• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7600 vs 4060?

Soldato
So I'm thinking about updating my SFF PC. But being a SFF PC it has a few limiting factors.
First off is the CPU cooler clearance. It's a Silverstone ML08 case which list the CPU clearance as 58mm (I've not measured it to check). This makes cooling a CPU quite challenging and thus limits the CPU. I currently have a Ryzen 3 1400 and I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to a 5500 or 5600 (not sure what the 5600X offers other than a small clockspeed boost) and hoping I can cool that.
The other limiting factor is that it only has a 450W PSU, which seemed reasonable at the time.

So with these limits in mind, what cheap-ish GPU would I be best going for? (currently running a Nvidia 1070)
With a 5600 it doesn't seem worth overspeccing a GPU and the PSU limits that anyway. So the two cheapest current gen GPUs are the Nvidia 4060 and AMD 7600. Unlike at other price points it seems the VRAM amount is equal here, otherwise I might have been swayed by the highest. I think the 4060 is the most power efficient (out of the box), so that seems tempting, but which is the best? A quick Google seemed inconclusive.
Is it worth considering the 7600XT/7700XT/4060Ti or are they not worth it at those price points? Or are they a bit power hungry and likely to cause issues that way? (It seems like the 7600XT and 4060Ti recommend a 450W PSU, the 7700XT recommends 550W)

They're both not great cards with too high prices, but for the use case I'd get the 4060 due to the lower power use.

The 4060 Ti is poorly priced and barely improved on the 3060 Ti and the 7600 XT has much higher power consumption than the 4060.

The 7700 XT is probably not practical due to their large size.

Back
Top Bottom