• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950x high occasional spikes in 3dmark

Soldato
I figure this is probably the better subforum to post this in (if it's better in overclocking could a kind mod move it there!)

3dmark CPU spike by Tom ., on Flickr

I have a question I hope someone can give input on - I'm running a 7950x, crudely overclocked atm with +100mhz on boost clock and -10 all core PBO, with a GTX4090 both watercooled. In 3d Mark Time Spy I'll occasionally will get a run with a blip/spike of 6.2-6.6ish GHz CPU frequency usually on the CPU test, but most timespy runs stay at around 5.7-5.8Ghz cpu frequency. Excuse my ignorance, but is this likely due to a very good core that occasionally gets used for the CPU test, or usual occasional 7950x behaviour from the frequency and voltage adjustment? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Associate
nah, must be a measuring error, 6.6GHz is way higher than Zen 4 can boost
use hwinfo64 to confirm there are no actual spikes

from memory, if official boost clock of 7950x is 5.7Ghz, it has additional 100-150Mhz headroom from AMD, and then you added 100MHz more to that headroom, so max possible clocks at any time should not exceed either 5.9 or 5.95 GHz

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
nah, must be a measuring error, 6.6GHz is way higher than Zen 4 can boost
use hwinfo64 to confirm there are no actual spikes

from memory, if official boost clock of 7950x is 5.7Ghz, it has additional 100-150Mhz headroom from AMD, and then you added 100MHz more to that headroom, so max possible clocks at any time should not exceed either 5.9 or 5.95 GHz
I'd seen similar with HWINFO64 when gaming previously - had shown core0 max clock of 6.51GHz, though no idea whether just momentarily or potentially an error. Cinebench results were pretty much exactly what was expected single and multithreaded for stock 7950x.

Back
Top Bottom