• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7990 Custom Bios - Remove Throttling

Soldato
Matt i've got a problem with your old 7950... It's tempted me to join the 7990 club :D I'll be re-visiting this thread when it arrives tomorrow and appreciate you putting together a guide.

Associate
Yeah it bodged my install many months ago. If you have system restore running you'll be ok. Which version of the tool did you use? If its the old one then Win8 is not supported.

Matt, yeah I think so... not sure - it screwed up all my power management settings in W8.

Good news is after running UDD I got the AMD latest beta drivers to install using your bios, on the broken install.

I will re-install W8 tonight (again).

Caporegime
OP
Matt i've got a problem with your old 7950... It's tempted me to join the 7990 club :D I'll be re-visiting this thread when it arrives tomorrow and appreciate you putting together a guide.

Lol god are you trying to give me a heart attack man!! I thought it was broken or something. Wow you're not hanging about are you? I should have kept one myself for tri-fire. :D

I reckon i must have been partly responsible for all the 7990 sales of late, here and elsewhere. I wish i was on commission. :D

When you see figures like these, its hard not to like a £380 gpu taking out £800 690's and £550 780TI's like nobodys business.

2ppnadu.jpg

2quolmw.jpg

Soldato
I reckon i must have been partly responsible for all the 7990 sales of late, here and elsewhere. I wish i was on commission. :D

I suspect the pricing had more to do with it really. :D
Although this is no doubt something that might have persuaded a few fence sitters!

Not sure as many would have been sold at £1200 with or without this thread!

I do have to talk myself out of making the switch that you made on a daily basis!
For the price I paid for my 7950s it just doesn't make sense to sell them and get a 7990. Doesn't stop me wanting to though!

Caporegime
OP
I suspect the pricing had more to do with it really. :D
Although this is no doubt something that might have persuaded a few fence sitters!

Not sure as many would have been sold at £1200 with or without this thread!

I do have to talk myself out of making the switch that you made on a daily basis!
For the price I paid for my 7950s it just doesn't make sense to sell them and get a 7990. Doesn't stop me wanting to though!

Haha yep you have a good point. Still every little helps i suppose. The biggest gain for me is with my bios is the 7990 is as fast, in a few cases faster, than my 7950 crossfire setup at 1125/1600. I had to run the Ice-Q cooler at 100% to keep them cool enough, where as i can leave the 7990 on auto fan. If you have a good case cooling with a decent exhaust, auto on the 7990 will keep the fan extremely quiet. 50% or lower its very hard to hear the 7990 cooler at all and i wouldn't say it gets loud until you get up to around 70%.

The downsides to the 7990 are coil whine and you need good airflow in the case and a capable exhaust fan or two.

Soldato
Lol god are you trying to give me a heart attack man!! I thought it was broken or something. Wow you're not hanging about are you? I should have kept one myself for tri-fire. :D

When you see figures like these, its hard not to like a £380 gpu taking out £800 690's and £550 780TI's like nobodys business.

Had to be done ;)

If i'm honest i'd planned on offering on the pair of 7950's, I figured i'd left it about long enough and asked enough questions to get a decent deal but someone jumped in with an offer so I only got one. The 7990 deal was just too good to pass up, a 7970 would set me back 230 locally so 360 for twice the power seemed like a good deal.

Caporegime
OP
Had to be done ;)

If i'm honest i'd planned on offering on the pair of 7950's, I figured i'd left it about long enough and asked enough questions to get a decent deal but someone jumped in with an offer so I only got one. The 7990 deal was just too good to pass up, a 7970 would set me back 230 locally so 360 for twice the power seemed like a good deal.

Yeah im surprised they lasted as long as they did, good little cards. I posted a picture comparing the 7950 Ice-Q's to the 7990, it always raises a smile. Two mammoth beasts vs the long thin 12 incher. (thats what she said)

20frebp.jpg

Caporegime
OP
You're not helping you know!

:D

One more just for you. I actually sent the previous one back for over heating. OcuK said it was within tolerances though :)eek:) so i ended up DSR'ing it. Thankfully the second one was perfect (bar some coil whine) and was much much cooler. Anyway i snapped a brief pic of it along with the psu that came with it before i fitted it inside. Should have taken more pics actually because its a nice piece of kit. First gpu ive ever owned that has a backplate as well. :o

EDIT

I will pull it out (thats what she said) and take some better pictures shortly.

24ouiwx.jpg

Soldato
:D

One more just for you. I actually sent the previous one back for over heating. OcuK said it was within tolerances though :)eek:) so i ended up DSR'ing it. Thankfully the second one was perfect (bar some coil whine) and was much much cooler. Anyway i snapped a brief pic of it along with the psu that came with it before i fitted it inside. Should have taken more pics actually because its a nice piece of kit. First gpu ive ever owned that has a backplate as well. :o

EDIT

I will pull it out (thats what she said) and take some better pictures shortly.

24ouiwx.jpg

Don't look now but there are some XFX logos showing! :)
Actually that makes it much easier to resist...

Caporegime
OP
Don't look now but there are some XFX logos showing! :)
Actually that makes it much easier to resist...

Yeah well the offer was too good to refuse. Two year warranty with UK based RMA. XFX have an RMA center in Preston now apparently. (Thanks WhyScotty)

It puts my Asus 7990 to shame on temps and overclocking. Yep thats me in 11th place with my XFX 7990. :D

agxxBND.jpg

Soldato
Yeah well the offer was too good to refuse. Two year warranty with UK based RMA. XFX have an RMA center in Preston now apparently. (Thanks WhyScotty)

So they'll be quicker to refuse the RMA or send the original card back as not broken? :)

The way I see it XFX don't make really special products and aren't reputed to have the best RMA service. Asus may have bad RMA, but at least, if they work, they're products are usually top notch.

If Gibbo refuses to stock them because of RMA stuff, then it sounds to me like there might be issues there.

Anyway, discussing XFX is off topic.
I'm using the custom BIOSs you did for the 7950s and imagine if I ever did get a 7990 I'd probably try the custom BIOS for that too. Good work :)

Caporegime
OP
So they'll be quicker to refuse the RMA or send the original card back as not broken? :)

The way I see it XFX don't make really special products and aren't reputed to have the best RMA service. Asus may have bad RMA, but at least, if they work, they're products are usually top notch.

If Gibbo refuses to stock them because of RMA stuff, then it sounds to me like there might be issues there.

Anyway, discussing XFX is off topic.
I'm using the custom BIOSs you did for the 7950s and imagine if I ever did get a 7990 I'd probably try the custom BIOS for that too. Good work :)

Maybe but i don't often have to RMA cards. In Fact ive only done it twice since the early 90's. The most recent time was using MSI, supposedly the best. They didn't even send me a card back. After that i changed my views slightly.

Custom bios is the way forward. ;)

Associate
So fresh install of W8 and it still failed to install, I disconnected my other 2 screens (all connected by DisplayPort) and the driver installed (using your bios).

Thought I'd give feedback in case anyone else experiences this odd issue, although I suspect I'm the only one :)

Caporegime
OP
So fresh install of W8 and it still failed to install, I disconnected my other 2 screens (all connected by DisplayPort) and the driver installed (using your bios).

Thought I'd give feedback in case anyone else experiences this odd issue, although I suspect I'm the only one :)

Well thats a strange one. Handy tip though cheers.

Associate
Flash ok but absolutely refused to install newest beta drivers
had to go back to original before they would install.
I might try again tomoz but cant think what the problem could be.

W7 btw

Back
Top Bottom