• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950X3D / ASUS X670E-A - PBO Doesnt seem to work?

Associate
Hi All,

Finished upgrading from my 5800x / MSI B550M Mortar combo to a 7950X3D and Asus X670E-A - The difference is a lot more than I was expecting, especially in games!

Now its all up and running (basic setup, EXPO I set up in BIOS running 32gb DDR5 6400 CL32 - No problems with booting at all) - I decided to enable PBO and was then going to tune the CO for each core, however, even though in Ryzen master its showing max boost of 5900 mhz on the Freq caores, it never actually gets there, stays at 5750 in HWMonitor.

I've tried changing PBO in both the Main ASUS menu and also the "AMD Overclocking" menu (for some reason the same settings are listed twice in two different areas) under advanced in the BIOS.

Any ideas?, I did read that PBO wont work unless you have CO set also, so set a quick "all core" -10 - Fully watercooled system (7900XTX, 2 x 360mm rads) CPU temp doesnt go higher than 71oC in stress tests.

Any insight would be welcome.

Associate
OP
Didn’t think PBO works with 3D chips, only CO. I could be wrong.
From the Youtube videos i've watched (e.g Scatterbench) enabling PBO increases it for the frequency half of the chip only - maybe they disabled that :/ - Suppose that stops me thinking about de-lidding and direct die watercooling - no point at all if thats the case!

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you enable PBO on a X3D dual CCD 7000 part, only the curve optimiser function of PBO will apply to the cache CCD. However, the other options (power limits, scalar, Auto OC) apply to the frequency CCD. The power limit of the X3D will top out at around 165W or thereabouts regardless of how high the board allows you to set it.

A good starting place will be PBO enabled and Auto OC +100Mhz. Auto OC will definitely give you higher clock frequency on the frequency CCD, so set it as high as you can.

+200 is the preferred value, if stable. However, some cores may fail certain stress tests (AVX2 OCCT as an example) with +200Mhz. So if that happens you may need to add some positive curve optimiser to one or more cores.

It will typically be your highest rated cores on the frequency CCD, as these boost the highest out of the box. So adding +100/+200Mhz onto these can cause failures in these apps.

Note, although it says +100/200Mhz, it won't actually be that high for the most part. Nonetheless if you monitor effective clock speeds via HWINFO64, you should see higher averages when running stress test apps with a higher Auto OC (+25/50/75/100 etc) enabled.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you enable PBO on a X3D dual CCD 7000 part, only the curve optimiser function of PBO will apply to the cache CCD. However, the other options (power limits, scalar, Auto OC) apply to the frequency CCD. The power limit of the X3D will top out at around 165W or thereabouts regardless of how high the board allows you to set it.

A good starting place will be PBO enabled and Auto OC +100Mhz. Auto OC will definitely give you higher clock frequency on the frequency CCD, so set it as high as you can.

+200 is the preferred value, if stable. However, some cores may fail certain stress tests (AVX2 OCCT as an example) with +200Mhz. So if that happens you may need to add some positive curve optimiser to one or more cores.

It will typically be your highest rated cores on the frequency CCD, as these boost the highest out of the box. So adding +100/+200Mhz onto these can cause failures in these apps.

Note, although it says +100/200Mhz, it won't actually be that high for the most part. Nonetheless if you monitor effective clock speeds via HWINFO64, you should see higher averages when running stress test apps with a higher Auto OC (+25/50/75/100 etc) enabled.
Yep, this is how I've read it should work (and how it's worked on my previous Ryzen PCs) , however it isn't doing that, always sticks at 5750 as max boost on the frequency cores, whether that is +25 or +200 - it's like the board simply isn't applying it. I mean, it's not a problem at all, it's plenty fast enough, and I'm simply being greedy.

I shall probably focus on some RAM timings instead!

Last edited:
Soldato
What I found on my ASUS X670e Gene is if you set PBO in both the tweaker menu and the AMD overclocking menu, the chip doesnt seem to know what to do, so it just defaults, I just set it to auto in the AMD overclocking menu and then set everything up in the tweaker menu, this worked fine for both my 7900X3D and my 7900.

