• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£700 to spend on a single card solution.

Soldato
I think brands are usually defined on warranty and customer service, so if you want a decent warranty length, then go with a brand with a good warranty and that is also known for good customer service.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys.

Heres my current specs.

I7 930 OC'd to 4Ghz watercooled
6GB OCZ Reaper Ram. Triple Channel
2 Vertex II's Striped.
GTX 280.
28 Inch monitor running at 1920x1200.
Antec 1200 with Antec CP1000 Power supply.

Essentially my GTX 280 has been failing for the past few months to deliver and I think it is time to move on from it. It overheats very easily whilst the rest of the system is running cool.

Essentially I am looking for a single card solution, I play lots of Physx enabled games and benchmarking.

I have £700 to spend, I do NOT want to SLI at this time though I will in the future. I want to have a working life of about 3 years running near to ultra high settings. I will only use one monitor running at 1920X1200. I may start playing games in 3D on my TV at somepoint. I like OVERKILL and ultra smooth gameplay.

Ideas?

I've got a pair of 8800GTX's with your name on it Rob ;) You know you want them :D
Go 6990, then afterwards you'll have more sense than money, rather than your current situ... £700 on a card, dear me :D

Associate
OP
I've got a pair of 8800GTX's with your name on it Rob ;) You know you want them :D
Go 6990, then afterwards you'll have more sense than money, rather than your current situ... £700 on a card, dear me :D

At least my system is not crashing everytime I start up BFBC2 Paul :p

Associate
OP
Just had another thought, I am not really into overclocking gfx cards. one GTX 590 is better then one GTX 580. 2 GTX 590's are better (slightly) then 2 GTX 580's. I know that 3 GTX 580s are definitely better then 2 GTX 590's. But I really dont want to use 3 cards.

If I am not overclocking and dont have future plans for 3 cards (Only 2) Then technically the 590 is a better purchase? The 590s only explode if the card is overclocked right?

Soldato
Just had another thought, I am not really into overclocking gfx cards. one GTX 590 is better then one GTX 580. 2 GTX 590's are better (slightly) then 2 GTX 580's. I know that 3 GTX 580s are definitely better then 2 GTX 590's. But I really dont want to use 3 cards.

If I am not overclocking and dont have future plans for 3 cards (Only 2) Then technically the 590 is a better purchase? The 590s only explode if the card is overclocked right?
We have advised you to stay the hell away from the 590...if you won't take our advise seriously, I don't think anyone would bother much more in trying to help you...

Simply put, no matter what option you should go for, one thing for sure is under no circumstance should 590 be part of the equation.

Last edited:
Permabanned
This thread is too long so I didn't read. If SLI is OK on a single graphics card, then your only choice seems to be a GTX590, which is not a very good choice when you can also go for GTX580 SLI.

Caporegime
I don't advise buying the 590, very poor value for money and quite a bit less performance than the 580 SLI. Your call though. :)

Soldato
Get a reference EVGA GTX 580 with long warranty and spend the rest on watercooling if you need a single-gpu solution or single card and has to be Nvidia.

/thread

Associate
OP
We have advised you to stay the hell away from the 590...if you won't take our advise seriously, I don't think anyone would bother much more in trying to help you...

Simply put, no matter what option you should go for, one thing for sure is under no circumstance should 590 be part of the equation.

No need to get uppity. I am merely sorting out the options. The 590 has only blown its load when overclocked. As far as a single card is concerned, going by just the numbers it has better performance then the 580. I asked for opinions in the first place because I am undecided. The only reason people have given me to stay away from the 590 is because it has a thermal problem when overclocked. I am not going to overclock any graphics card.

I am taking your advice onboard, but I need to make sure the card I go for is the correct one for my needs and not what you consider "best for you"

My needs being, great performance on a single card. Thats the best for my budget.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hey guys.

Heres my current specs.

I7 930 OC'd to 4Ghz watercooled
6GB OCZ Reaper Ram. Triple Channel
2 Vertex II's Striped.
GTX 280.
28 Inch monitor running at 1920x1200.
Antec 1200 with Antec CP1000 Power supply.

Essentially my GTX 280 has been failing for the past few months to deliver and I think it is time to move on from it. It overheats very easily whilst the rest of the system is running cool.

Essentially I am looking for a single card solution, I play lots of Physx enabled games and benchmarking.

I have £700 to spend, I do NOT want to SLI at this time though I will in the future. I want to have a working life of about 3 years running near to ultra high settings. I will only use one monitor running at 1920X1200. I may start playing games in 3D on my TV at somepoint. I like OVERKILL and ultra smooth gameplay.

Ideas?

Save up some more money and buy this:

Log.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Aye, I would go for the 6990 and then chuck water-cooling on it :)

I have a thread linked in my sig if you need any help with water-cooling. I would definitely recommend it to keep the temps and the noise levels down, I love my kit :)

Back
Top Bottom