• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7920X CPU going into safe mode

Associate
PC going in to safe mode all the time

bought 2 new motherboards, both motherboards are new 100%, yet exactly the same situation when CPU is installed, it goes into safe mode.

2 new SSD's

Double checked GPU and 32gb Memory on my X99 system works perfect

Built PC on a cardbox box, as soon a PC is started up it goes in to safe mode all the time

all the components installed in my X99 system and works perfectly

I have checked everything.

Is it possible that a CPU can go faulty?

NO overclocking done, totally confused

Associate
OP
Are the bios's up to date on these boards? and when you say safe mode do you mean in windows safe mode?
yes windows safe mode

was using pc for 3 weeks no issues

suddenly constant safe mode issues on 2 new motherboards

so will make a claim on home contents covers as accidental damage, would have gone for a i9 9900k but i have 2 X299 motherboards

Ive done everything, and it points to a faulty cpu, but i cant imagine why a cpu would go faulty

I did oc the cpu to 4.5ghz, didnt touch voltage, but thats not a reason to get a cpu faulty

Associate
Tbh overclocking a cpu on 'AUTO' volts is a very easy way to damage a cpu especially unchecked system agent voltages combined with XPM + overclocked cpu.

Gamers Nexus :-

"When we talk damage with parts, we’re talking long-term degradation. Some easy examples would be the System Agent voltage for Intel CPUs (VCCSA); increasing VCCSA to, for example, 1.4V is inadvisable for modern platforms, and will inevitably damage the IMC. For AMD, we might instead talk about SOC voltage – that’s our topic today. Increasing SOC voltage beyond recommended settings, discussed below, would have the effect of damaging the IMC and the APU GFX component’s overclocking ability.

Over time, a degrading IMC may require more voltage to keep the same memory/GFX frequencies, or it might just lose that frequency altogether, forcing the user to downclock. Outright failure doesn’t happen at voltages close to reason, but will instead manifest over a period of months."

Soldato
so will make a claim on home contents covers as accidental damage, would have gone for a i9 9900k but i have 2 X299 motherboards

If its only 3 weeks old, RMA it, your home insurance won't usually cover this and even if you did claim, you'd end up paying an excess + get loadings on all insurances for the next x years that ask about claims. Also windows safe mode is most likely a windows issue, run a memory test, same with CPU and then reinstall windows.

Associate
OP
I can't see how a faulty cpu would put it into windows safe mode.

I would start by testing everything. Ram, all storage, gpu, fresh install of windows

honestly i have checked every crucial component, ram, m.2, works perfect on my x99 set up

checked gpu, works perfect on my x99 system

ssd again perfect

bought 2 motherboards each having the exact same fault, windows on safe mode fresh install, black dots all over the screen

even built the pc with nothing connected other than the m.2 mobo gpu and ram, x299 jumps into safe mode immediately, also i get a message on my asus x299 board around a failed overclock

anyways i had to take the jump and get a new x299 cpu , will no for sure.

Associate
OP
If its only 3 weeks old, RMA it, your home insurance won't usually cover this and even if you did claim, you'd end up paying an excess + get loadings on all insurances for the next x years that ask about claims. Also windows safe mode is most likely a windows issue, run a memory test, same with CPU and then reinstall windows.
cannot rma it because its a oem chip, cannot return as paypal rejected my claim as i didn't inform them immediate

thats why ive gone for a retail chip

an i9 degrading just coz i went to 4.0 without a voltage increase shouldnt destroy the chip right.......

Associate
OP
yes you are right, theres a £100 excess and the damaged chip is classed a accidental damage by myself, if i claim that will increase my contents premiums, intel wont honour rma on oem's

damn thats a a lot of cash down the drain

I will search for a trust worthy person on OCUK so some one can check the chip for me as a favour? i will include paid return postage

Soldato
OEM is 12 months minimum, off the top of my head EU law generally mandates a minimum of two years anyway. Have you reinstalled windows?

Soldato
Maybe a long shot but what os are you using? Windows 10?

Have you done a os re install since the issue started?

Could always try this.

Hold the windows key and press R, when the run box comes up type msconfig and make sure the safe boot option is not ticked under the boot tab otherwise the pc will boot in safe mode each time. Once ticked removed reboot the pc

Associate
OP
thats a load of crap.

paypal give you 65days, and oem CPU's hold 1 or 2 year warranty
what shop did you buy from or was it ebay?

hi

Paypal refused my not as described claim in 4 hours, only had the CPU for exactly 3 weeks and 11 days, CPU used for 2 weeks at most,seller does not respond either, i thought there was a 180 day protection policy but they said thats for non delivery

what a waste of 700 quid,

I looked at the OEM warranty on intel and it states they dont look after oem chips

Was so angry I bought a retail chip from ocuk for £900 on my credit card so now ive got credit card protection and retail protection

i will never buy electronics from ebay/paypal anymore

Associate
OP
Maybe a long shot but what os are you using? Windows 10?

Have you done a os re install since the issue started?

Could always try this.

Hold the windows key and press R, when the run box comes up type msconfig and make sure the safe boot option is not ticked under the boot tab otherwise the pc will boot in safe mode each time. Once ticked removed reboot the pc

yes did that, not ticked on safe mode boot

Soldato
its a weird issue for sure, i've never heard of this before tbh, i have the 7900x with windows 10 and evrythings good, stock speed and overclocked, when your pc boots into safe mode can you see what your core temps are like, see if every core is being detected within windows and make sure all vid (core volatges) are being shown, if one ore more are missing you may have a damaged cpu.
i have a 7740x which i would be willing to send to you to see if the safe boot option goes away, if so your 7920x is broke, but i hope not.
tbh if you've used 2 new mobo's it's not looking at all good for the cpu, just to check your using x299 mobo's to test the 7920x and not x99?

if you would like me to send you my spare 7740x pm me here and i can drop you my personal email to continue.

edit

also you mention above you did overclock the cpu but left cpu core volatge on auto, just had a quick look online at oc guides, auto volts for a oc is not good practice and is the easist way to kill a chip, ppl have had their chips i lookd at between 4.5-4.8ghz with voltages set between 1.2v and 1.355v respectivly, during your oc run did you note what kind of voltage was being supplied to the chip?
if it was north of 1.4v+ thats going to kill something very fast

Last edited:
Soldato
The one year my be with ocuk... and not Intel. I know I Am holds 12months warranty but as said I my be thinking of the retailer and not Intel

Irrespective of anything, legally your warranty is always with the company you purchase from under UK law, that’s who you formed a contract with, the manufacturer may well handle the ultimate replacement or repair, but that’s up to OCUK/intel to worry about.

Permabanned
Irrespective of anything, legally your warranty is always with the company you purchase from under UK law, that’s who you formed a contract with, the manufacturer may well handle the ultimate replacement or repair, but that’s up to OCUK/intel to worry about.

what i mean is, if you buy an OEM HDD, seagate(random picked) will not touch it with warranty. but i know ocuk sell oem cpu's and list them as having 1 year warranty. in my first post i said "OEM" CPU's have 1 year warranty, in the post you quoted i was correcting myself and saying i think the warranty may be offered by OCUK and may have nothing to do with intel.

legally your warranty is always with the company you purchase from under UK law
only the first 12 months, anything after this is with the manufacturer should the choose to offer more

Back
Top Bottom