Associate
OP
What I found on my ASUS X670e Gene is if you set PBO in both the tweaker menu and the AMD overclocking menu, the chip doesnt seem to know what to do, so it just defaults, I just set it to auto in the AMD overclocking menu and then set everything up in the tweaker menu, this worked fine for both my 7900X3D and my 7900.
Yea, that's the way it worked on my msi board with a 5800x - sadly it doesn't seem to work on this Asus board with this chip, I've just tuned the Co briefly, and changed a setting in the Bios to use the "driver" for core parking as it was always using the cache ccd in windows - the options were Frequency, cache, auto and driver - presume "auto" was simply telling it to use the cache for everything (seemed to be doing in ryzen master - freq ccd was always parked) - there's a fair amount of little foibles on this platform, but learning more every time I nip into the Bios :)

Soldato
Yea, that's the way it worked on my msi board with a 5800x - sadly it doesn't seem to work on this Asus board with this chip, I've just tuned the Co briefly, and changed a setting in the Bios to use the "driver" for core parking as it was always using the cache ccd in windows - the options were Frequency, cache, auto and driver - presume "auto" was simply telling it to use the cache for everything (seemed to be doing in ryzen master - freq ccd was always parked) - there's a fair amount of little foibles on this platform, but learning more every time I nip into the Bios :)
Use the correct one in this folder for your power profile and disable that use driver setting in the bios, this works brilliantly, im not the creator, but he fixed core parking and somehow managed to allow cores to boost slightly higher, im using AMD Ryzen™ [Zen4-3D-2CCD] Ultimate HighPower 11-v5-Backup-2023.29.5-16.43.43 on my 7900X3D, ive not tried any of the others as im very happy with that one.

This is whats in that zip file:

to install, open CMD as administrator, type powercfg -import {c:\location\filename.pow} then just go to your power settings in control panel and enable it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think I was on this one, tend not to bother if whatever game I'm playing hits 120fps @4k - think this was just a run to see cpu score
I see you get a much higher graphics score than me, here's mine...

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/46741412

Says your GPU clock frequency is 2,789 MHz whereas mines at 2,507 MHz that is probably why. I guess yours runs at higher clocks at stock, yours is the Sapphire mines an MSI.

Associate
OP
I see you get a much higher graphics score than me, here's mine...

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/46741412

Says your GPU clock frequency is 2,789 MHz whereas mines at 2,507 MHz that is probably why. I guess yours runs at higher clocks at stock, yours is the Sapphire mines an MSI.
Aye, probably temps to be honest, ive had the 7900XTX since launch (used to have it paired with a 5800X / MSI B550m mortar / 32gb DDR4 4000 (downclocked to 3600mhz CL13 i believe) - Sapphire pulse model but its fully waterblocked - the whole system :) - I don't tend to tinker as much as i used to - Happy with the system now other than the RAM timings, but i'll get to that.

Associate
OP
Use the correct one in this folder for your power profile and disable that use driver setting in the bios, this works brilliantly, im not the creator, but he fixed core parking and somehow managed to allow cores to boost slightly higher, im using AMD Ryzen™ [Zen4-3D-2CCD] Ultimate HighPower 11-v5-Backup-2023.29.5-16.43.43 on my 7900X3D, ive not tried any of the others as im very happy with that one.

This is whats in that zip file:

to install, open CMD as administrator, type powercfg -import {c:\location\filename.pow} then just go to your power settings in control panel and enable it.
Reset my BIOS and set it all back up how i wanted it, tried the above but it didnt perform as well for me as having "Driver" selected in the BIOS - with this setting, I believe it stops the motherboard messing with the core parking and hands it off to the OS, I think given the improvements in the new AMD chipset driver and the Game Bar, this setting was in the BIOS BEFORE these tweaks were made, so might have been necessary - the OS handles it much better now and im seeing big improvements. In windows general use it uses the Freqency cores a whole lot more than it did on "Auto" - however, just finished the new "Alone in the Dark" and started Horizon Forbidden West - Using the Cache cores perfectly on both of them too - Happy with that - other than a few little niggles, its performing lovely now - Just the 6400mhz RAM timings to sort now, see what I can get out of them, already running FCLK 2133 happily so RAM is next!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom