7200 rpm laptop hdd needed with big capacity

Associate
Hi,

this is not an overclocking question, but i hope someone can give some advice.

my old laptop, which i use for work when i am travelling, is giving up the ghost. i will never buy a hp laptop again (i wish you could build your own laptop same as you can do with a desktop - i will never ever ever buy a brand name desktop!!!!!!!!!! self build is the business).

anyway, i am looking at buying a dell laptop to replace it. i have about 100 gig of data on my desktop at the moment and i'd like to put it all onto the laptop (at the moment my laptop has an 80 gig hdd so i have to leave lots of stuff at home). dells biggest hard drive is 120 gig and it spins at 5400. i'd like something bigger and i want 7200 rpm so i can import and edit video on the laptop.

i see seagate have the momentus 2.5 inch out now, but they don't do the 160 gig version in 7200 rpm. i could get a 100 gig momentus, but i'm still going to be hard pushed for space.

anybody got any suggestions?? maybe a massive hard drive for laptops that i don't know about?

by the way i do have a 200 gig external hard drive but i don't want to have to carry it and connect it every time i need to access data. just thought i'd better mention that external hard drives are not useful for me in this situation.

thanks for reading. i hope someone knows a good way to fix this problem.

Last edited:
Associate
You could buy the Dell with a small 5400HDD, then get a separate 7200rpm drive, then clone the Dell system over to that drive, leaving the original 5400drive as an emergency backup.

Dig around in the Dell and WhatLaptop forums and you may learn about other options. When I bought my Dell lappy a couple of years ago, I was offered a 80GB 5400 rpm drive but from reading in forums it turned out that there was a smaller 60GB 7200rpm drive available. This is what I went for in the end - but I needed to quote the part number direct to the sales guy.

The advantage of the 7200rpm drive is very noticable. :)

Seagate and Hitachi make 7200rpm laptop drives. I have installed these into laptops a number of times. ;) (Beware of the extra heat though...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom