• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 Vs 770 - Stock & OC Gaming Benchmarks

Caporegime
OP
It's a miracle it survived as long as it did after all those suicide runs to artifact city :p

Oh, and 1250/1900. Almost, dammit...

:D

To be fair my card could run 1300 without artifacts so 1250/1823 was a breeze, if i could keep it cool enough.

Look at you with 1250 core, i thought you were limited to 1200/1800? Still impressive though you were still a good few fps faster than a golden 770 at 1200/1800.

Caporegime
OP
lol, I can run 1250/1900 24/7, I just stick with 1200/1800 as there isn't much of an advantage and I guess it might help the card live longer.
1300+ for benching does get a bit sparkly though :/

Furry muff. Crank it up to 1300 and beat my score, come on. Probably the only difference between our scores now is my i7 @5ghz with HT vs your i5.

Caporegime
OP
LOL you obviously didn't read the charts because a HD 7970 OC is matching a GTX780 at most playable settings. Even though the GTX 770 OC loses more often than not against a HD 7970 OC it is so close as to be irrelevant in most games. The only time a GTX780 pulls significantly ahead against GTX770 OC and HD 7970 OC is when the settings are almost unplayable with FPS dropping into the 20s. Shogun is showing a massive GTX780 advantage, other than that it is not significantly faster than an OC GTX770 or HD 7970 OC.

Before anyone chimes in with an "But the GTX780 will OC as well" I am specifically referring to this statement. "talk of a 7970 OC being close to a 780 was just completely false"

The 7970ghz clocked at 1200 or higher is still a serious force to be reckoned with.

No I don't think you read the charts properly. The 780 OC is a good margin ahead in all charts. And so it should be being a mini Titan :).

Yes i think he was talking about clocked 7970 being equal to stock 780 £299 vs £550.

I was obviously talking about a like for like comparison as I don't see the point of comparing one card overclocked to another at stock other than for a point of reference.

I think its worth comparing when there is over £200 difference between the cards. :)

Lol with the way you speak to people im amazed you don't end up with more black eyes. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yes but then you can overclock the 780 and the difference is large. Whether it's worth the difference is another matter.

I don't know what he was talking about to be honest :D.

I don't really see the point of overclocked vs not overclocked comparisons. It's like racing a Ferrari limited to 2nd gear and it being matched by a Suzuki Ibiza with all gears enabled and then saying, "yeah but the Suzuki matched the Ferrari in these conditions". :D

Extreme example but the point holds true.

The point is quite simple, so ill explain it to you. Its worth comparing when the card you're comparing to is almost double the price. Its interesting then when you can match something costing almost double the price with something costing considerably less. For the majority of people this is definitely worth comparing.

Caporegime
OP
But then you can overclock the 780 as well so it is completely pointless. You can explain all you like but it doesn't make it any less stupid :D.

You're assuming that somebody buying is going to overclock the 7970 but not the 780. Either compare them at stock or compare them while overclocked. The difference in performance might be worth it while overclocked and if somebody is going to buy a card and is interested in 7970 OC performance then they're just as likely going to be interested in 780 OC performance.

The point is you can match the performance of a card costing £550 with a card costing £299, assuming you keep the free games. Of course you can overclock the 780, but the point still remains. If the difference in price between the cards was much smaller, it wouldn't be worth mentioning, but thats not the case. To be able to match stock performance of a card costing £550 or more with a card costing £299 or more is amazing in my opinion. What other cards can you do that with where there is that much difference between the price?

Caporegime
OP
What happened did you kill a card?

Nope natural causes. Incase you missed my post earlier in the thread.

Well i guess now is a good a time as any to release some shocking news into the community. The 680 slayer is dead. :eek: :( I woke up one morning and got no display. Sent it back to ocuk and Bailey took one look at it and said it was goosed and sent it back to msi for repair or replacement. One month later nothing from msi so they offered me a refund. So here i am now with £375 7950 crossfire.

I will never forget that 7970, especially the ease with which it dispatched 680's worth up to £450 for the cost of £270.

Caporegime
OP
Ahah.... yeah, I never push my GPU's to the point where i'm hypnotised by the freaky lightshow on my screen just to gain a few extra points in Heaven Valley :p

On my GPU that begins at around 1215 to 1230Mhz, so it never goes over 1200Mhz, just saying...... its still alive :D

I had a feeling something was wrong a day or two before hand as i was getting crashes and artifacting in fifa 2013 at stock clocks (1010/1375). Next morning, nothing. A whole host of over priced 680 cards took a deep breath after the gpu coroner left the scene. :p

Caporegime
OP
Don't worry, you can get a fresh slayer to get GTX 770's and quite possibly GTX 780's trembling around September / October time. ;)

A pair of 7950's should cover the cost of an 8970.

I'll keep the rooks and knights covered by getting myself a lower higher end Green slayer.

Its gonna need to beat a titan before ill even consider it. Very happy with the performance from 7950 crossfire and this is before the new drivers, so we'll see.

Caporegime
OP
I haven't used dual GPU since my 9600 GT SLI.

I think if I am going to do CF it will be 7950's, if your going to do something like that it seems to me there is no point really with anything less, even though a pair of 7870's will beat a 7970, may even match a GTX 780, the 7950 is so much more GPU for not much more money and just built for CF.

I was curious about Tahiti LE, its a very nice GPU, no regrets. But time to move on to better things, I do want the new tech when it gets here.
But if i'm not impressed i'll pick up a cheap 7950...or two :)

I'm actually fairly experienced with crossfire, had 1900xtx x2 and x1950xtx x2 and 2900xt x2. However i was a noob back then so wouldn't surprise me if i was using old drivers most of the time. :o

Its come a long way since then tbf. Can't wait to see what the new drivers can do. Smoother performance or more fps sounds like a choice that every multi gpu user wants.

Oh no, Matt defo killed it with all that tinkering :D

:o :D

Caporegime
OP
I decided to run Hitman out of curiosity sake. In 1080P, neither GPU went above 60% usage and the CPU was at 4.7Ghz.
hitman2-1.jpg

hitman25960x1080.jpg

2013-06-23_00002.jpg

I then ran it at 5960x1080 and both GPU's were at 99%

hitman5960x1080.jpg

hitman25960x1080.jpg

2013-06-23_00004-1.jpg

Surprising how little the GPU's were used at 1920x1080 but nice to see them running at full speed at the bigger resolution. A very good looking game but I do find it a tad boring.

Ran a comparison for you at 1080p, Ultra x8AA. Gpu usage was around 87-90% with my cpu at 4.7ghz.

58SEftf.jpg

Caporegime
OP
I'll run x4 shortly and report back, im going to clock my cpu up to 5ghz see if i can get better gpu usage.

Anand results look there or thereabouts. TPU's just look wrong, either that or they're using very old drivers. Gamegpu doesn't have any multi gpu results so doesn't mean much, but im guessing thats on old drivers as well as it was likely pulled from their game gpu bench which is normally done around the time of release.

I'm using 13.6 beta 2 and the 13.5 caps.

AMD cards don't seem to feel much of a hit when you whack up the AA in this game either, likely because of the 384bit bus/3gb of vram.

Caporegime
OP
This is why I never trust paid reviewers. That Hitman bench is a standardised in game bench result, so all those fluctuations are clearly wrong and the same goes for Tomb Raider.

A few brown envelopes fly about me thinks :D

The problem is that not every site uses the in game benchmark. If they did then our results would more often match up. I hate benching games without an in game benchmark, its not consistent enough. At least i know with Hitman, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock etc you get the same results everytime.

Caporegime
OP
Will do give me 10 mins :)

Atta boy. This is what Scotty managed with his 770.

2500k @ 5.0

770 Lightning 1385/8210

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Agreed.

When we did the BF3 bench, if someone was pap at it and someone was awesomes, the results would not tally up even on the exact same systems.

I do wish more devs would implement a standardised bench like Tomb Raider/Bioshock/Metro LL etc.

Yes will be delighted if they get a proper bench in bf4, really hope they do. Will settle some arguments for sure. :p

Caporegime
OP
Definitely cpu bottlenecked at 1080p with x4 AA. Even with the cpu at 5ghz usage was still only 67-77%.

Nry1j7M.jpg

With x8 usage was a bit higher, 87-97%, though it only crept up to 97% at the end.

O78ZVnS.jpg

67.8fps avg

Not bad, you need to find a few more fps to tie with scotty and double that to catch the 7970 though.

uh6fq11.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom