• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 CF vs 780Ti (plus SLI)

Soldato
Because derp.

Nobody really cares, we all call different things and have different understandings of the revisions and generations.

NVIDIA and AMD don't help themselves with their naming conventions, they're as bad as Intel/AMD CPU's. I'm not even sure if their marketing guys know how they work!

Soldato
Also you said it yourself in September 2013 a new revision was born - how can a new revision of an existing product be considered a new generation?

Make your mind up, or at least if you are going to try and start an argument on a relatively argumentative free thread, then try not argue against your own argument.

lol calm down. I am not starting an argument, Just pointing out that the performances between the stock 7970 and the 780ti isn't all that great for nearly 2 years difference. If you had done benchmarks with between an overclocked 290x and a 7970 I would be saying the same thing.

New generation? I said third generation Kepler. The 680 is the first, the titan and 780 are the second. There are significant hardware and software changes between the first 780 and 780ti. There are more differences between the 780Ti and 780 then there are between 680 and 770 and the 770 is considered second generation Kepler.

So why is the 780Ti not considered third generation Kepler?

Soldato
It does match the stock non ghz 7970 in Crossfire - checkthe Heaven 4 results which are completely GPU dependant.

It does fall short in the other benches, but only by a maximum of 22% which is pretty decent in a single generational leap.

Admittedly, there was a revision of the 7970 (Ghz Edition), but since I didn't own Ghz Edition cards I couldn't bench them. I could have run my cards at Ghz speeds obviously, but my tests were simply about out of the box performance between the cards I owned previously and their replacements.

Relax, I am not giving out about your benchmarks. They are fine and very informative because it's rare for someone to do these. And benchmarks between newer and older cards can sometimes be hard to find.

But, I am not arguing with anyone, I am stating my opinion that the benchmarks show that there isn't that big of leap in performance after nearly two years. And I didn't think me and Heisenberg were arguing anyway. He stated his piece and I stated mine. It's just debate. No fanboy talk, no heated exchanges, nothing like that at all.

Soldato
OP
Relax, I am not giving out about your benchmarks. They are fine and very informative because it's rare for someone to do these. And benchmarks between newer and older cards can sometimes be hard to find.

But, I am not arguing with anyone, I am stating my opinion that the benchmarks show that there isn't that big of leap in performance after nearly two years. And I didn't think me and Heisenberg were arguing anyway. He stated his piece and I stated mine. It's just debate. No fanboy talk, no heated exchanges, nothing like that at all.

Couldn't be more relaxed mate, sitting with feet up, can of fosters in hand, watching Mexico vs Cameroon waiting on the mrs making me some Nando's chicken! Lol

The point that Heisenberg was simply making I think is that the 7970 (including the Ghz revision) were the flagship cards of the previous generation, with the 290's being their flagship replacement. Similar to the 680 being Nvidia's flagship, being replaced by the 780 and later by the Ti. The Titan cards being on another tier I would say. I would say a 55 - 85% improvement, depending on game is a pretty good improvement regardless of it being 2 years+ from the 7970's release. We are still on 28nm, so unless you create massive, massive power hungry chips then expecting 100% gains in a generation is pretty hopeful I would suggest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom