660P Real world performance

Soldato
Looking at low queue depth workloads there seems to be very little difference between these drives and the faster nvme drives. Anyone using one for a game drive? Does Intel's software do a good job of maintaining performance as the drive fills up?

Soldato
Looking at low queue depth workloads there seems to be very little difference between these drives and the faster nvme drives. Anyone using one for a game drive? Does Intel's software do a good job of maintaining performance as the drive fills up?

Unless you do something monumentally stupid like trigger a full write, or fill the drive up fully to reduce the SLC cache size, they are as fast and anything else when reading data all the time, if you fill up the write cache in one hit, it will slow down till it clears the cache out - but how many times do you write a few hundred GB in one sitting? For a game drive you’ll notice no difference as the workload is predominantly read based unless that initial copy is huge.

Soldato
OP
Unless you do something monumentally stupid like trigger a full write, or fill the drive up fully to reduce the SLC cache size, they are as fast and anything else when reading data all the time, if you fill up the write cache in one hit, it will slow down till it clears the cache out - but how many times do you write a few hundred GB in one sitting? For a game drive you’ll notice no difference as the workload is predominantly read based unless that initial copy is huge.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I did read somewhere that the cache was 56GB. I rarely if ever copy files of that size. My other thought was why not raid 0 two 1TB drives which is also a lot cheaper for some drives than a single 2TB drive. As a game drive is not like the data is critical and in my experience failure rate of solid state drives is zero.

Back
Top Bottom