the clubs.

Yeah sorry I see what you mean, there is a huge discrepancy between the current and extra income and the proposed outgoings.

It's almost criminal that these kind of figures are getting throw about when there are dozens of clubs further down the chain that rely on a few hundred grand from a decent cup tie to stay afloat.

Soldato
CliffyG said:
They should whip 100 mil out of that and spread it amongst the lower leagues. 50,30,20, respectively.

If only!

Brighton haven't even got their own ground to play in, it's a converted athletics track.

No roof, so when it chucks it down, we all go down with colds :(

True support I say!

Soldato
CliffyG said:
They should whip 100 mil out of that and spread it amongst the lower leagues. 50,30,20, respectively.

I agree, but the clubs will just say, we bring the business in, so we get the dosh, which is they way business works is it not.

As for the staggering amount, if the profit wasn't there, they wouldn't pay it.

Associate
Just to play devils advocate if clubs are relying on cup runs and handouts to survive then they are not being run well. If a club is living outside of its budget its a badly run club. There are plenty of well run clubs in the conference who would quite happily take the place of those clubs who are struggling to stay afloat in the league.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
mcdermos said:
Just to play devils advocate if clubs are relying on cup runs and handouts to survive then they are not being run well. If a club is living outside of its budget its a badly run club. There are plenty of well run clubs in the conference who would quite happily take the place of those clubs who are struggling to stay afloat in the league.

Unfortunately, for a lot of these clubs, there are circumstances out with their control. Things like changes in legislation can double running costs and wipe out asset value almost overnight. Contract SNAFUS, fines, acts of god etc. etc. even very well run clubs are walking a thin line in the lower leagues.

Soldato
Big Kev said:
I agree, but the clubs will just say, we bring the business in, so we get the dosh, which is they way business works is it not.

Partially agreed.

But Premiership clubs do make derisory offers for lower league players mostly, knowing that the financial situation dictates that that £1,000,000 valued player can be snapped up for relative peanuts to enable the lower club to continue till the end of the season.

Soldato
The OP's quote is slightly different from the one I read

Premier League clubs will share around £900million of revenue from next season as a result of increased rights deals.

The League has negotiated new television and media rights around the world, netting £2.7billion over the next three seasons.

The domestic TV deal generated £1.7billion and now the League will get another £625million from overseas rights.

League chief executive Richard Scudamore has negotiated deals covering 208 countries around the world.

Add to that £400million from internet and mobile phone rights, will mean the league earns £900million a year for the next three years.

That amount will be shared among the Premiership clubs, with next season’s champions bagging £50million.

Even the league’s bottom side will get £30million, the equivalent to what Chelsea received for winning the title last season.

The figure will be made up of prize money dependant on league position and each club’s share of television rights money.

“This deal really does take us on to another level,” Scudamore told the Daily Telegraph.

Grass-root levels will also benefit, with £38million going towards new pitches, coaches and facilities as a result of an agreement with the government.

Soldato
Big Kev said:

I know it's never going to happen just think it would be a good idea :).

Back
Top Bottom