• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
To give a bit opf a flip-side to this I've also been doing this for 25yrs+ and just this past Windows 11 install must have installed and used approx 15+ cards this last 18 months from both sides and not had an issue whatsoever. I'm not saying that this won't help you, but if you do it right you shouldn't have an issue.
I think, for me personally anyways, its also just a "peace of mind" thing, I sleep better knowing its certainly not a driver issue because of some conflict. And also, when you DO have an issue, you KNOW its not as a result of not doing a fresh install, and makes like easier in narrowing down the real cause.

Soldato
Not convinced on the BIOS thing either.

In my experience it will work or just not be recognised.

I have had to update the BIOS to get a card working but that was because, at the time, my board was PCIE 2 and the card was PCIE 3.

I've never heard of or read about a card "working but very badly" because of an incompatible bios version.

Soldato
To give a bit opf a flip-side to this I've also been doing this for 25yrs+ and just this past Windows 11 install must have installed and used approx 15+ cards this last 18 months from both sides and not had an issue whatsoever. I'm not saying that this won't help you, but if you do it right you shouldn't have an issue.

I would also caveat that it is almost impossible for it to go as wrong as it has for @NOQ, even if just switching vendors without uninstalling drivers. That GPU NOQ got is faulty in my opinion.

I have in the past tested an AMD GPU by just taking out my current Nvidia GPU and installing the AMD one. No driver uninstalls, just plugged in and installed Catalyst drivers, tested working and played a few games and removed it.

This was in response to me selling my old AMD GPU to a friend and he said it was faulty. He brought it to my home instead of asking me to go take a look at it at his home.

Soldato
It’s plain faulty. If it does it in bios. Send it back. Under UK law you have 14 days to return it with no questions.

Yup that's my plan of action as well for returning as well.

Whilst I'm sure under an RMA return, it would get tested, found faulty etc, I've heard plenty of stories of people receiving other RMA stock etc rather than brand new replacement items, or receive things "repaired" but then you gotta question that. I guess maybe not so much with graphics cards as you can easily repair those.

Or if there is the very odd 1% chance there is some really weird incompatibly issue, you are then in the position of replacing other components, with no guarantee of success.

But in any case, the 14 day thing is an "out" and an expensive GPU not working is too much of a risk to do anything but return it for a refund and just walk away.

You can always buy another one later down the line.

Soldato
It’s plain faulty. If it does it in bios. Send it back. Under UK law you have 14 days to return it with no questions.

Just for reference, that's DSR rules and contrary to popular opinion, questions can indeed be asked because the buyer is liable for any loss of value to the item being returned. DSR should not be confused with the RMA warranty returns process for faulty items.

In this case NOQs GPU is inside the 14 day DSR rules AND is covered under the OCUK <30 days faulty returns process.

Soldato
Just for reference, that's DSR rules and contrary to popular opinion, questions can indeed be asked because the buyer is liable for any loss of value to the item being returned. DSR should not be confused with the RMA warranty returns process for faulty items.

In this case NOQs GPU is inside the 14 day DSR rules AND is covered under the OCUK <30 days faulty returns process.

Have you got a link to that 30 day thing?

I'd also be interested in if OCUK would start trying to argue a reduction in value if you DSR'd a card that was clearly faulty, and even if it wasn't, to be able to test it to decide you don't like it, you have to open the box, open the little packet with the screws and bracket etc.

Obviously you return all of that stuff, but there is no way you can test it otherwise.

Soldato
Yup that's my plan of action as well for returning as well.

Whilst I'm sure under an RMA return, it would get tested, found faulty etc, I've heard plenty of stories of people receiving other RMA stock etc rather than brand new replacement items, or receive things "repaired" but then you gotta question that. I guess maybe not so much with graphics cards as you can easily repair those.

Or if there is the very odd 1% chance there is some really weird incompatibly issue, you are then in the position of replacing other components, with no guarantee of success.

But in any case, the 14 day thing is an "out" and an expensive GPU not working is too much of a risk to do anything but return it for a refund and just walk away.

You can always buy another one later down the line.

It's your choice of course but please stop with the FUD. I worked in IT including retail for a very long time and even the worst places I worked for would not replace a faulty item with another potentially faulty item. You might get a used one for a verified working used one but more often that not, that is because the RMA testing team have opened a new item to test before returning it. This is a good thing.

Soldato
It's your choice of course but please stop with the FUD. I worked in IT including retail for a very long time and even the worst places I worked for would not replace a faulty item with another potentially faulty item. You might get a used one for a verified working used one but more often that not, that is because the RMA testing team have opened a new item to test before returning it. This is a good thing.

Yea but, I have been a victim of really shady practice, so it does happen.

And taking legal action is just a bloody nightmare, even when you win, you think if the whole experience was worth it.

Unfortunately when things like this happen to you it makes you cynical and very defensive off the bat, so you will go in hard with any possible legal "out" you can use.

NOQ

NOQ

Associate
OP
The card has a faulty vram module/modules as shown by the artifacts he gets on boot up. No amount BIOS tweaking, driver updates or clean windows installations is going to fix that, just send back for a replacement.
This! This might be it because when turning up the graphics even at 1440p I would get crashes in Borderlands 3/Far Cry 6 about the data being lost or something similar. If I kept the ram usage around 2-3GB I would get less crashes. I think you've hit the nail on the head with it being a vram issue.

NOQ

NOQ

Associate
OP
@OP, just as a rule of thumb from experience over the last 25 years of building PCs, I am not sure from GPU you are coming from, and its likely your card is faulty, however, when I install a totally new GPU especially from a new manufacturer or series of card, I always do it after a fresh Windows install. Its the only way to be sure of a clean install and no driver issues, crashing or stuttering from conflicting drivers. Its just good practice, its a pain, but how often do we really need to do it?, worth it to avoid all the hassle and pain.
Great shout. It is the only thing I didn't do. I've never heard of doing that before for a peripheral but have been considering a fresh OS install if I upgrade to Windows 11. Sapphire 480 was my previous card. I only game on my pc so I'm ruling out malware or viruses being the cause too.

Soldato
Yea but, I have been a victim of really shady practice, so it does happen.

And taking legal action is just a bloody nightmare, even when you win, you think if the whole experience was worth it.

Unfortunately when things like this happen to you it makes you cynical and very defensive off the bat, so you will go in hard with any possible legal "out" you can use.

I get your reasons and am not dismissing them, I am just correcting some of the wrong info that some (not just you) have been posting in relation to RMA/DSR rules. Though bear in mind this is not some shady unknown internet outfit, this is Overclockers and I have yet to read of any reports of such behaviour here. You got a faulty GPU and decided to refund instead of replace because you have a previous bad experience with faulty goods, we all have those I bet but I have always had a good experience with RMA faults from OCUK.

Here is the OCUK returns page with the DSR and 30 day acceptance processes outlined.

You are liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods. For example, if it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop. We will deduct this amount from the value of the refund.

DSR is only applicable for acceptable testing and does not cover some muppet who damaged or threw away the packaging, or even caused cosmetic damage to the item. So if someone returns their "unwanted" item with cosmetic damage that was obviously caused by them, or in a jiffy bag with no original packaging. Then the seller has the right to refuse the DSR, or deduct any diminished value from the refund. I didn't even remove the clear plastic protective stickers on the cooler shroud before testing my 7900 XT Pulse.

Note: I am not saying you are doing this, just pointing out the fallacy that the 14 day DSR laws are "no questions asked". This is not eBay and both parties have rights and responsibilities under the law.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great shout. It is the only thing I didn't do. I've never heard of doing that before for a peripheral but have been considering a fresh OS install if I upgrade to Windows 11. Sapphire 480 was my previous card. I only game on my pc so I'm ruling out malware or viruses being the cause too.

If you want to do that then go ahead but it's going to be a waste of time imo. If the card is artifacting in BIOS and at POST then it's clearly faulty as Windows has no effect on the card at this stage. If you haven't done already you could try and different DP or HDMI cable but it does look like faulty RAM to me.

Either return for a replacement or refund :)

Last edited:
Soldato
@ICDP

Thanks, I read the 14 day DSR part previously but not the 30 day thing, I guess this is something OCUK offer outside of requirements which is good to know.

I'm sure OCUK will sort this out, I've used OCUK for years, bought a whole build around 2008, and onwards, bit more over last 2-3 years, but never had to return anything so I guess you never know, my recent bad experience and following legal battle that I did eventually win has made me pretty defensive, I should just stop stressing.

Soldato
So that's how we end up with faulty opened box items. People can't be bothered to use the right return process.

For clarity, are you saying this happens at OCUK, or is this regarding other vendors? It is worth clarifying because it comes across as accusing OCUK of this practice.

It is normal practice in any decent PC hardware supplier that any returned and opened DSR items (faulty or not) are fully tested before being put back in to stock. It's just simple preventative action to reduce potential issues and negative perceptions of your company. It is also just quicker and easier to do than not.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree. However it will not solve your problem. If it’s doing it in bios this is at a low level of communication with your motherboard. It’s bricked the end. No amount of faffing in windows will fix it.

Last edited:
Associate
Make no mistake, its very likely faulty, especially with artefacts on screen. What I mention about doing a fresh install windows is just good practice and something I personally advocate for.

Back
Top Bottom