• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900 Collated Reviews Thread

Associate
It's an interesting set of benchmarks. I speak about as much French as I do Chinese, so as this review is about graphics cards rather than bars or brothels, I've got no idea what it says. That said, if I understand the graphs correctly I think I’m going to be going down the 7800gt SLi route rather than selling my current one and getting either a 7900 or an X1900.

Associate
OP
roadie said:
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/g71-part1.shtml

Russian review. 7600GT is 128bit, not 256bit.

Not bad review. It seems in the tests that they used the XTX is faster than the GTX and the x1800xt is faster than the 7900GT. Hopefully other sites will test more than just hte common games so we can get an round better picture. The 7600GT and X1800GTO both look like cracking cards, the 7600GT especially.

I also noticed that both the GT and GTX run at 1.3v so either, the GT is very overclockable or nvidia have been doing some serious binning.

Associate
www.anandtech.com
The bottom line here is that it all comes down to price. With the close competition at the high end, we still really don't recommend the X1900 XTX which generally comes in between $580 and $650. In order for the 7900 GTX to really look good compared to the X1900 XT, we will have to push below the $500 mark. NVIDIA has positioned the 7900 GTX as a $500 part, but we can already find X1900 XT cards for about $475; with the tight competition, we would really like to see NVIDIA take advantage of their cost saving die sizes and bring prices down.

The NVIDIA solutions use less power, generate less heat, and are cheaper to produce. But what matters in the end is the performance the end user gets for the price he or she pays. Yes, the 7900 GTX performs on par with the X1900 XT and XTX. But with ATI's additional features, will NVIDIA's street prices be low enough to entice gamers? We'll have to wait and see.

So it's as we expected, the 7900 series is cheap and mass produced. The card offers no real persuasive arguments to warrent purchasing it over the x1900.

In essence, what we have in the 7900 is a 1900 without the "IQ"

kbc

kbc

Associate
At last, we can now see an Anandtech viewpoint. :)

Hmm.... Seems the X1900XT is on par with the GeForce 7900GTX?

Associate
OP
Quality Settings?

From the Legit Reviews article it says

"Please note that for all tests, excluding 3D Mark 2006, Nvidia image quality settings were set from "Quality" to "High Quality." ATI image quality settings were left at "High Quality" with "High Quality Anisotropic Filtering" enabled in Catalyst Control Panel."

Does that mean all the other site which didn't mention the quality setting used default, and therefore used HQ for the ATi cards and only quality for the nvidia cards?

To those with x1900s, is High Quality the default in CCC?

Soldato
pieman109 said:
I tend to agree there, looks like choice will be down to price/deals/bundles, etc.

Agreed, there is so little difference between *** top end cards that it comes down (For me at least if I was looking to upgrade) to price / availability / offers etc.

I am very happy with my X1800XT 512 and I have no reason to look to upgrade.

Although on that guru3d review the little 7600GT looks mightily impressive indeed!

Soldato
I think for single card users running at 1920x1200+, the choice is still pretty obvious, the X1900XTX is the card to go for. SLI/X-Fire is not so clear cut imo. Until (if?) ATI can get X-fire up to SLI efficiency levels, there is a very good argument to go for 7900GTX's SLI'd for the power user.

Back
Top Bottom