74GB Raptors (RAID 0, 8MB cache) to 150GB - much difference?

Soldato
As I'm upgrading my PC I've been toying with the idea of upgrading my Raptors to the latest ones with 16MB cache and NCQ.

I currently run 2 x 74GB WD740GD Raptors in RAID 0, and I don't really use all of the space available on them (as I only use them for Windows, games and applications).

I was wondering whether there was any tangible benefit in buying 2 x 150GB Raptors and sticking them in RAID 0? Or perhaps just buying one and having it standalone (would this be much slower than the 2 x 74GB RAID 0)?

I wouldn't have any real use for 300GB of Raptor space, as I probably only use about 60% (if that) of the 148GB available on my current setup.

Would be interested in hearing some thoughts! :)

EDIT: The other option I've thought about is getting a dedicated RAID card like the Areca, and using my existing 74GB drives to their full potential. Given the cost of this would probably be about £300 - it would be roughly the same as buying 2 x 150GB Raptors

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
oxygene said:
The 150s should be a similar speed to the 74s. If you wont use the space dont buy em! Spend your £££ on something else
Cheers. :)

I guess at the end of the day we're talking about a few seconds difference here and there, and whether that really is worth shelling out £300+

Back
Top Bottom