• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7990 Custom Bios - Remove Throttling

Soldato
Runs silky smooth on those. Was just hoping for extra performance from your non throttle at the top. Maybe I need to check your BIOS's in pos 1 installed correctly and check what's in BIOS 1.

One thing I do get moving the switch then rebooting is a 'light' blue screen with a sad face saying it has encountered a fatal error. Must be part of the POST. After a few seconds it reboots itself and pick the card up properly.

I also have had problems installing the drivers. SCreen stays blank for 10 mins requiring hard reset. I now cannot untick gaming evolved. Used sweeper and fusion but to no avail. Wish ATIman uninstaller worked under 8.1. You cant use AMD uninstall itil as it ruins windows.

A thought - I saw in another post about problems with PCI-e Gen 3. Is your BIOS written solely for Gen 3.0 or is that an option when fettling BIOS's.

Cheers

Woodsta

Caporegime
OP
Runs silky smooth on those. Was just hoping for extra performance from your non throttle at the top. Maybe I need to check your BIOS's in pos 1 installed correctly and check what's in BIOS 1.

One thing I do get moving the switch then rebooting is a 'light' blue screen with a sad face saying it has encountered a fatal error. Must be part of the POST. After a few seconds it reboots itself and pick the card up properly.

I also have had problems installing the drivers. SCreen stays blank for 10 mins requiring hard reset. I now cannot untick gaming evolved. Used sweeper and fusion but to no avail. Wish ATIman uninstaller worked under 8.1. You cant use AMD uninstall itil as it ruins windows.

A thought - I saw in another post about problems with PCI-e Gen 3. Is your BIOS written solely for Gen 3.0 or is that an option when fettling BIOS's.

Cheers

Woodsta

Yeah something is wrong tbh, not sure what you've done wrong. Retrace your steps. As for the driver issue, I've dealt with and explained the situation to that specific problem here. Follow that guide and it will work perfectly.

Soldato
Thanks I'll folow that.

The other thought I have is my PSU. Since your BIOS increases the TDP I think my old 650W Antec true power trio just cant deliver the stable voltages required and with a 4.4Ghz OC and a 7990 I think the PSU is at it's limits and was never built to the standards of voltage delivery required for todays systems. At stock I think it was at its limits. It's just another niggling 'could be this component'. It's the oldest thing in the system and looks like an OEM prebuilt PSU.

I knew when I got the 7990 it may not be upto it. At 7 yrs old I think I may have to move to the OCUK shop and get a new PSU. I like those 850W Be Quiet for under £100

Soldato
Get a decent gold 750-850W PSU. You need a good quality one for a card like this. :)

I think Be Quiet are particulary harsh on certifying their PSU's. Under certification this should be silver and under 230V it is a smidge off being gold. If I can afford a 7990 and run it then I can afford that smidge of leccy I'm losing in efficiency from the wall.

that 850W Runs
Eff. Load
88% @20%
89% @50%
86% @100%

Then again I wait to be corrected and be made a 'dunce geek' as to my poor understanding on efficiency.

XFX PSU's arent they Seasonics inside but cheaper? Maybe get a Gold rated XFX?

What would you guys buy?

best

Associate
Get a decent gold 750-850W PSU. You need a good quality one for a card like this. :)

I am seeing no higher than 930w (peaks) from the wall with my 1000w OCZ gold.

^ running 3DMark Firestrike & tomb raider benchmark note: I use a higher resolution which from what I've read will use more power.

I'm measuring from the wall, not sure if this is the best method?

Last edited:
Associate
Matt, if I have two cards should I pull one and flash?

Or will I have the option of selecting the card I wish to flash?

Edit: "atiflash -i" shows all GPU's for all cards.

Additionally, installing ATI drivers 9.2 beta resulted in the installer getting stuck in a loop and then my screens going blank.

Beta 9.4 failed to install the display driver.

The above is on Windows 8.1

Last edited:
Associate
I already tired removing the broken cert that didn't work.

What eventually worked was:

Remove drivers
Power off
switch to bios 2 manually on the cards
Power back on & install drivers

Maybe Matt's bios doesn't like the Asus cards?

Associate
I already tired removing the broken cert that didn't work.

What eventually worked was:

Remove drivers
Power off
switch to bios 2 manually on the cards
Power back on & install drivers

Maybe Matt's bios doesn't like the Asus cards?

I running Matt's BIOS on my Asus card.
Maybe using DDU to remove video drivers may have helped.

Ok I want to lower the default voltage via MSI Afterburner. What free program do I use to stress test my 7990 for stability?

Soldato
LtMatt,

Morning!

What program did you use to read the BIOS? I'm going to check my pos 1 BIOS (yours) and ensure theyare the same on both cards - and different from pos 2.

Got a few weird things happening now. I used to use ATI man uninstaller to disable ULPS but with AB it halves my framrates. It's that or afterburner. Using AB v17. ULPS on - framerates in the 120-130 steady. Maybe it's just AB dunno why it is just monitoring but I'm getting 70-80's

Gonna install my new PSU and then go for a W8 reinstall as I have OS on a dedicated SSD.

When ULPS is enabled and monitors show a core at 99%. this is just a misread right and the core is doing nothing?

Thanks in advance

Caporegime
OP
LtMatt,

Morning!

What program did you use to read the BIOS? I'm going to check my pos 1 BIOS (yours) and ensure theyare the same on both cards - and different from pos 2.

Got a few weird things happening now. I used to use ATI man uninstaller to disable ULPS but with AB it halves my framrates. It's that or afterburner. Using AB v17. ULPS on - framerates in the 120-130 steady. Maybe it's just AB dunno why it is just monitoring but I'm getting 70-80's

Gonna install my new PSU and then go for a W8 reinstall as I have OS on a dedicated SSD.

When ULPS is enabled and monitors show a core at 99%. this is just a misread right and the core is doing nothing?

Thanks in advance

I use VBE7 Tool to view the bios files.

I use afterburner to disable ULPS as i know it works. You should always keep it off or you sometimes get the gpu2 at 99% bug. The gpu is working so its not ideal. I don't bother with ATIman. I use driver fusion as that works for me. See my afterburner overclocking thread if you want a copy.

Back
Top Bottom